Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2021 7:54:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArimoDave]
A description will follow below.  But, my idea is primarily based on this Speed Silhouette game as shot in the Extreme Benchrest Airgun Matches, with a bit from Stangskyting (the Norwegian speed event), and F-Class highpower.  

For reference, here is a video on the Speed Silhouette in 2017.  Note the idiot shooting iron sights at 4:58.  That front sight on his Benjamin Armada is the Right Sight, but not shown is the PNW rear with Gehmann adjustable aperture.  He also had a custom 20 shot linear magazine that he made specifically for the Open class.  (That idiot is me.)  Since this match, they now have five targets at each bank for 20 total. I also now shoot with a scope and have a 25 round magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvBEf7j9zMQ

Anyway, here is the description of my match idea:

Twenty targets are to be shot as quickly and as accurately as possible.  The targets have scoring rings in which an incremental time penalty will be applied for hits outside the central scoring ring.  The 20 targets will be either four banks of five targets each, or five banks with four targets each.  Each bank of targets will be at different ranges with the closest and furthest bank representing a line of sight trajectory of at least 3.5 minutes of angle (MOA).  Classes of rifles can vary from air rifles shooting pellets, to .22 rimfire, to centerfire rifles.  Targets will be sized and placed accordingly for the particular classes.  

A complete match will be 60 targets presented.  That is, each shooter gets to shoot at the targets three times.  The fastest total time including penalties will be the winner of the match.  

Shooters will shoot from either a supported prone position with only a front rest or bipod, or from a bench also with only a front rest or bipod support.  The shooters will start in position with an unloaded rifle, and three magazines loaded with seven rounds each.  Upon the start command, the shooter will load and fire at the targets which will either fall, or be obscured when hit.  A significant time penalty will be assessed for any targets still standing.  

Ideally, the targets should stop the time automatically when all are down or obscured (series switches).  The shooter should also be able to stop the time when the allotted 21 rounds are fired by pressing a button at the firing point.  

ETA:  If you would not want to shoot this game post your reasons why.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
This sounds fun!

Locally here a few years ago someone put on an event with multiple targets at unknown distances and you had to carry your rifle to  the various shooting positions.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Carrying your rifle to different locations and shooting at unknown distances sounds a lot like the airgun game of Field Target.  In that game the targets are anywhere from 10 to 55 yards and you can only estimate the distance by using your eyeballs, or the parallax adjustment on your scope.  Usually there are two or three targets per lane and you get only two shots per target.  Additionally, the targets are critter shaped with a hole and paddle behind the hole that must be cleanly shot.  A split on the face will lock the target from falling.  Only felled targets count.

There have been muzzle loading, and archery shoots with similar challenges, but the expense of centerfire targets for that would get spendy for a club.  Even the centerfire version of my envision might be somewhat expensive.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I updated the original post with a request that if you would not want to shoot this game to state your reasons why.  I won't be offended in the least.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh. I shot high power and small bore metallic silhouette for quite a few years, won many state level class titles. That was a fun game because it is an insanely difficult game with lots of room for practical application of the skills you develop and lots of room to measure improvement over time. This version seems like it's just for trigger pullers that want to pull triggers fast. I don't see where there's any significant practical application of the skills being used nor do I see much room for measuring how the skills are going to be improved over time because it's a time trial. Eliminate the time trial part and the result is slower shots for newer shooters, faster for more experienced and the new shooters will gain speed naturally as they progress their skills and be able to use their stage score over time to stage completion as a measure of their skill building progress. I'm sure it'll be lots of fun but it's just pulling triggers fast. Time limits are important because they make you move it along at at least a minimum pace so the day doesn't drag on because of slow pokes. Tracking minimum time as a scoring component just doesn't help anything and is indeed counter productive to the goal of developing skill as a rifleman.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top