Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2018 12:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eviljoe]
Why would I get a Bergara HMR over the Ruger Precision?  They’re both in the middle of my max price range.
I do like that it’s lighter, but the Ruger gets great reviews shooting very far out. Both get good reviews really.
I’ll be doing 80% of my shooting at 200Y, however, I will get to a range that goes to 1200Y.
I am new to bolt action and long-range, but I want something that can reach out to 1000Y.

My current scope is an SWFA SS 12x42, But I’m very interested in the Primary Arms 3-18x50mm FFP, ACSS HUD DMR.

My options are (from most expensive to least expensive):

1 Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Rifle Black / Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor 24-inch
2 Weatherby Vanguard Modular Chassis Black 6.5 Creedmoor 20-inch
3 Savage 10 GRS 6.5 Creedmoor 24-inch
4 Ruger Precision Rifle Matte Black 6.5 Creedmoor 24-inch 10Rds M-LOK
5 Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 Creedmoor 22" Barrel Brown Stock 5rd
6 Savage Model 10 BA Black 6.5 Creedmoor 24-inch 10Rds Threaded Barrel Monolithic Chassis
7 MOSSBERG MVP LIGHT CHASSIS 6.5 CREEDMOOR 20” barrel
(I do like that this one is only like 7.5lbs).  
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Of all those options listed, get the tikka. I work on rifles for a living, the Tikka is nicer than the others. The Ruger has some neat features but is a little rough in areas. The bergara is a nice rifle for the price, but the tikka, even though it has less aftermarket support, is a great rifle and action for the price.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:02:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzer] [#2]
Just want to add, a simple way to look at it, the bergara is like an improved Remington the Ruger  is a bolt action AR10.. lol
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:07:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eviljoe] [#3]
The stainless barrel on the Tikka is going to last as long as a coated (nitride/chrome-lined barrel on the others)?

Does it use proprietary mags, or PMAG (AICS) style mags?  ETA:  Mags are proprietary ($60)

Why call a 24" barreled gun "COMPACT"?  (Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Rifle Black / Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor 24-inch)

I've found a deal where it actually costs less than the Ruger Precision Rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get a manners stock for the tikka, and it will take AI mags, the factory mags are good but yes proprietary. Barrel life depends on some factors but expect 2400-3000 from pretty much any of them. Tikka would require a gunsmith to rebarrel the Ruger you can do yourself with the right tools. Ruger will take just about any mag out there, which is a plus. If I was looking to have a starter to upgrade in the future, tikka. For a fun and capable right now and easy to mod and change up, Ruger. I just didn’t like the stock on the Ruger. But that’s an easy fix, it takes anything an AR will.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get a manners stock for the tikka, and it will take AI mags, the factory mags are good but yes proprietary. Barrel life depends on some factors but expect 2400-3000 from pretty much any of them. Tikka would require a gunsmith to rebarrel the Ruger you can do yourself with the right tools. Ruger will take just about any mag out there, which is a plus. If I was looking to have a starter to upgrade in the future, tikka. For a fun and capable right now and easy to mod and change up, Ruger. I just didn’t like the stock on the Ruger. But that’s an easy fix, it takes anything an AR will.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel like the HMR is a more refined rifle than the RPR, especially if you're looking at the HMR PRO.  Both of them shoot very well.  Do you want a more traditional style stock or a chassis?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s a great question.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
While I love the look of Chassis type guns, they're usually more pricey.  
I can get the Tikka T3X CTR in stainless for $986 or blued for $948 (both are 24").
The Bergara HMR is 22" and $892.
So the price isn't a big deal between these, BUT I don't want to have to mod it much (maybe another $200-$300 over a year--but I can't afford a $400-$600 chassis with a stock).

The Tikka T3X stock looks cheap (and has no height adjustment) compared to the Bergara or RPR--that was the only thing I didn't like. A few threads have mentioned reading about problems with Bergara, but I haven't read about any issues. Everyone loves the action on the Tikka (but they say the Bergara is almost as smooth).
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the Ruger stock.  It adjusts every which way imaginable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By panzer:
Just want to add, a simple way to look at it, the bergara is like an improved Remington the Ruger  is a bolt action AR10.. lol
View Quote
That's kind of a silly statement.  Sure it shares some things but it's not a bolt action AR by any means.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzer] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
That's kind of a silly statement.  Sure it shares some things but it's not a bolt action AR by any means.
View Quote
In terms of adaptability of accessories. Not in terms of action etc. it’s a very simple statement not meant as a blanket. You can put all sorts of AR parts on it. Stock, rail, grips, etc. takes Pmags, and Armalite AR10 mags, AI mags. Bolt opens into the stock, not exposed, same safety..  So  it’s closer to an AR in that regard than the others. That’s one of its advantages. Not silly at all. If you shoot ARs a lot the transition to the Ruger is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Huge thread on it Here from when it appeared until now. Lots of information and reviews, experiences etc.  I have had a few come through the shop and every single one was set up different, very adaptable to the individual. Had a few Bergaras come through as well. Pretty much a traditional type rifle. The tikkas that come trough have been varied as well from standard stocks for hunting, manners stocks, factory chassis, and aftermarket  chassis, rebarreled with and without a recoil lug for fitting in different stocks etc. they are very nice actions. But from what your saying you want to spend and do, I think the Ruger will probably fit your needs the most.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah.  The RPR is probably good for a person like me, who likes to add a few things here and there.

I do prefer the chassis type guns (90% of the RPR handguard is just extra weight to me).
But the RPR has cheap mags, I can easily put another barrel on it eventually, it get's pretty universal acclaim (other than a few complaints about heavy triggers), and I can't find any big issues with the newer ones (I do see a few issues with the HMR and Tikka--feeding mostly, but one Tikka bolt broke and he was saying that Tikka wasn't replacing it, which seems unlikely).

The Savage BA 10 Stealth looks like it competes pretty well with the RPR (I assume it has a good trigger), though it would need a new stock right off the bat (not sure what they're thinking with that monstrosity).

I currently have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 that I really like, but the Magpul Hunter Stock makes it too heavy to carry as a hunter, and the shorter, thinner barrel makes it less ideal as a precision rig (and mine won't take AICS mags in stock form).
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Bergara HMR Pro or Bergara LRP if you like chassis. The Premier barreled actions are phenomenal. However I’m in a Bergara group and some of the B-14 rifles amaze me with the groups they produce. The Pro is just much more refined and has a SS match barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I own a Bergara and have shot a RPR.  What I couldn't live with on the RPR is the zip tie like feeling when running the bolt back and forth and as much as I wanted one when I got the chance to shoot one I could not get comfortable behind the gun.  What I love about my Bergara is the action is very smooth (easiest bolt lift on cocking cycle of any rifle I've ever owned), good out of the box Ergonomics, and mine has been wonderfully accurate (.5-.6 MOA with Hornady American Gunner ammo).  If you can find local folks with both try them out.  Lots of people love their RPRs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I've owned both, and at the same time. I really, really liked the Bergara, but in the end the RPR shot better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#17]
The Bergara is very tempting especially when the Pro HMR 300WM is $1400 ish. However I have a hard time finding optic rails that have recoil lugs. Night Force makes one but it has gotten bad reviews for misaligned holes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been very happy with my Bergara B14 HMR. It's plenty accurate and consistent. Mine is not in 6.5 Creedmoor, but 6.5 PRC.

I put a Badger rail on it along with TPS rings.

I would buy another Bergara if I were in the market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top