Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 10:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony]
I wanted to get Dad a nice scope for Christmas. Hopefully Optics Planet gives a shipping notice before then (it's been a week).

Seems like it has a good tracking reputation. I guess the illumination is near as bright as the 1-5x. I'm ambivalent about FFP vs SFP for KD range. I haven't been able to let him look at floating dot, chevron, ring, etc reticles, so I figure a mildot crosshair would be familiar enough while being simple enough, but allowing more options than a duplex.

My work schedule hasn't been the most convenient. I might get a range day next month to help Da set the scope up. Otherwise it'll be February before I have a chance to shoot the local match.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know that scope so no opinion on it, but when I went to look it up, I don’t see it in their lineup?

Is it a discontinued model?

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RegionRat:
I don't know that scope so no opinion on it, but when I went to look it up, I don't see it in their lineup?

Is it a discontinued model?

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii

View Quote
I guess the 2-10 didn't sell well, hence the clearance price on OP.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-2-10x42mm
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RegionRat] [#3]
Looks like a percentage of the reviews on the start of the batches had workmanship issues and Burris fixed them.

The only thing with a discontinued model, is if you happen to get one from that early batch and get unlucky.

By now, I am just guessing, but my guess is they would swap it out for something different or refund you.

The specs look good for a hunting rifle. I would risk it if they give you the right deal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Omg, the idiot who thinks 1 MOA = 1 inch at 100yds and dials up to 50 MOA is surprised when the impacts are higher than 50".

That .047" adds up, y'all.

Odd that on the 2-10x's page there aren't any reviews on it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
3 weeks and no shipping notice...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Optics Planet has always been a strange deal in terms of what they really stock and how long it takes to ship.

It gave me the impression that in many instances, they were a virtual dealer not a brick and mortar stock distribution operation. So I think they really don't stock many of the items they are pushing and that's why those shipping warnings and stock numbers are so strange.

That is during "normal" times and we certainly aren't in normal times these days. I just hope they don't flake on you after tying you up for a long time, only to tell you they can't do it. Maybe it is just super slow due to the holidays and plague. No way to know for now. In any case, hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
In for opinions as this scope interests me. Hope you get it soon, OP.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a shipping notice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#9]
Burris XTRII 2-10x42 scope, Mil dot/Mil knob
and
Burris AR Signature QD P.E.P.R. 34mm mount

Out of the box:

-Heavy, 2.5lbs together. Compared to the 1.2lbs of the outgoing Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 and Vortex mount.

-Mount seems to trade robustness for serviceability (though it's hard to design a good QD without royalties).

-The front lever is somewhat difficult to pull without tough, small fingers, or tools.

-The scope manual says "The riflescope is shipped from the factory with the optical center set 20 MOA below center. Without tapered bases, the initial sight-in or boresighting will likely produce a considerably high initial point of impact. Because of the Zero Click Stop feature, as shipped from the factory the scope has no immediate capability for downward point-of-impact adjustment." So it's 20 MOA up from mechanical center, with 25 up and 65 down available when the zero stop is modified?

-The polymer ring inserts are a little confusing and make leveling the reticle slightly difficult. I will try a 20 MOA set in front and 0 MOA set in rear.

-The eye relief is on the long side; spec'd at 3.5 to 4.2 inches. I first mocked it up on my carbine for the lolz, but then put it on Dad's rifle as far forward as proper mounting allows. On 10x it's likely still short, so I swapped a drop-in quad rail so he can square up his position some.

-Turrets are stiff, but not very crisp. Parallax knob is firm and smooth.

-Illumination knob is firm and smooth, and goes 120* CCW from Off - 1 to 11 with off between - Off. Illumination may be daylight visible (haven't gotten to look during day). The battery cover can unscrew when going CCW, so I'm leaving it on the high end Off as if illumination is needed, the brightest setting will probably be ideal.

-Magnification ring is firm and smooth during it's 180* travel. The FFP Mil scale shows up around 5x. The outer bars aren't as bold as I'd prefer, but are noticeable. The inner makes a fine crosshair at the lower powers; the 10 Mil span means frame bracketing isn't likely, but can bracket a man at 50yds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good so far.

The $64 Dollar Question.... Does your dad like it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RegionRat:
Looks good so far.

The $64 Dollar Question.... Does your dad like it?
View Quote
I think he appreciates it, but is happier that I'm putting it together. We had a good time making innuendos. I don't think he's told any of the local yokels, so this should continue on Saturday.

