Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2015 8:50:38 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've been thinking about swinging by a place or two in town to check out some BJJ classes.  I have never done any type of martial arts training in my life, except for the other day when I had a big ass spider crawling on my arm.  Damn black belt in 0.00045 seconds.  

What should I look for or ask about when I swing by?  I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the sport, especially the stuff aimed at noobs.  I have no interest in competing.  I read somewhere that it was suggested to ask if their training is geared more toward competition or self-defense (which is what I want).

I'm 38 and in "okay-ish" shape.  I don't work out, but I play ice hockey so I can be fairly active...I am NOT very limber, lol. (WTF AM I DOING THINKING ABOUT THIS?!)   Unfortunately, I can't really play too often since I'm out flying a lot, so I was thinking something like this would give me a better chance of making it to classes since there are several in a week.

Here is one of the places I was going to check out.  This guy goes to our church, I believe, but I haven't met him.  http://marciolaselva.wix.com/laselvamma

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go do it man. I'm older than you and started less than a year ago.
I absolutely love BJJ it has become more of a way of life at this point.

I've shared some of my experiences in the tacked thread above this thread.
As far as sport vs self defense a good school will mix in both I'd say.

That being said in my limited experience I feel like the majority of "sport jiu-Jitsu"  techniques will translate to self defense anyway.

Feel free to pm me wit any specific questions. I'm just a lowly white belt but ill try and help you if I can.

The school you linked seems pretty legit. Go observe a class and see what you think.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Just go do it man. I'm older than you and started less than a year ago.

I absolutely love BJJ it has become more of a way of life at this point.

I've shared some of my experiences in the tacked thread above this thread.

As far as sport vs self defense a good school will mix in both I'd say.

That being said in my limited experience I feel like the majority of "sport jiu-Jitsu"  techniques will translate to self defense anyway.

Feel free to pm me wit any specific questions. I'm just a lowly white belt but ill try and help you if I can.

The school you linked seems pretty legit. Go observe a class and see what you think.
View Quote
Thanks, denverdan!  I was going to hit a class last night to check it out, but got home from my trip a bit late.

We're going on vacation tomorrow so it'll have to wait until we return, but yeah, I'm really looking forward to at least giving it a shot.  Congrats on pushing yourself thru it, and thank you for the offer.  Will hit you up if I need anything.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 43 and also looking to start BJJ. I started DDP Yoga a while back to increase flexibility. I'm naturally stiff like a pretzel stick. I could barely touch my shins when I started. Now I can put my hands on the ground. (It's a great, no impact workout as well.)

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By KingRat:

I'm 43 and also looking to start BJJ. I started DDP Yoga a while back to increase flexibility. I'm naturally stiff like a pretzel stick. I could barely touch my shins when I started. Now I can put my hands on the ground. (It's a great, no impact workout as well.)
https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

View Quote

Wow, what an amazing video! Thank you for sharing it. And congrats on how we you are doing! I need to look into that!

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:

Wow, what an amazing video! Thank you for sharing it. And congrats on how we you are doing! I need to look into that!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

Hell yeah yoga is some intense stuff, my wife does it 5-6 nights a week. She actually plans on becoming an instructor before to long.

Both of you guys keep us posted on your jiu-Jitsu journey.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally had a chance to stop by and watch most of a class this morning.  It was a smaller class, I think there were three pairs of students, all white belts (4 men, 2 women).  

Looked like a lot of fun.  They have a free week trial, which I'll more than likely take them up on.  My wife said to give it a one month go to see how I like it.  Damn, it's so pricey tho.  

I was hoping to do it with my wife, but she feels guilty that the kids wouldn't be doing anything.  We didn't put our son back into hockey as it's so pricey (and he needs new gear all the time since he's growing) so she doesn't think it's fair that he wouldn't be doing anything and we would.  

I think a family monthly membership, which includes as much as we want of all classes taught, was $300.  Ugh...  will keep you guys updated.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It's definitely not cheap. After perusing the other BJJ thread, I notice a lot of expensive injuries as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]

It's definitely not cheap. After perusing the other BJJ thread, I notice a lot of expensive injuries as well.
View Quote
Ouch.  

Kinda funny that I've been considering dropping off my ice hockey team and starting BJJ to lessen the risk of injury.  D'oh!!!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Ouch.    

Kinda funny that I've been considering dropping off my ice hockey team and starting BJJ to lessen the risk of injury.  D'oh!!!  
View All Quotes
Ouch.    

I pay $125.00 a month for unlimited classes. I typically go three nights a week five classes as there are two on Tuesday and Thursday.
I try to make the Saturday open mat but family work etc etc I only make like one a month.

