Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2017 10:49:26 AM EDT
I know the importance of dry fire, but without good independent feedback I'm afraid I'd reinforce bad habits and it would be hard to motivate myself to do it regularly.  I also think this would benefit my wife, as she's worse than I am about that.  Plus, chances to go do live fire are pretty limited because we have a small baby and she can't drive right now (medical).  I've purchased a blowback BB pistol for backyard use, but I've also discovered some of the laser training systems (e.g. LASR).

Has anyone used these before?  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the LASR for my own training and to teach classes.  I use it with SIRT pistols, ar15 laser bolts, and the Laserlyte premium laser insert.  I use it to practice my holster draws for time and accuracy, working on my left hand firing, shooting around barriers, and multiple targets.  I also use it for competition practice by printing out silhouettes and setting up the course of fire.  Simple to use and setup.  You have to be creative in how you use it.  My class students love using it.

There is a free version that someone made, forgot what it's called.  I haven't tried it but I heard it requires a fast computer to work and is unpolished.  Also some phone apps that provide basic function of where you're shooting but would imagine they're difficult to use.

I like using the LASR and recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Shootoffapp is another option.  It's free and open source.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OsoGrande:
Shootoffapp is another option.  It's free and open source.
View Quote

How is the shootoff, I've never tried it.  Is it easy to use and what do you use it for?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ZippZ:

How is the shootoff, I've never tried it.  Is it easy to use and what do you use it for?
View Quote

I've used it for paper targets mounted to the wall, but haven't got a projector setup for the animated options.  With paper targets it just gives audio feedback on hits more than anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Im in the process of Setting up my own Shootoff range.  You only need a good webcam with a higher fps at least.  without the projector you can tape targets on the wall and then put virtual targets on the app. Just line up the targets and then it will give you feedback on hits and it will track your shots.  you can also record sessions to review later.  all said and done I think it will cost me just over 100 bucks for everything but the projector, the laser being the most expensive part. Cant wait to use it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#6]
I used the Shootoff app recently as a display for a local gun show. I downloaded it and used it with a projector and SIRT pistols. It took me a while to figure out how to setup and run the program where I had to watch youtube videos. I tried the bouncing balls, dueling tree, falling plates, and par time modes. It was fun and attendees liked shooting at the bouncing balls.

Compared to Lasrapp:
+ Free
+ + Can use projectors, monitors, and TV's in addition to paper targets
+ Animated targets
+ Background images make it appealing

- Initial difficulty learning how to setup and use
- User interface needs a lot of work
- Missing training related options (no followthrough trace, scoring, etc)
- Audio commands and feedback suck.
- Buggy and lags a little.

I think Shootoff is great for entertainment, training on moving targets, and is a free training option. Lasrapp is a much better training program that is more refined and leads to more shooter improvement.   I'll use both systems. Lasrapp for my own training and teaching classes. Shootoff to entertain people and practice some competition scenarios
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
@ZippZ you've posted some excellent info in the Training subforums here, thank you!

I've started looking at alternative training tools now that my work travel schedule is so extensive that I rarely get the opportunity to practice at the range any more. I realize this every time I do get to the range to shoot some pistol steel challenge, PCC (pistol caliber carbine) competitions, or shooting skeet with friends: shooting is a perishable skill and lack of practice hurts terribly. Also, my step son is now at the age where I think he is old enough and has demonstrated for long enough that he is extremely safety conscious and almost ready to start shooing some steel and PCC comps with me.

I've been looking at the LaserLyte targets for a few years but the negative reviews and "toy-like" look/feel/construction of them has always turned me off. Alternatively, I've looked at the SIRT training pistols but always got buried in the target (what do I shoot at with the SIRT? LaserLyte targets?) side of the training equation until some recent searching (and after a terrible steel challenge evening) brought me here to several of ZippZ's (and others) posts.

I have a few questions regarding a training setup for two people utilizing SIRT and LASR:

1. Do you use SIRT pistols that use a different color primary laser for an instructor pistol and a student pistol?
  2. Do you also use your own or student-owned firearms and laser inserts, or strictly SIRT pistols?
  3. If yes to #2, what brand laser inserts do you use?
  4. If yes to #3, do you use red, green, or IR?
  5. If yes to #2, how do you reset the pistol after each shot?
  6. Does LASR have any ability to utilize a projector/screen to display a scenario (say, pictures of the shooting bays at my local club with a Steel Challenge setup) and record shots from that projected image, or does that bring some of the other software packages discussed in this thread into play?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#8]
Originally Posted By Mr_Maim:
I've been looking at the LaserLyte targets for a few years but the negative reviews and "toy-like" look/feel/construction of them has always turned me off. Alternatively, I've looked at the SIRT training pistols but always got buried in the target (what do I shoot at with the SIRT? LaserLyte targets?) side of the training equation until some recent searching (and after a terrible steel challenge evening) brought me here to several of ZippZ's (and others) posts.

The Laserlyte stuff is okay for training.  It's easy and quick to setup and use, but more limited in what you can do with it.  I know some people that use it for bullseye pistol competition practice and that's an excellent way to use since you only need one of them and you're working on accuracy.  I've used them to practice holster draws and it works good for that purpose too.  I'd still rather use the LASRAPP for those purposes since it's more exciting to use and has the built in timer.

I have a few questions regarding a training setup for two people utilizing SIRT and LASR:

1. Do you use SIRT pistols that use a different color primary laser for an instructor pistol and a student pistol?
    I've used red and green pistols for class.  Not really necessary for basic classes.  You can have 2 people shoot at the same target, but you can just hang two targets instead.  Makes it a little easier if you're timing two concurrent shooters, but still not necessary to have red and green lasers.  There's some stuff in shootoff where it'll track red and green hits, like if you use the bouncing balls thing and track who shot the most balls.  Green lasers are easier to see in brightly lit areas.

2. Do you also use your own or student-owned firearms and laser inserts, or strictly SIRT pistols?
    I used the inserts for my own and student guns.  Usually for timing them out of the holster or working on their fundamentals.  That way they get training on their own equipment.  Downside is it's only good for a single shot exercises.  The Laserlyte premium is good in that it fits different caliber guns, however it sticks out from the barrel a little so can't be used in close ended holsters.

3. If yes to #2, what brand laser inserts do you use?
    Laserlyte premium

4. If yes to #3, do you use red, green, or IR?
    The laserlyte I use only comes in red.
    I thought about getting IR for SIRT pistols, but I don't think the expense is worth it.  I adjust the laser down slightly so they can't see the laser when looking through the sights.  Might make a difference if using optics or exercises where you don't use the sights, I dunno.

5. If yes to #2, how do you reset the pistol after each shot?
    Yep, you have to unless it's a double action pistol.

6. Does LASR have any ability to utilize a projector/screen to display a scenario (say, pictures of the shooting bays at my local club with a Steel Challenge setup) and record shots from that projected image, or does that bring some of the other software packages discussed in this thread into play?

Lasrapp doesn't do that.  Shootoff can.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 3:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Maim] [#9]
Outstanding! Thank you for the detail, your replies and experience are greatly appreciated.

I'll post back once I get a place to train cleared out and a training system set up.

Thanks again!

ETA: Have you seen the DryFireMag for Glock?  http://www.dryfiremag.com/product/dryfiremag-g9x19-2/
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The sound activated laser modules work well with the dry fire mag.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top