I mentioned to a friend that it took me more than 30 minutes to put together because there's more bits and baubs than usual. He said he needed the TA51 mount for his ACOG because he's a liberal arts major, and an Aggie.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Initial boresight at 30ft in the house says something ain't right (HOB and parallax accounted). I should be like 7 Mil high, but it's showing 5 Mil low. I hope I didn't derp the ring inserts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]
You can trust your eyes to a large degree. If it looks way off, in my world it is way off.

I have boresighted everything from airguns to cannons by looking down the bore, so I would guess to straighten it out on the bench at home before you get to the range unless the range has a comfortable spot to work.

You know what you are doing, so the rest of us will sit back and live vicariously while your dad gets a second Christmas. In for the range report.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#14]
Good shakedown. 459/500 points is about average. 12 Xs is a little higher.

Sighters seemed to be a 0.1 or 0.2 Mil low.
Standing sucked. Using 10x with no practice will do that.

Sitting was okay, but low.
Attachment Attached File

I think he made a sight adjustment after. Now he was warmed up and acclimating.

Prone Rapid was a better than expected. He said the first two shots were done differently, but by the 2nd mag he'd reverted to aiming by breathing and settled in.
Attachment Attached File

This Prone Slow was his best in a long while. He tried illuminating for the 2nd string, but it somehow wasn't bright enough in the overcast conditions, so he left it off.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Summary target.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
From the factory, the scope had 18.7 Mils up available, out of 26.2 Mil total. With the 0 MOA ring insert sets, he moved 5.6 Mil up to zero.

18.7 - 5.6 = 13.1.
26.2 - 18.7 = 7.5. 7.5 + 5.6 = 13.1.

The elevation should be at mechanical center.

Windage is 0.7 Mil left. Good.

I'll try the inclining rings again sometime as I'd like this rifle to be able to dial to 1000yds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#16]
New scope shakedown: Burris XTRII 2-10x42
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:55:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#17]
I got to use the left over ammo on Sunday. 3 shots on 2x, 3 shots on 4.5x, 3 shots on 10x with just elbows on the bench. Then a couple shots on 10x Standing. I broke most of them low or left, but without sling tension damping muzzle rise during bore time, they hit accurately not precisely within the MR-31.

I dig the Mil Dots. The bars are a little thin. Didn't have time for a POV photo, but tried to scale the targets in MS Paint. I've been having trouble thinking in Mils instead of 3.4 MOA per Mil or 1/3 MOA per click, especially relative to rings. This might help.

SR-1 at 2x. There are no dots to the eye. Just a fine crosshair.

SR-1 at 10x.
Attachment Attached File

MR-31C at 10x.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#18]
https://compasslake.com/product/match-rifle-float-tube/

Will this fit behind a rifle FSB? How much does it weigh? Is the rail Anschutz or Freeland?

ETA: Theresa said "it will fit slightly behind the gas block with a rifle length gas block.  The slot is actually dimensioned for a Clowerd, the standard for highpower."
I think it's a Cloward handstop on Da's pre-'64 M70, so that should be Freeland. Looks like the one here: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/06/baercloward-masterpiece-rifle-saved-for-the-grand-kids/
Attachment Attached File

Panzer added that it's 2" diameter and weighs 14oz.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:12:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#19]
Earlier this week, I replaced the RRA trigger with a LaRue. It feels noticeably better in this receiver than mine. Compared to the RRA, it has a crisper break and smoother reset, though the locktime seems slower. The old grocery scale says about 2.8lb 1st stage and 1.0lb 2nd stage. I haven't gotten Da's comment about the bow shape which is a little flatter in radius and across.

We also refined the diopter adjustment, and eye relief which required moving forward one slot. My opinion is that a fixed 2.5 or 3.0" is ideal. Far enough away to not tap eyewear, not far enough that headwear can fall into the sightline. The Burris' 3.6-4.2" between low and high power is a minor nuisance.

Standing. The first shot was on 10x. He remembered that wasn't the best idea and turned it down to 4.5x. I've said before that optical sights feel "digital" compared to irons. Even at lower power, I think Da's trigger finger was reactive instead of proactive; the reticle passes the center before the shot breaks. Impacts were outside calls.
I've learned that FFP reticles need a bolder element closer to the middle. Whether it's a thicker subtension, chevron, circle, dAyLiGhT bright illumination, etc. At 2x, the Mil scale forms a crosshair a bit too fine for the eye to track well.

