Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2021 2:35:31 PM EDT
I’m looking at doing a ccw / self-defense related class or two with my wife in the next year or so. I’m proficient with a handgun/striking/grappling and have been carrying for a while but my wife just started carrying and training. Does anyone have some good class recommendations for us to take? I have some listed that I’ve been looking at but would like some advice.

Sheepdog Response - Tim Kennedy
ECQC - Craig Douglas
Sage Dynamics - Aaron Cowen,
Warrior Poet pistol class,
CSAT pistol 1 - Paul Howe,
Thunder Ranch pistol class

P.s. we live in the north Houston area but would drive a ways.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
John Murphy is a member here who travels around the country doing classes.

https://www.fpftraining.com
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#2]
Craig Douglas is probably the best at what he does with ECQC, but that class doesn't cover all the bases.

Paul Howe I can recommend.

From his videos John Murphy looks like he has excellent training.

Not as familiar with the other instructors you listed

A list of Texas options (by region): Texas Training schools
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
There are good local options in Houston.  Would save you the travel money.  NRA Personal Protection classes are very affordable place to start for your wife.  I've trained with Hoffner, MAST Solutions and Israeli Self Defense.  Have had recommendations for GLC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top