Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2018 9:19:10 AM EDT
Looking at clotting products. There's several that I see...some are pads, some granules, then there's gauze. For situations that would most likely be gunshot or knife wounds...which product(s) are best for these applications?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Celox Gauze.

** Not an EMT or doctor.  Better people than me will be along shortly.

In the meantime...https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Quikclot_vs_Celox/18-680276/

@bcauz3y
@The_Beer_Slayer
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What I have always used is granulated sugar, but that is only on small booboos
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
for gunshots/penetrating wounds the gauze is preferred. but you need to know how to use it and how to pack a wound.
View Quote
Yep. Very much this. Infused gauze is where it's at, but you still need to know what to do with it.

The granules are basically a shit-show for self aid and probably still a shit-show for buddy aid. Imagine trying to pour a pouch of pop rocks in the mouth of a wild dog during a gunfight.

That's how I imagine it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#5]
Celox is the most generally effective of the two considering that it doesn’t rely on the patient’s own clotting cascade to be effective. For the general population that may have pre-existing coagulopathies from meds or medical conditions it gives you much better results and works just as well on heathy patients. There’s no downside to using it.

ETA: The gauze is easier to control and if you’re packing a wound it’s MUCH easier to get it where it needs to go and keep it there. If you’re going to be backing up the granules with gauze anyway why not just delete a step?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of useful info here, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Celox Gauze.

** Not an EMT or doctor.  Better people than me will be along shortly.

In the meantime...https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Quikclot_vs_Celox/18-680276/

@bcauz3y
@The_Beer_Slayer
View Quote
That was a good read. I am on blood thinner for life and have been carrying Quick Clot but it sounds like Celox Rapid gauze would be better.
It is disappointing my Dr never mentioned such products when putting me on blood thinner.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
If you’ve got an emergency, which I’m pretty sure this thread is about, there are some common household items that are great at slowing/stopping bleeding- tampons, maxi pads, and disposable diapers.
View Quote
The issue with super absorbent items is that no clot can form if all the blood is absorbed into the dressing. A diaper and female sanitary products are designed to absorb liquid while keeping the surface they contact as dry as possible. You want to give the clot a framework to build off of and not lock it away inside someting because they’ll continue to bleed until the dressing is saturated.

The old school EMT thinking was the big giant trauma dressings to cover the heavy bleeds without realizing that was more or less just masking the problem by absorbing the blood vs actually stopping the bleed. Grabbing the big dressings for the big bleeds is a hard habit to break but it’s important to focus on the source of the bleed and stopping it, a well applied strip of sock would be better than all the store bought dressings in the world if they aren’t focused on controlling the bleed at the source.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a novice, but eager to learn more first aid and trauma treatments.

After doing a bit of research I've decided to go with ChitoSAM.

ChitoSAM 100 is a high-performance hemostatic, non-woven chitosan dressing spun directly from chitosan derived from crustaceans or snow crab shells. Designed to stop lethal bleeding rapidly, its ease of use is extremely effective. Works independently from the body's normal clotting processes
View Quote
https://www.sammedical.com/products/chitosam

Feel free to point me in a different direction before I purchase more.  I've already bought two of their large 3-inch x 6-foot z-fold bandage, which can be torn to size.  I plan to purchase more unless I learn of a better product.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
what he said.

proper dressing , apply pressure. that will stop 99% of big bleeds. in 30 years of ems i have never used a tq. never needed one. they are great for rapid blood loss when you don't have the time to manage a wound but they come with negative side effects and need to be used properly like anything else.
View Quote
The negative side effects are 100% mitigated with proper application and response time of stateside EMS.

But you are absolutely correct, pressure is what stops bleeding, not magic fairy dust in your kerlix.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#16]
most of the things I have seen could have been handled by direct pressure used appropriately.

always try to use the gauze.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:35:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Impregnated gauze is the way. Dont use powders.

Pressure is always the answer. Be it manual, or mechanical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top