As far as injuries go I haven't had anything serious. A black eye or three, sore ribs, and the usual joint soreness but I am 42 after all.

Just pick your training partners carefully tap early tap often.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]

I pay $125.00 a month for unlimited classes. I typically go three nights a week five classes as there are two on Tuesday and Thursday.

I try to make the Saturday open mat but family work etc etc I only make like one a month.

As far as injuries go I haven't had anything serious. A black eye or three, sore ribs, and the usual joint soreness but I am 42 after all.

View All Quotes

Ouch.    

Good to hear (38) and great advice!

Also, a good update:  last night my Supervisor called me.  It's annual review (went really well, great marks) time, and the time when we find out about any increases and bonuses may be coming our way.  Let's just say it was a good conversation...  Looks like a green light!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Also, a good update:  last night my Supervisor called me.  It's annual review (went really well, great marks) time, and the time when we find out about any increases and bonuses may be coming our way.  Let's just say it was a good conversation...  Looks like a green light!
View All Quotes
Ouch.    

Good news for sure. Go to class, keep an open mind, don't be spazzy new white belt guy, and most importantly have fun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Will do. It'll probably be a little while before I'm able to register and start going, but looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Go in humble and ready to learn.

Don't talk about how things were done back when you took two months of "take ya dough" training.

Don't talk ANY smack, you'll regret it if you do. Humbleness is the hallmark of a good student.

Try to relax and make sure you are breathing correctly. The better players aren't going to "muscle" everything but instead will use leverage and technique.

These will be the ones that seem to roll forever with a new person and look bored, never "gas out" etc.

The more you tense every muscle in your body- when in reality you only need a couple muscle groups in work at one time- the easier you will tire out. Being tense all over also makes your escapes harder. It takes a while to learn this. As we all have the "I want to win!!" mindset wherein we feel we will do anything to win.

First couple years, focus 70% of your time to escapes, good movement, changing positions, etc. Everyone wants to learn some cool rare submission but the reality is EARLY ON, you won't get a lot of chances for the crazy stuff. But you WILL need to be able to escape various submissions, you'll need to be proficient in mount and side mount escapes, sweeps, passing guard, etc.

Focus your time there and you won't be wasting your time.

Finally, don't worry about "promotions"- this isn't "take ya dough" karate, you aren't going to get promoted for showing up to 2 classes. A decent school isn't going to promote you till they feel you are ready. None of that really matters. Heck it's more fun being a white belt cause their is less pressure to perform. If you lose to a higher belt level, where is their glory? Yet you get to purple, brown, etc. and you "lose" to a lower belt, you feel like a failure. When I was a new purple I remember thinking after a while that no one that wasn't at least brown had tapped me since I got up'ed. Well pride cometh before a fall as it says in the Good Book. Sure enough I was playing around too much with a high level blue and got into a triangle that was tight. I tapped. That was probably the BEST thing that happened to me in a long while. It reminded me to be humble and that it really is just about learning and fun. My game grew after that.

Try to be helpful to your instructor, come in early, clean mats, ask where you can help, etc. It will be appreciated. That's not sucking up, that's showing respect for your teacher, and any student worth a crap will do that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

Go in humble and ready to learn.

<snip>    
View Quote
Great advice, lowdown.  Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Ugh, I still need to get myself in there...they're actually running a free month for October; free anything and everything, as much as you want.  Of course, now we're getting a bit busier at work, and my wife and I are in the middle of getting geared up to go hunting/camping next weekend.  I'm hoping I'll be able to swing by after next weekend sometime.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I know this thread is old but...

I'm 37 & just started BJJ 3 months ago.  A lot of sore muscles are the only injuries I've had.

Go slow, your instructor will understand - especially if you're out of shape (I was/am).

Where are you in KS?  KCBJJ is a great school, but its on the MO side of KC.  Let me know where you are & I'll talk to my instructor about good schools in your area.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By JAD762:

I'm 37 & just started BJJ 3 months ago.  A lot of sore muscles are the only injuries I've had.

Go slow, your instructor will understand - especially if you're out of shape (I was/am).

Where are you in KS?  KCBJJ is a great school, but its on the MO side of KC.  Let me know where you are & I'll talk to my instructor about good schools in your area.
View Quote
Thanks, JAD762!  Good to hear you're doing well; I'm 38.  

