Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2019 6:48:27 PM EDT
After Action Review for Signal-0 Productions – October 5-6, 2019
Course: Combined Carbine/Pistol Skills Class
Instructor: Robert “Bob” Capps
Range: Private property located in Aucilla, Florida. Multiple ranges on property, 50-yard2 grass range with high dirt berm was used for this class.
Cost: $150 for two days
Number of students: 11
Round count: approximately 800 rifle and 500 pistol (don’t have actual numbers)

The entire class was civilian to the best of the knowledge, with perhaps some having past military experience. In my opinion, everyone was a competent shooter, knowledgeable of their firearms and experienced in the safety rules required for a safe class. In fact, it was one of the most comfortable courses I have participated in from a safety standpoint. At no time did I feel any drills presented an unsafe course.

Firearm selection was fairly diverse. Carbines, several SBRs, AR pistols, and an MP-5. Almost all were .223/5.56 with the exception being my .300BO on day two. Pistols were almost dominated by Glocks, with some HKs, an XD or two, and a couple others I couldn’t identify.
As is typical with any group of firearms, reliability was a concern. Multiple issues with trigger/FCG reliability, and they were still unresolved by end of class. Thankfully, backup parts and guns were available to keep everyone engaged.

My personal equipment worked reliably, except for needing to lube after 250-300 suppressed rounds. A shot of CLP and the singular issue was resolved. This was my first class shooting a Glock G17 Gen5. Loved it. New holster setup (Safariland ATS), loved it also. It helped eliminate shoulder impingement shooting from a drop location.

Before I detail the course drills, I will have to give the disclaimer that I am not a veteran, not LE, not a high-level competition shooter, and I am speaking from a civilian shooter POV with 30+ years playing with firearms. Notice the word playing. I have done approximately six formal, instructed courses in my adult life, so take this review for what you are paying for it.

Bob’s style of teaching was very comfortable for me. He speaks in everyday language, is the first person to tell you that he is just showing you “ways or methods”, not “the way or method”. His instruction is based off of real world application in military an law enforcement, combined with teaching methods adopted/learned from other respected instructors. Several of his drills were admittedly learned from other instructors such as Bob Keller, Pat McNamara and Kyle Lamb and I believe Hackathorn. I can’t tell you which were from whom, because it was a lot to absorb and listen to. Bob teaches you effective and proven techniques is his classes, whether they are of his creation or learned.

Training:
Meet and greet, safety waivers, safety briefing, and an emergency plan held in the classroom.

Rifle/optics zero exercise on NRA B-8 targets started the range day. For day one I was shooting .223 from a 10.5” barreled AR, Dead Air Sandman S and Trijicon MRO optic. I was already sighted in at 50 yards, so I was checking off-set at the range we were shooting, which I estimated to be about 30-35 yards. The zeroing took a bit longer than expected due to several firearms not shooting reliably.

Basic Marksmanship rifle test (4 position shooting) – Four B targets, 5 shots standing, 5 kneeling, 5 sitting, and 5 prone. Two sets of four shots were conducted. I believe this was to level set the group and see what the overall competency of the shooters was going to be for the weekend.

Ready-up drills on dot targets were next, conducted at 7-yards. This was similar to drills I had done in the past, but with emphasis on reacquiring sight picture after the shot, before returning to low-ready state. Single round per command, increasing in speed to failure point (where you are not accurately hitting the target).

The drill moved on to controlled pairs (not double taps). Emphasis was placed on controlled, sight pictured shots, not just fast double trigger point shooting. Progressed onto 3-round hammer drill, same process. Ready low, threat command, target, shoot, assess, return to ready-low.

Additional drills shooting pelvic/hip shots, 2 rounds per side.
Moving on, the drills added 90 deg movement (Pivot/turns with rifle), emphasizing smooth movement, manipulation of safety, sight acquisition, accurate shot placement and returning to safe low ready.

Strong and support side shooting from behind barricade, kneeling, was next. The main emphasis was target alignment while behind cover and exposing only the bare minimum to engage the target. Return to cover, transition to support side and repeat to opposite side target. This was a great drill to learn both pistol and rifle transition smoothly while remaining behind protective cover.

VTAC barricades were fun (standing, squatting, kneeling L and R cant, prone). 1 target, 1 round per position. Didn’t think I was going to be able to get low enough to shoot the bottom cutouts, due to two herniated discs in my back, but I powered through it. Shooting in uncomfortable positions should be practiced regularly in order to get proficient. Last thing you want is to get down there and having to swim your rifle around to find your red dot. ??

Ladder drills at multiple distances were also performed. Emphasis was on not shoot fast shooting, but reacquiring your sight picture to assess the threat, before returning to low ready on safe. 3-4 shots while moving up the target.

When we got to pistol drills, I will admit, I sucked. New gun, rusty skills, and a quick realization that my current contact lens RX was wreaking havoc on my sight picture. Pistol dot drill on three 1” circles at 5 yards, 5 shots at each. I felt like packing my shit up and going home due to my frustration. Instead, I went back to my truck, removed my contacts and came back to the line. Everything got fixed. Groups were tighter, shots were faster, and I felt like my old self again. Had to shoot with both eyes open though, one eye corrected for distance, one eye uncorrected to see my pistol. Weird feeling to say the least. I worked through it.

