Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 6/27/2018 8:03:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/27/2018 8:08:46 AM EST by Pneumagger]
I'm looking for a quality 22"-24" barrel either in 6.5CM or .260Rem (haven't decided yet) that is nitrided, threaded, AND has extended gas length. If I go 22" I was tinking I'd select select +1XL or if 24" I'll probably select +2XL. I've read ALOT of great things from people that went with Criterion or Ballistic Advantage and they provide 22" Nitrided barrels... but they're rifle length gas. I know you can configure X-Caliber barrels with nitride and a +1XL length... but I've heard some mixed reviews of their recent production.

What other options do I have?

Or am I making too big of a deal about needing an extended gas length... should I just get a Criterion/BA barrel and use a good adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:07:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/27/2018 8:08:17 AM EST by Keyst0ne]
JP

https://jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php

Not nitrided though
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:11:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/27/2018 8:12:48 AM EST by Pneumagger]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keyst0ne:
JP

https://jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php

Not nitrided though
View Quote
Deal breaker for me unless there's some other factor (like a crazy deal too good to pass up).
I'd rather deal with fighting a rifle gas length before giving up on the nitriding.... but if what I wan't isn't out there then I'll start looking at conventional SS offerings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:25:41 PM EST
LaRue has both .260 Rem and 6.5CM with +2 gas.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:40:01 PM EST
The nitride part is wise throws a kink in things. Maybe try calling compass lake engineering and see if they can make you a Criterion one in that configuration
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:22:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
View Quote
Really? did not know that. OP seriously consider a Larue barrel. I believe they are nitrided.

OP I can say my Larue out shoots my Bartlein and my Shilen on my .223. Don't have experience with their .264 barrels but I wouldn't hesitate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:48:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By Torchy:
Really? did not know that. OP seriously consider a Larue barrel. I believe they are nitrided.

OP I can say my Larue out shoots my Bartlein and my Shilen on my .223. Don't have experience with their .264 barrels but I wouldn't hesitate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torchy:
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

I must be a ‘tard... can someone link this for me?

I’m not seeing barrels-only for sale on the LT webpage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:17:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:

I must be a ‘tard... can someone link this for me?

I’m not seeing barrels-only for sale on the LT webpage.
View Quote
I don't think they sell the 6.5 barrels separate. Gotta be part of the ultimate upper deal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:24:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By robpiat:

I don't think they sell the 6.5 barrels separate. Gotta be part of the ultimate upper deal.
View Quote

Not buying a whole upper to cannibalize for the barrel.

I think I decided that it’ll be less than half the cost of a 6.5mm AR to rebarrel my 308 bolt gun and have the action printed and trued while I’m at it. Reusing the stock, rings and glass saves a bunch vs buying a whole other AR... probably more accurate too
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 4:53:30 PM EST
You're probably going to end up having to get one custom made given your requirements.

There are places to get barrel extensions for LR-6.5s, grab one of those and have a smith spin you a barrel from something cut rifled; then have it nitrided.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 4:57:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By SuperDutyMikeMc:
You're probably going to end up having to get one custom made given your requirements.

There are places to get barrel extensions for LR-6.5s, grab one of those and have a smith spin you a barrel from something cut rifled; then have it nitrided.
View Quote
That going to cost you. A lot.

I did something similar minus the nitriding and it was $900.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:12:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By robpiat:

View Quote
They’re selling 260 barrels now as part of a sale. But, they are 399$ for the tobr rifles.

For around 550$ you can have a Bartlein chambered and threaded with your desired gas system from a few shops.

I’m happy with my BA 6.5creed. It routinely produces sub .5moa 5 shot groups. A few weeks back it produced a .72moa 10 shot group with factory Hornady ammo, using a bipod and rear squeeze bag and at least 2 of the shots were pulled due to hot brass rolling up against my firing arm. That barrel is likely the best 200$ I’ve ever spent.

I wouldn’t worry too much about nitriding the barrel for a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:21:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

View Quote
You got ripped off.
I once had McGowan Precision make me a .308win AR10 barrel from scratch 5 years ago before long-for-length gas ports were popular ... it was <$300 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:07:43 AM EST
You got ripped off.
I once had McGowan Precision make me a .308win AR10 barrel from scratch 5 years ago before long-for-length gas ports were popular ... it was <$300 shipped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

You got ripped off.
Must have been a $5 blank.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:28:42 PM EST
FWIW - I believe the LaRue large frame barrels have a proprietary extension that only fits their uppers.
Top Top