I'm in Wichita.  Looks like we have a couple really good schools here in town.  I'm not sure when I'm going to get in.  It's still on my "to do" list, though I'm not getting any younger.  With hockey going and holidays coming up, it'll be a while.  Thanks for the offer, btw.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: denverdan] [#17]

I'm in Wichita.  Looks like we have a couple really good schools here in town.  I'm not sure when I'm going to get in.  It's still on my "to do" list, though I'm not getting any younger.  With hockey going and holidays coming up, it'll be a while.  Thanks for the offer, btw.  
View All Quotes

Do it just do it you'll love it

I just placed 4th (out of 16)  this last weekend in a tournament my best so far.
I did no Gi 155 lb division in the 18 and up age bracket.
I was seriously old enough to be the father of the guys I competed against.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#18]

I just placed 4th (out of 16) Heartland this last weekend in a tournament my best so far.

View All Quotes

I just placed 4th (out of 16) Heartland this last weekend in a tournament my best so far.

Wow, that's excellent!  Congratulations, dd!    

Last night I went out and played ice hockey against guys that, to me, looked like former college/minor league players.  I was dead.  DEAD.  I wanted to go home and cry, lol.    I need to lift some weights/push-ups/crunches before I attempt some BJJ, me thinks, lol.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]

I just placed 4th (out of 16)  this last weekend in a tournament my best so far.
View All Quotes

Awesome!  How long have you been practicing BJJ?

I think I just hit the 4 month mark & tonight feels like the first night were it finally felt like I knew what I was doing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAD762] [#20]

View All Quotes

Talked to my instructor tonight & he said that the Foxe (sp?) gym in Witchita was a good one to be involved with.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#21]

I think I just hit the 4 month mark & tonight feels like the first night were it finally felt like I knew what I was doing.
View All Quotes

December will be one year for me. Like you it was about the 4-5 month mark where thing finally started to click.

I competed at 4.5 months in and went 3-2. Now I've turned into a tournament junkie. I absolutely love the competition.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Dammit man get to class already.

But seriously go roll.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonS] [#23]
Ouch.    

View All Quotes
Ouch.    

I'm 52 and a purple belt who started March '09.

There are injuries but it isn't too bad. I'm more concerned about skin issues, so I shower right after I train, clean my GI after each training, etc.

Oh, and it would be real good to have your son train as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Lot's of great advice in this thread if you are starting out in jiu-jitsu.

I'd like to add a few thoughts to the discussion:

1. The hardest thing I did was have the courage to walk in the door and take my first class. I was hooked once I got over my apprehension.

2. Choose the gym you train at carefully. The ultra competitive environments are dangerous for everyone involved, particularly the new guy. I'm in a job that I can't have constant injuries, although I presided over our largest event of the year with a black eye. Everyone thinks it's cool at first, but it gets old.

3. After 2 months, I knew that if I got into a fight that hit the ground, I was very dangerous against an opponent with no training.

4. After 6 months, I knew what I was doing. I knew where my hands were and where I think I want them to go, but had no idea what the other guy was doing or thinking.

5. After 1 year, I felt like I knew what the other guy I was rolling with was doing and thinking, but could very seldom stop them.

6. After 6 years, I felt like I could manipulate the reactions of others during sparring.

7. Approaching 10 years, I'm still learning at age 42 as I am close to getting a black belt.

The most frustrating people I roll with try and use strength, speed, and energy (otherwise known as spazzing) to win. If I'm forced to defend myself against being injured because who I'm rolling with is out of control, as a 6'5" 270lb brown belt, I can make my training partners life miserable, but it isn't fun for me or them. Early on you will not win no matter how much strength, speed, and energy you use, nor will you learn because you will be concerned with winning. Jiu-Jitsu was created for the smaller martial artist to use his/her mind and leverage to control and force an opponent to submit instead of being hurt. There is a reason it's called the gentle art.

Helio>Royler>Megaton>McVicker>Me
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Callicles:

1. The hardest thing I did was have the courage to walk in the door and take my first class. I was hooked once I got over my apprehension.

2. Choose the gym you train at carefully. The ultra competitive environments are dangerous for everyone involved, particularly the new guy. I'm in a job that I can't have constant injuries, although I presided over our largest event of the year with a black eye. Everyone thinks it's cool at first, but it gets old.

3. After 2 months, I knew that if I got into a fight that hit the ground, I was very dangerous against an opponent with no training.

4. After 6 months, I knew what I was doing. I knew where my hands were and where I think I want them to go, but had no idea what the other guy was doing or thinking.

5. After 1 year, I felt like I knew what the other guy I was rolling with was doing and thinking, but could very seldom stop them.

