Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2020 10:40:30 AM EDT
What might be considered the minimum acceptable accuracy requirement for a rifle to be used for PRS matches?

I've shot a few long range field course matches, but not a PRS sanctioned match, and for those that I've shot in, 1MOA is entirely adequate.  I believe even an FTR NRA match would only require just under 1 MOA to hit the X ring, which I believe is smaller than most PRS targets.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:49:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#1]
Lots of people will say 1moa. Personally, if you're not under .75moa you're going to have a harder time than you need to have. My PRS guns run .5-.75moa 5-shot groups which allows me to place in the top 10 very often. The tighter the better but once you're popping 3/4 minute groups there are other places you can pay attention to and get more gains than with fiddling with ammo over .1moa.

NOTE: EVERY single answer you'll get will be the opinion and experience of 1 person, not gospel.

PRS is about shooting from shitty positions (to trivialize it a bit) so the snugger your rifle groups, the more shitty your position can be.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, a bean bag chair changes everything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My PRS rifle shoots .5 to .75 consistently......I on the other hand shoot from 1 MOA  to somewhere out in orbit from the crap they expect you to shoot off of... My point?...Get your rifle and load shooting at least 3/4 moa..Less the better...Than practice shooting off a makeshift wobbly barricade built out of beat to shit 2 X 4's
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly 1 MOA would be fine and its wind reading thats going to hurt.  I prefer closer to .5, and I'm better at shooting positionally than I am laying down and shooting groups.    There typically aren't tons of targets that are going to be impossible with a 1MOA gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Just to follow up on a different point in the OP; NRA F-class targets have a 1/2 MOA X-ring.  The guys winning at the top levels are looking for 1/4 MOA of elevation from their rifle/ammo combos.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#8]
This will sound stupid, but to me it seems like the real issue is the consistency of the 1 MOA rifle.

It is fine if the rifle is a 1 MOA gun, but what seems to hurt folks is when the whole system, especially the ammo really isn’t 1 MOA. It is common for a shooter to fire numerous 1 MOA groups, but when all super imposed, it is really 3-5 MOA. This often has to do with reloading concentricity and velocity Sd.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
All of the match rifles I run are at least 3/4moa with most being closer to .5moa. A 1moa gun/shooter will still be competitive in PRS though. Outside of a few targets (KYL/small diamonds/prairie dogs at distance) a true 1moa rifle/system can hit just about anything a MD throws out there. Reading the wind and building your position will cost you far more points than shaving off .25moa from groups when you’re just getting started.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
All these dudes posting are correct.  Will an MOA rifle work?  Of course.  Will a half MOA rifle work better?  Depends...all of it on you.

I would venture to guess that, barring any lemons and one-offs, the majority of rifle manufacturers are making bolt rifles that will shoot under a minute with the right ammo and marksman.  

I started out in the "precision" rifle shooting sports with two Savages, one in .223 and one in .308.  They were both very accurate rifles.  The .223 was still one of the most accurate factory bolt rifles I have personally observed and it was in a shitty, plastic Savage "Accustock" and had the Savage Accutrigger.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
1 moa would be fine. More important is how stable of a position you can get into and how many bean bags you can carry.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Group from my PRS rifle this weekend

300 yds

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]

This is all shots while zeroing my Kahles after pulling the NF off. I normally prefer to cherry pick one group but this is the only pic I have.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
My best finish in a 2 day PRS match was 10th out of 150+.

I took a risk by trying to squeeze one more match out of my 6mm Creedmoor barrel. On sight in day, it shot 2 MOA. Was too late to change anything so I ran with it. Not saying 2 MOA is ideal, but the accuracy of the rifle is far from the most important factor.

I did luck out in that it was a more positional match and less prone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
I've got you down for zero impacts, shooter.

What your rifle and load specs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

300 yds

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57471/35757A93-E874-4639-A5AC-73C3F03F51F8_png-1759647.JPG
I've got you down for zero impacts, shooter.

What your rifle and load specs?

"Zero impacts" isn't that the truth.

