Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2020 4:18:08 PM EDT
i need a setup to neck turn 762, 338, 6.5cm, and BMG
is there one lathe that can do all of those?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the manual RCBS Trim pro with their neck turner and caliber specific mandrels...Very simple, produces very good results if used right...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:51:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#2]
I have several high dollar neck turning tools and can't recommend any of them for use in a factory chambered rifle. Their value comes from using them in conjunction with a custom tight neck chamber.

You need at least .003" and more likely .004" of clearance between your neck and the chamber. You already have close to double that in a standard chamber. Removing metal from your case neck increases slop in a factory chamber.

I have used neck turning tools to skim the high side of case necks. I never remove metal from the entire circumference. It's simply not needed. Bringing the neck within .0015" to .002" of perfectly round is good enough.

I never order tight neck chambers when a gunsmith installs a new barrel. I will order a "no turn neck" sending a loaded dummy round and asking for a +.004" neck dimension.

Measure your fired brass or use pin gages to measure your rifle chamber necks. You'll be surprised at how much room there is.

For turned necks and good chamber fit .004" of clearance always works. This applies to short range and long range benchrest rifles. This isn't what you're going to get when turning necks for use in a factory chambered rifle. It's also a PIA.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The requirement of doing 50BMG is what's going to make this difficult (if not impossible).

Most turners/lathes are setup to do 17 cals up to 338s etc.

If I were you, I'd probably look at a turner for your standard cartridges, then get something 50BMG specific....even then, you'd have to be doing something highly specialized to want to neck turn a 50BMG.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a little eye candy since we are discussing neck turning...

I saw this tool demonstrated live over the weekend at the Berger SWN near Phoenix. The event covered Palma and F-Class shooting and the talent was international.

Needless to say, seeing guys shoot clean scores with high X counts in difficult winds is amazing, but they are also generous with advice on reloading and load development.

ID OD case turner
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
$1800.

Oof.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been watching that IDOD for a while now; it's a very fancy piece of gear for sure.

That said, I saw this mentioned on another forum, and I can't really wrap my head around how the ID OD overcomes it...what if your case isn't perfectly concentric going into the tool?

It presupposes that you'll only be turning fired brass; that's fine for my use cases, but excludes all the tight neck guys. Secondly, how do you check for a non-concentric case that got turned after it's been done? By weight, by neck tension?

Don't get me wrong, that machine is an over-built work of art that I'd love to own, but I can't figure out how it overcomes the above scenarios.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
From what little I know...

These guys are serious F-Class shooters and so are their friends.

The brass is all top of the line stuff and the tool fitting is set up to match their brass/chamber. They use a plastic mallet to insert the brass, and another to knock it back out, and it is very snug.

Once they had the thing running, I was wondering how they managed such nice blends into the shoulder. The answer was the tool is dressed for the exact shoulder design. It only uses one degree of freedom along that fine micrometer line to plunge the OD tool. The OD tool and ID tool spacing is set, then there is a positive stop to control that shoulder blend depth. The ID tool is always set deeper than the shoulder to prevent leaving a doughnut.

So, it is a beautiful solution for those who have to turn batches of match ammo. I saw them getting lots of attention from the F-Class crowd and also from the sling crowd.

When these guys cross the country or world to compete for several days with multiple strings per day, I imagine the loading labor for brass prep is huge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top