Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2018 7:27:50 PM EDT
has anyone tried different barrel extensions so it fits in the upper tighter?

in other words,   i want my barrel to fit super snug in upper.   what is easiest way to do that?   i am trying to increase accuracy in my "precision" ar build.   currently an fairly standard aero upper with a jp super match barrel, geissele handguard, lmt enhanced bolt.

it seems like the tighter it is , the better accuracy i should get assuming i am trying to go from 8's and 9's to 4's or 5's

just trying to rule out some simple fixes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:29:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#1]
Read over the tacked thread “hellbenders guide”. You’ll want to shim the barrel with SS shim stock or use the loctite method to increase the contact between the receiver/barrel extension.

Edit: I’ve had good luck with some regular forged uppers, but I’d recommend a Vltor MUR-1a or a quality billet upper for a heavy barrel. Thicker walled receivers are believed to help with the overall precision of the system.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Read over the tacked thread “hellbenders guide”. You’ll want to shim the barrel with SS shim stock or use the loctite method to increase the contact between the receiver/barrel extension.

Edit: I’ve had good luck with some regular forged uppers, but I’d recommend a Vltor MUR-1a or a quality billet upper for a heavy barrel. Thicker walled receivers are believed to help with the overall precision of the system.
View Quote
This, or the BCM uppers as they are under sized for a very very tight fit. I used loctite on all mine. but not needed with BCM uppers. Disregard if going billet
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You can find thick walled billet uppers on sale at JSE Surplus. They're discontinued MEGA uppers, even though theyre no longer labeled as MEGA. I have one and the extension fits very tight
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I use bearing sleeve retainer compound.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's only a little loose Loctite 609 or 620 will work well

Stainless steel shim stock is available in a wide variety of thicknesses.

On one truly sloppy upper (7.62x39mm) I used Devcon steel epoxy knowing I would never take it apart.

Millions of AR's have been built without going to these measures that shoot very very well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve been using BCM uppers on my last several precision oriented builds. I don’t know how much it helps, but it certainly doesn’t seem to hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top