70/100.
Attachment Attached File

Sitting, he asked my suggestion for magnification, to which I replied 6x as that should be enough to see the X-ring, but minimize the digital feeling. He said he didn't quite settle in.

95-2x.
Attachment Attached File

Back to 10x for Prone Rapid. I guess light condition is to blame for the 9:00 shift as several shooters went left.

98-2x.
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow 1: 1 click right. Low shots on call.

98-3x.
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow 2: Another click right. He thinks the 14lb weight finally wears him. A half pound off the front and moving the swivel/handstop back about 2" ought to help.

93-2x.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#20]
The other night I quickly detached the scope to replace the drop-in quad rails with A2 plastics which saved at least 0.5lb, and quickly retached the scope. I chose to mow my backyard jungle instead of watching yesterday's outing.

Attachment Attached File

Weather was nice, light-moderate overcast. He left it on 10x and didn't use illumination which likely wouldn't have been visible anyway. Sighters were accurate. He derped the first shot Standing into a miss. Then he did this.

Sitting: 98/100-2x
Attachment Attached File

Prone Rapid: 98/100-4x
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow 1: 98/100-3x
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow 2: 96/100-2x
Attachment Attached File

Aggregate was 466/500-15x, so apparently he had a 76/100-4x Standing.
ETA: I just remembered the scoreboard pic he briefly showed me, and it was a 76-0x, with Prone Slow having 8x, so I'm guessing the scorer was generous with the 3:00 Ten in Prone Rapid as well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#21]
"He left it on 10x and didn't use illumination which likely wouldn't have been visible anyway"

Is the illumination on this too dim for daytime use against the SR targets?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Aye. Just the nature of less expensive, etched reticle, battery powered illumination. Dunno if the 2x2016 trick will work or burn the circuitry. I'm still curious to try a rear red/front blue tint.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't attend the match on 4-Sept-21. Usual shooter condition - no practice or dryfire before the morning of. Switched to 25gr IMR4064 which worked just fine years ago.

I forgot to toggle OnTarget to Mils.

Standing: 75/100.

Sitting: 98/100-1x
Attachment Attached File

Prone Rapid: 98/100-1x. The last couple times have been accurate, but imprecise. Hmm.
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow One: 99/100-4x.
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow Two: 94/100-3x. Dunno.
Attachment Attached File

Summary: 464/500-9x. I'm gonna load up a bunch of Hornady 55gr FMJs and make him practice, dammit.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I spent some more coin. Da doesn't want to touch that Compass Lake HBAR, so the only appreciable weight that could come off the front is the handguard. I want to like the BCM Mod 3 grip, but we're not jiving, so I'm putting it on his gun to make it more SR unlegal.

I want a 3D printer friend to make a cant-slotted A2 buttplate to fit the UBR2.

11.5lbs. Balanced right in front of the receiver.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#26]
25gr IMR4064 under 50gr VMAX.

Standing, 87/100-1x.

Attachment Attached File

Sitting, 95/100-1x. He went back to cross-ankle.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Rapid, 96/100-3x. He shot on the SR-1, hence the transposition.

Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow, 100/100-4x + 97/100-6x.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Summary, 475/500-15x.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#27]
Da has thing where one leg gets numb if he stands too long, usually equal to about shot 6-7, which has made Standing a challenge but he's still bouncing in the 80s. Life has settled down some since 2020-2021 and his mind seems to be more idle while shooting which has helped his sling supported positions.

These were shot with 25gr IMR3031 under 50gr VMAX at 2.255".

26th of March at Stephens County Rifle and Pistol club - Duncan, Oklahoma.

Standing: 84/100-1x
Sitting: 98/100-3x
Prone "Rapid": 98/100-3x
Prone Slow: 97/100-3x and 100/100-5x
Aggregate: 477/500-15x

Attachment Attached File

"That looks like a HRB target!" - match director

Attachment Attached File

2nd of April at home.

Aggregate: 456ish/500. He didn't wake up well, but finished strong. He also had to load his own ammo for the first time in a while. When I was loading for May, I noticed the April extras were short - about 2.20".

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

7th of May at home. Leg didn't go numb, but his back had discomfort.
476/500-11x.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Backs and necks are unforgiving. I really feel for folks with serious problems.

Great shooting with all things considered. Hope the numbness and nerve issues don't get in the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top