BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2021 11:25:43 PM EDT
Anyone use Compass Lake for new barrel? Thinking about a 6.5 gren. 18" Douglas
Any comments? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one in 5.56.  It’s a shooter.  I would order from them again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Compass Lake Engineering turns barrels for the US Army Marksmanship Unit at Ft. Benning GA. If that isn't a ringing endorsement I don't know what is.

I'm a fan of .308 in AR10 rifles. I know the system was designed to run this caliber and the bullets/powders it uses. I use H4350 in my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action and I know that powder is much slower than anything normally used in .308. Excessive port pressure would be an issue if the gas port size wasn't reduced over .308 when using this powder.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t think there is any doubt they build some of the best shooters. However, the feedback on their comms and lead times has kept me away.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice. They had the Douglas in stock to chamber with the Kreiger they had to wait for blanks.
So be it, it is ordered
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:13:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Compass Lake Engineering turns barrels for the US Army Marksmanship Unit at Ft. Benning GA. If that isn't a ringing endorsement I don't know what is.

I'm a fan of .308 in AR10 rifles. I know the system was designed to run this caliber and the bullets/powders it uses. I use H4350 in my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action and I know that powder is much slower than anything normally used in .308. Excessive port pressure would be an issue if the gas port size wasn't reduced over .308 when using this powder.
View Quote

1. He is shooting 6.5 Grendel not Creedmoor
2. 6.5 Creedmoor can have lower port pressure through the use of a longer gas system.
3. H4350 works fine in many large frame 6.5 Creedmoor AR rifles.

I have purchased 3 AR barrels from Compass Lake, but from Bartlein blanks. One was flawless, two I asked for the gas port to not straddle a land and groove but it did by just a bit... but they shot fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
CLE should be shipping out a 5.56 Krieger SS of mine within the next 2 weeks, some photos of groups on SH tipped me over the edge on going with them despite the cost and lead time.  I've found their comms to be mostly fine, sometimes a follow up is needed but they're always super kind on the phone. It's definitely a small family operation so keep that in mind when it comes to managing expectations.

This will be for my first precision AR build and I'm having Joe Carlos from the USAMU build it for me so definitely pumped that it should be a shooter!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top