Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2021 4:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TWoodcook]
Finally ready to buy my first 6.5creed. Two stores in town even have the rifle I want in stock. Problem is ammo is non-existent on the shelves and has been for months. My trusty favorite round, 308, however is plentiful and prices have really come down. When I manage to find 6.5 online it’s easily 2.50 a round or higher. I’m planning on getting into reloading this fall and wondering if the money planned for the 6.5 rifle might be better spent on reload equipment and some 308 dies and stick it out with what I have. I know this panic buying won’t last forever but some rounds are coming back much quicker and more affordable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Cm ammo and components will be found in stock much sooner than my new project....280 ackley improved..

I've got the rifle, dies, primers and powder. I need brass and bullets. And I am so tired of looking. I will take a drive down to outdoor world. I might find some bullets but brass ain't happening. Not wasting components to try and fire form either. I might eventually break down and get factory ammo but I'm hoping some hornady brass shows up soon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m not saying you shouldn’t get into reloading but you couldn’t pick a worse time.   6.5 is very popular so everything like h4350 RL16 etc is a unicorn.  Primers in general are non existent or $$$ on secondary market.

If your going to get into reloading I’ve seen more supplies for 7mm than anything.
If you have a lot of .308 brass then a 7-08 might be something to think about.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What gun are you looking at? If you know you want to get a 6.5 pay the premium or wait it out. A lot of the premium ammo doesn't seem to have been as affected as plinking stuff percentage wise. A lot of 6.5 Creedmoor was $1.25-$1.50 a round normally.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sigman68] [#6]
A friend went out and bought a 6.5CM earlier this year, and I taught him how to reload.

Luckily, I had a few extra 100 packs of CCI 450 primers, so he bought some small pocket Lapua brass, Berger bullets, and some H4350.

Everything was pretty normal except the H4350, he paid $300 for 8lbs + tax.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sigman68:
A friend went out and bought a 6.5CM earlier this year, and I taught him how to reload.

Luckily, I had a few extra 100 packs of CCI 450 primers, so he bought some small pocket Lapua brass, Berger bullets, and some H4350.

Everything was pretty normal except the H4350, he paid $300 for 8lbs + tax.
View Quote

I see you’re in Utah. Check Ace Hardware. I just got 8 pounds of H4350 for $250 at Ace with one of their 10% off coupons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top