Pistol grouping exercises next on B-8 targets for score from 7 yards. 5rd strong hand, 5rd support hand, 5rd single hand strong, and 5rd single hand support side.

Instruction moved on to concentrate on our drawing from holster. Draw, engage support hand grip, push straight to target, sight picture, fire, reacquire sight picture, return to holster. Goal here was to find your speed point where accuracy is degraded. Steady progress was made here, and even surprised me.

Malfunction drills with pistols using supplied dummy rounds. Three dummies mixed into three mags with four live rounds per mag. Training partner loaded your mags for you to add to the uncertainty. Fun drill, good practice at tap rack and re-engage. Verbal instruction covered a bunch of malfunction types and how to clear quickly to get back into the fight.

Controlled pairs – B targets at 7 yards, 3 sight pictures. Emphasis here was not that we are doing “double taps”, but rather controlled pairs. Fire, reacquire sight picture, fire. Speed was a product of repetition. Speed up to failure point. Interestingly, just saw a Kyle Lamb video that preached this very same principle. Sorry if this common knowledge out there, it was new theory to me. After 45-60 rounds we moved on to 3rnd hammers – same principle as controlled pairs, with four sight pictures, return to safe holster.

Alternative targeting – 2 shots per side pelvic girdle. Moved on to two shots to upper chest rapidly, one head shot.

Then it was time for unconventional drills. By this I mean drills I have never seen another instructor teach (in my limited experience).
We then ran a drill where one at a time, we practiced moving down the line, muzzle down, stepping out between two other students and engaging the target called out by the instructor. This drill was purely voluntary, no one was to participate unless they were 100% comfortable. Any apprehension and you were welcome to watch from safe distance back of the field.

Cones were placed in a line perpendicular to the berm, approximately 3-4 feet apart. At each corner of the berm was a single target. Those who were participating, would stand over each cone marker. The shooter starts are the rear-most point of the line, stepping out while on safe, muzzle down, rifle up, safety off, 1 shot on target, safety on, muzzle down, weave through between next two students. Repeat shot string on opposite side.

The first shot would be performed at approximately 30 degrees off center and increase as you went down the line till you were at near a 75-degree offset. (See graphic 1 below) At no point was anyone to be swept with muzzle. Bob was close in tow to make sure safety was paramount. Now while some could argue that this flew in the face of safety rules, it did not. And having seen the level of safety performed by everyone in the class for a day and a half, I was completely comfortable performing this, and in fact, everyone in class did. It was truly an experience. One note for potential class participants, use double ear protection when participating. Trust me. It’s really loud.

Attachment Attached File

The class then went on to shooting a drill I hadn’t done before but will definitely do many times again. Four 8” steel plates, spaced 4 feet apart, shooter at 20-ish yards. Engage 1 shot on far left plate, engage 2 shots on second plate, return to 1 shot on plate 1. 3 shots on plate three, return to plate 1. 4 shots on plate 4, return to plate 1. 3 on 3, return to 1, 2 on 2, return to 1, final shot on plate 1. For speed. Did really well on this one. Shot my .300BO 9” SBR with Specwar. I think Bob liked that rifle, as he wanted to try it. The whole group did really well on this drill, and there were a couple of shooters that really impressed me with their strings.

Bob went into some instruction on clearing rooms and limiting your body exposure in the process. He used barricades to simulate a door opening, and employing two techniques called “slicing the pie” and “45/90/45 quick peek”. This was very informative and while I was doing it, I experience a stove-pipe, false feed. Quick to action, Bob proceeded to hit the happy switch on his rifle, laying down suppressive fire through the doorway while I cleared my malfunction. He says with a big shit-eatin grin on his face, “Always help your partner out when he needs it!” Thanks for the wake-up Bob! ??

Getting late into the day, on day two, the class setup the 2-man obstacle course (see graphic 2 below). Using VTAC barricades, half-height barricades and multiple 55-gallon drums for cover. Single body-size paper target at berm on both lanes. Object was to fire on target, communicate movement, cover fire on target, run the lane, and then do return to the starting barricade in reverse order fire. VERY FUN drill! My accuracy was solid, my communication left room for improvement.

Attachment Attached File

Final Thoughts:
This class was a lot of fun. Very informative and conducted with extreme levels of safety. Rifle and Pistol basic marksmanship, weapon manipulation fundamentals, moving through unconventional areas of concern and everything taught in a manner that did not require you to be LE or military to understand. Terminology was clear and unquestioned.

Having been out of shooting for awhile due to life, I learned a lot, brushed up on skills that are quite obviously perishable, and found my weaknesses that I need to work on. I would repeat this class without question, because the level of fun made the learning that much more enjoyable.

The facility is great and Bob as a host was awesome. He can cook some serious meat, and his stories of real-world execution are incredibly insightful. His class could easily fetch twice the price for the instruction, and should be looked at as a monumental discount. Hope to see more classes from Bob soon. When they are, I’ll be there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Very glad to read about your positive experience with Bob’s class.  As a personal friend and coyote hunting partner of Bob’s, I’ve been onsite for a few of his classes and can tell you that he takes the training very seriously and as you said he is offering this training at a HUGE discount.  He could certainly make more money on this, but he views it as a social event as much as a training class and truly wants people to feel fulfilled after attending.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top