Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2019 4:19:25 PM EDT
I'm developing some hunting loads for my 6.5 Creedmoor. When testing loads at 100 yds yesterday the POI from one load to the next dropped 6" vertically. The only difference between the loads was an additional .5 gr of powder on the load that dropped.

How could an additional .5 gr of powder make the POI DROP by 6" ?

I'll post the entire recipe if it matters but I don't think it should.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Same brass? What’s your chronograph telling you?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:40:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#2]
Two things could be in play (besides the shooter).

More powder, higher MV, less barrel time, less barrel rise.

Barrel harmonics.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiplash11:
Same brass? What’s your chronograph telling you?
View Quote
Same brass. No chrono.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
How many shots are we talking? Trying reloading same 3-5 pieces of brass with both loads and see where ya end up
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Pauperis:

How could an additional .5 gr of powder make the POI DROP by 6" ?
View Quote
In one load, the bullet leaves the barrel when the muzzle is pointing upwards;
In The other loading, the bullet leaves the barrel when the muzzle is pointing downward.

Its all barrel harmonics. 6" is a bit extreme, but not unheard of.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By whiplash11:
How many shots are we talking?
View Quote
5 shot groups. These were groups 2 and 3. Groups 4 and 5 opened up to 5" so I attributed it to the barrel getting too hot. This is a slim profile hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#8]
On OCW I've seen 4 inches in .2 grains before.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Update: I went to the range today to test out some loads. After firing 2 fouling shots I noticed that the barrel was moving in relation to the stock. Both screws that attach the stock to the action were loose. I didn't have an allen key with me so my testing session was over before it began. Its a stock gun and I never touched those screws so I never thought to check them. Well, mystery solved.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Good to hear.  Things like that frustrate me to no end.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:41:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#11]
(deleted, RIF)
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pauperis:
Update: I went to the range today to test out some loads. After firing 2 fouling shots I noticed that the barrel was moving in relation to the stock. Both screws that attach the stock to the action were loose. I didn't have an allen key with me so my testing session was over before it began. Its a stock gun and I never touched those screws so I never thought to check them. Well, mystery solved.
View Quote
Considering you have to re-zero anyway, now would be a great time to pull the action out, give it a little cleaning and fresh coat of oil, ditto on the base/rings. Then hit everything with a torque wrench.

A dab of green loctite probably wouldn't hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top