Rifle built by Dresden Gun Works, APR action.  Unfortunately neither are available anymore, DGW closed due to some family issues and Alamo's foray into private label actions didn't last long.  https://aprifles.com/products/apr-gen-2

That load was my hunting load, 130 Gamechanger, 44.8 StaBall and Hornady brass (believe it or not).  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#17]
Chambered in 6mm Creedmoor, is my RPR a good PRS rifle?  

Do many folks use the RPR?

Also - is my 14x Vortex Diamondback scope (MOA) good enough?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:13:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#20]
@Rob01
@Skg_Mre_Lght

Thanks!  

I appreciate the responses; I know my biggest step is the 1st one: actually shooting a competition.  Luckily - I am a former USPSA match director so that aspect doesn’t intimidate me (not too much anyway).

But I also want to be decently prepared.  

Current scope is a 4-16x 44 Vortex DiamondBack, FFP with the MOA reticle (I understand most PRS guys use MILS instead of MOA).  I think I bought  it from D&H on sale last year.  

Ammo plan is to reload the Hornady brass I have with all the ELD-x 108s I bought a while back, loaded over enough H4350 to get to about 3000fps.  I think I have 3  ten round magazines.   I need an economical set of bags.

Not the best; hopefully not the worst for PRS.

I think the shoots here in the Mid-Atlantic area (I live near DC) are mostly under 1000 yards.

Do you know of a good 1st match to try around here to get my feet wet?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#21]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
@Rob01
@Skg_Mre_Lght

Thanks!  

I appreciate the responses; I know my biggest step is the 1st one: actually shooting a competition.  Luckily - I am a former USPSA match director so that aspect doesn’t intimidate me (not too much anyway).

Current scope is a 4-16x 44 Vortex DiamondBack, FFP with the MOA reticle (I understand most PRS guys use MILS instead of MOA).  I think I bought  it from D&H on sale last year.  

Ammo plan is to reload the Hornady brass I have with all the ELD-x 108s I bought a while back, loaded over enough H4350 to get to about 3000fps.  I think I have 3  ten round magazines.   I need an economical set of bags.

https://www.gilbertsguns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/308x308/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/o/vortex_dbk10026.jpg

I think the shoots here in the Mid-Atlantic area (I live near DC) are mostly under 1000 yards.

View Quote

MOA or MIL makes no difference. Long as your scope tracks accurately it should be fine. Armageddon game changer bag is the only bag I use. I refuse to pack around more than one. A tripod with a pair of binos on them is also extremely handy to have for spotting impacts for other shooters and doing target ID.  Look on practiscore for a match and go start burning out barrels.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#23]
@Rob01
@Skg_Mre_Lght

Thanks!  

I appreciate the responses; I know my biggest step is the 1st one: actually shooting a competition.  Luckily - I am a former USPSA match director so that aspect doesn't intimidate me (not too much anyway).

https://www.gilbertsguns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/308x308/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/o/vortex_dbk10026.jpg

View Quote
Midwayusa.com has the Bushnell Elite DMR II and XRS II on clearance. Good choice right now for shooting PRS on a budget.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:09:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#25]
Personally, I think a big part of it is psychological.

If you know your gun is capable of tiny little cloverleaf or one-hole groups at 100yds, it gives you more confidence in the longer range shots.  If your best groups are around 1 MOA at 100, you're going to start doubting your equipment as the distance increases.  When doubt creeps in, it throws off your whole game.

You definitely want to be 100% confident that YOU are the limiting factor in the whole equation.  It also removes the likelihood that you'll blame your gear for your own screw ups.  "Oh that miss at 800yds was probably the gun.  It never has grouped quite like I want..."
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

If you know your gun is capable of tiny little cloverleaf or one-hole groups at 100yds, it gives you more confidence in the longer range shots.  If your best groups are around 1 MOA at 100, you're going to start doubting your equipment as the distance increases.  When doubt creeps in, it throws off your whole game.
View Quote

Wait a second you guys don’t doubt yourself? Shit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Wait a second you guys don't doubt yourself? Shit.
View All Quotes

Wait a second you guys don't doubt yourself? Shit.