6. After 6 years, I felt like I could manipulate the reactions of others during sparring.

7. Approaching 10 years, I'm still learning at age 42 as I am close to getting a black belt.

The most frustrating people I roll with try and use strength, speed, and energy (otherwise known as spazzing) to win. If I'm forced to defend myself against being injured because who I'm rolling with is out of control, as a 6'5" 270lb brown belt, I can make my training partners life miserable, but it isn't fun for me or them. Early on you will not win no matter how much strength, speed, and energy you use, nor will you learn because you will be concerned with winning. Jiu-Jitsu was created for the smaller martial artist to use his/her mind and leverage to control and force an opponent to submit instead of being hurt. There is a reason it's called the gentle art.

View Quote

Word
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#26]
Originally Posted By Callicles:

View Quote

Indeed.  Great post.

Try being a 5'7" 150lb purple.    I hate (figure of speech) the spazzy white belts, or baby snakes as we call them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys, I've been thinking about swinging by a place or two in town to check out some BJJ classes.  I have never done any type of martial arts training in my life, except for the other day when I had a big ass spider crawling on my arm.  Damn black belt in 0.00045 seconds.  

What should I look for or ask about when I swing by?  I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the sport, especially the stuff aimed at noobs.  I have no interest in competing.  I read somewhere that it was suggested to ask if their training is geared more toward competition or self-defense (which is what I want).
I'm 38 and in "okay-ish" shape.  I don't work out, but I play ice hockey so I can be fairly active...I am NOT very limber, lol. (WTF AM I DOING THINKING ABOUT THIS?!)   Unfortunately, I can't really play too often since I'm out flying a lot, so I was thinking something like this would give me a better chance of making it to classes since there are several in a week.
Here is one of the places I was going to check out.  This guy goes to our church, I believe, but I haven't met him.  http://marciolaselva.wix.com/laselvamma

Thanks!
View Quote

As another hockey player who started at 45 years old, I say do it.  

Although I'm a goalie, so I am flexible.  And I'm in pretty good shape still.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Just do it. Pace, but push yourself in class. Show up. You will learn it and get better.

When we see BJJ we think of young mma fighters, but do you know what old beat up Judo players specialize in once they can't take being thrown? Ground work, the core of what BJJ is about. BJJ is for everyone who sticks with it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]
What's funny in you telling him to "just do it" is that if he started when he asked, he might be a blue belt now lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm almost 53, and I take BJJ and Krav Maga classes every week.  I usually take at least one BJJ class and 2-3 Krav classes a week.  I took my first course in both earlier this year, and I've already significantly increased my fitness and flexibility.

The only limits I've found so far are my knowledge.  Yes, the body is sore after every session and I rarely finish a week without a few scrapes and bruises, but if you have the will you can push through it.  My only serious injury was a pulled tendon in the arm, and that was from going too hard too early in my training before my body had adjusted.  I had to nurse that arm for a few weeks, but still continued with classes.

I'm a three-time Gunsite graduate who carries every day, but found that the "gun only" option left some gaping holes in self defense that the BJJ and Krav classes are quickly filling.

My best advice is to do some serious research before picking a school.  There are a lot of "McDojo's" out there focused on teaching kids or passing out belts like candy.  Take some time and find a serious adult fighting school.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I just realized this question is two years old, hopefully the guy is a blue belt by now :-)
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Thread hijack....so where might a fng find on the internets a list of common terms used in bjj so one doesn’t feel like a complete idiot at class?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ipsilateral_7:
Thread hijack....so where might a fng find on the internets a list of common terms used in bjj so one doesn’t feel like a complete idiot at class?
View Quote
Roadmap for BJJ, by Stephan Kesting, is a good start.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:57:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CozumelSteve] [#34]
Originally Posted By ipsilateral_7:
View Quote
Bring a pineapple
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Ouch.  

View All Quotes

Ouch.  

Injury is what you make of it. You are the new guy we will go as hard on you as you go on us plus a little. Take it easy and try to apply a technique and you won't get injured.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

This.

See the earlier post I made about trying hard not to be spastic :)

So, this thread is a couple years old now, how many in this thread are still doing jitz?
View Quote
This guy right here is 3-5 times a week four stripe blue belt. Wife is blue belt as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#40]
What everyone else said, also, most schools offer a two week trial.   Go to as many schools as possible, talk with the professor and students.  Is the school competition based or self defensed base?   When you get ready to make your choice, check the professor's lineage.   So many great schools out there, it is hard to make a choice.  In the long run, the school you start with, might not be the right school for you in two or three years.   Jiu Jitsu is an individual journey, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
View Quote
Thats not you in the video.....is it?  If it is you are my hero. I have watched that video 100s of times and shared it to just about everyone I know.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SouthTexasAR:

Thats not you in the video.....is it?  If it is you are my hero. I have watched that video 100s of times and shared it to just about everyone I know.
View Quote
Nope, not me. Great video though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top