Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2020 10:50:38 PM EDT
Watched the movie 1917  tonight. And my son asked about the events got me to thinking.  I pulled out my great grand father's combat training books i was handed down.  

They are in decent condition for being almost 100yrs. And he was googly eyed when i handed them to him.  Very carefully we read a few pages.  As they are very fragile.  And they included pictures in the small arms combat for small unit book. And the commander of infantry platoons book also showed pictures, of trenches,  and complex math about navigation it's pretty thick.

Got me wondering,  besides being priceless to my family i wondered what are these worth.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:01:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: svt40] [#1]
Depends on the book.  Typically in the $25-$50 range.

I have a 1911 Infantry Drill guide, reprinted in 1917 that is ID'd to a Lt in as new condition that I paid $10 for.  I picked it up for the bugle calls.  It's also pretty neat as the forward was written by General Leonard Wood.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By snakeyes711:
Watched the movie 1917  tonight. And my son asked about the events got me to thinking.  I pulled out my great grand father's combat training books i was handed down.  

They are in decent condition for being almost 100yrs. And he was googly eyed when i handed them to him.  Very carefully we read a few pages.  As they are very fragile.  And they included pictures in the small arms combat for small unit book. And the commander of infantry platoons book also showed pictures, of trenches,  and complex math about navigation it's pretty thick.

Got me wondering,  besides being priceless to my family i wondered what are these worth.
View Quote

This the Common Core WW1 ya talking about?
Almost 100 years? Almost.

Best way to check the going rate on any book is on the dedicated book dealer sites - such as ABE.COM

I have a huge collection of military training pamphlets and manuals - some very very rare ones worth in the high hundreds each - though it has been a while since I priced them

Family hand-downs? Keep them in the family
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Are there PDF versions of those online anywhere?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Are there PDF versions of those online anywhere?
View Quote

The actual titles would be a help - but there ARE lots of downloads from University archives and collectors and other sources - most of them free of charge
Seems to be more common with the US manuals than with other nations

Keep meaning to scan some of what I have = such as AIF Course Notes from a Doughboy officer attending a Musketry Course in 1917
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Saddler:

This the Common Core WW1 ya talking about?
Almost 100 years? Almost.

Best way to check the going rate on any book is on the dedicated book dealer sites - such as ABE.COM

I have a huge collection of military training pamphlets and manuals - some very very rare ones worth in the high hundreds each - though it has been a while since I priced them

Family hand-downs? Keep them in the family
View Quote

Oh, right over a hundred.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a few in french. Ill post pictures
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#9]
I remember his foot locker at my grand mother's every christmas.  I never opened it. He'll,  i never knew what it was until i was an adult. He ended up 1st Lt. Before going home.

These are soo brittle they'd year apart just opening them. i did open the commander's manual a bit, it showed a chapter on demolitions,  showing how to build frag grenades!. I was shocked,  also a way to rig railways with demo. Pretty cool stuff.

I wish i had that whole foot locker now.  I do have his officer's hat , it's in terrible condition now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:51:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#10]
Attachment Attached File
a

Attachment Attached File
qAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I do believe that's him on the bottom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top