Doubting yourself is fine.  Doubting your equipment is just one more factor that shouldn't be a part of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Doubting yourself is fine.  Doubting your equipment is just one more factor that shouldn't be a part of it.
View Quote

I’ve never used a savage so never had to doubt my shit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:34:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#29]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Only did PRS once so this is very much a noob talking out of his ass - but in my experience, the inherent accuracy of the rifle is pretty much the least of your worries in any shooting sport that you're not already in the top 25% grouping.   Knowing your zero and your drop, and your ability to shoot from goofy positions, has far more value, than how tight it shoots.  In similar long-distance multigun shoots, I've taken 3 MOA combat rifles and outshot 75%+ of the people there, because I knew my zero and my drops very well.

At least, at first.   If your goal is to finish in top half and learn the game; then focus on that.

If your goal is to win the PRS match, then yea, it starts to matter; but I rather doubt if that's a reasonable goal if you're at the stage of asking this question.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By erud:
Just to follow up on a different point in the OP; NRA F-class targets have a 1/2 MOA X-ring.  The guys winning at the top levels are looking for 1/4 MOA of elevation from their rifle/ammo combos.
View Quote

this

3 inch x ring at 600
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Ha!  Competition smack-talk; I love it!!

In USPSA we used to rib each other constantly- especially when someone really blew a whole stage (and tried making excuses).  We’d all agree it must have been “that loose NUT behind the trigger.” It’s all in good fun.

I think I’m going to like PRS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I haven't used one of those, but it looks like it has everything you need need to get started. Make sure it tracks well before a match.

I carry a schmedium game changer and a tab gear rear bag. I loathe carrying around a bunch of crap I "might" need, and would rather shoot with two bags than carrying around a pump pillow, two game changers, a fortune cookie, etc. Some of that gets ridiculous with some Shooters. I also carry a tripod with binos, and sometimes have my MIL spotter with me depending on the match. Most guys are pretty cool with you using their gear, including tripods, so I wouldn't rush out to get a RRS. You should have binos, though.

Sign up for PracticeScore and see what matches are in your area. Another good tool, although I hope they convert over to MeWe or something else soon, are Facebook groups, especially for your area.
View All Quotes
@Rob01
@Skg_Mre_Lght

Thanks!  

I appreciate the responses; I know my biggest step is the 1st one: actually shooting a competition.  Luckily - I am a former USPSA match director so that aspect doesn't intimidate me (not too much anyway).

Yeah I haven't used one of those, but it looks like it has everything you need need to get started. Make sure it tracks well before a match.

I carry a schmedium game changer and a tab gear rear bag. I loathe carrying around a bunch of crap I "might" need, and would rather shoot with two bags than carrying around a pump pillow, two game changers, a fortune cookie, etc. Some of that gets ridiculous with some Shooters. I also carry a tripod with binos, and sometimes have my MIL spotter with me depending on the match. Most guys are pretty cool with you using their gear, including tripods, so I wouldn't rush out to get a RRS. You should have binos, though.

Sign up for PracticeScore and see what matches are in your area. Another good tool, although I hope they convert over to MeWe or something else soon, are Facebook groups, especially for your area.

Thanks again SKg!

I’m getting the bare essentials together for a match in the Spring (thanks to your advice).  

One more Q.:

- does anyone use a suppressor in PRS?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Thanks again SKg!

I’m getting the bare essentials together for a match in the Spring (thanks to your advice).  

One more Q.:

- does anyone use a suppressor in PRS?
View Quote

People do but they’re pointless. Your going to be wearing ear pro anyways might as well have a brake.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#36]
@Rob01
@Skg_Mre_Lght

Thanks!  

View Quote

Regular Diamondbacks are Philippine glass.  The Diamondback Tactical line has inferior Chinese glass.  I have the same scope, but in the 6-24x50 version, FFP MOA.  The glass is fine to about 300 yards but image degrades rapidly after that.  Its fine for my .22LR  precision use, but you may be disappointed at longer PRS distances.  Tracking is decent.  Side focus adjustment is rough and uneven, just ok.  ERBC-2 tree reticle is quite good for the price point.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

300 yds

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57471/35757A93-E874-4639-A5AC-73C3F03F51F8_png-1759647.JPG
View Quote

I'm guessing you cursed that cold bore shot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top