Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2020 10:02:40 PM EDT
Now that 6.5 Creedmoor is more common as well as the newer Valkyrie why do we continue to see rifle length gas systems in 22” and 24” barrels? Also, suppressed shooting is MUCH more common than ever before.

A 24” Creedmoor barrel that is suppressed is going to have too much dwell time as well as too hard an impulse with rifle length gas.

Rainer seems to be the only one that offers a “Rifle +1” or “Rifle +2” gas systems.

Why don’t more barrels makers jump on this bandwagon?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Too small of a market, would be my guess.

Easier to drill a smaller gas port or use an existing adjustable gas block than to create a new gas system standard.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
JP Rifles sells their 22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrels with an "Extra Long" gas system, I believe it's a +2".
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Magickaldood:
Too small of a market, would be my guess.

Easier to drill a smaller gas port or use an existing adjustable gas block than to create a new gas system standard.
View Quote
I imagine it has more to do with "it's the way we've always done it" mentality. Carbine gas systems were standard on 16" barrels for the longest time until someone realized how dumb that was and came up with "mid length" and the newer "intermediate".

It took the Army until the 2000's to finally let soldiers use umbrellas.   Do you know why umbrellas were forbidden in the Army?  Most people would always answer, "because it's the way we've always done it."   It was because they "spooked the horses."   Yes, you read that right....they spooked the horses...and it took almost 100 years to get rid of that stupid rule because "it's the way we've always done it."

Here's hoping "Rifle +1" and "rifle +2" becomes more common with barrel makers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Proof Research uses rifle +2

I agree that we’ll likely see more options in the longer gas system start to arrive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Rainier, JP Enterprises, X Caliber and Proof Research have XL gas systems available for the more overbore calibers like 6.5CM. Might be more but that is all that I can remember from my earlier research when I was going to put a large frame 6.5 together.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bleaman225:
Proof Research uses rifle +2

I agree that we’ll likely see more options in the longer gas system start to arrive.
View Quote
I hope you're right.

I've recently sent a barrel of to a smith with Midlength gas to be cut to 11.5ish"  Perhaps a tad shorter.  Will be suppressed so should run fine.  Was almost tempted to have him cut it to an even 11"

I'd like to see more of the larger caliber (and even 5.56 and grendel types) coming with longer than "normal" gas systems due to many people shooting suppressed now a days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top