Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2020 6:35:03 PM EDT
shots some rounds through my new .308 today.  when i got home i went to deprime the rounds to start brass prep.  couldnt get any of them to even run far enough into the die to deprime.  tried them in a gauge and couldnt get them to fit in that either.  is my chamber out of spec or is this normal?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You lubed the brass right,some take some force to resize and deprime.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mayorbilk:
You lubed the brass right,some take some force to resize and deprime.
View Quote

i did lube them. but i after i posted this i went and did a little research and others had this problem aswell.  put more lube on the case and houdini they went right in. it worked but im still interested is this normal?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:39:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#4]
What make is the barrel?

Use imperial sizing wax. I am going to guess its hornady spray lube currently ;)

Fired brass generally won't fit in the gauge.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
What make is the barrel?

Use imperial sizing wax. I am going to guess its hornady spray lube currently ;)

Fired brass generally won't fit in the gauge.
View Quote

Or the New RCBS spray lube. Both you have to let dry for a bit to work good.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Your die's decapping pin has to extend deep enough to push the primer completely out. Simply screw it down until it does.

As far as resizing is concerned, the die has to touch the shell holder in the full upward stroke plus 1/8 turn. The extra turn removes all the play in the press linkage.

I never use small base dies, even though I own them. Standard dies work fine if properly adjusted.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
imperial size wax is what i was using
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
not a small base die.  hornady match grade dies.  ive come to the conclusion under lubing was my problem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cowboy684991:
not a small base die.  hornady match grade dies.  ive come to the conclusion under lubing was my problem.
View Quote

The hornady's and Lyman seem to have some residual on them thatll screw you up too. clean and lube the die as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top