Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
White Oak SPR (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2023 6:50:58 PM EDT
I normally order LaRue uppers because they are consistently accurate. But I have known about and read snippets about White Oak uppers for a very long time. I need a 16” upper for 600 yd shoots and ground squirrels. My only two options, in my mind, for an upper that may meet my needs were the LT and WO. I finally placed the order for the WO Upper which will live on one of my LaRue lowers.

Impressions and targets to come!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have limited experience with WOA but it has been positive.  

Hardcore Highpower shooters told me their experience was that WOA was great for the price but the barrels did not last as long as more expensive brands like Krieger.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:06:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#2]
I have a White Oak 18 inch SPR profile and its amazingly accurate

First day with it. 3rd group while working up a load.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 16” WOA that I built into a rifle. I miss it dearly, someone here has it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
I normally order LaRue uppers because they are consistently accurate. But I have known about and read snippets about White Oak uppers for a very long time. I need a 16” upper for 600 yd shoots and ground squirrels. My only two options, in my mind, for an upper that may meet my needs were the LT and WO. I finally placed the order for the WO Upper which will live on one of my LaRue lowers.

Impressions and targets to come!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
I have a White Oak 18 inch SPR profile and its amazingly accurate

First day with it. 3rd group while working up a load.

https://i.postimg.cc/8PpyBZ2b/20210708-221520.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/N05S8drn/20210708-221530.jpg

View Quote

That’ll do!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
I had a 16” WOA that I built into a rifle. I miss it dearly, someone here has it.
View Quote

Someone here has my Tobr and boy do I miss it! Oh well, onward…
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I love WOA, I have had a few of the SPR barrels. The last couple I had issues with and they had to go back. Not sure what's up with that lately but I would still buy them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:11:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#8]
Originally Posted By FarPlaces:
I love WOA, I have had a few of the SPR barrels. The last couple I had issues with and they had to go back. Not sure what's up with that lately but I would still buy them.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I’ll be posting my no bs opinions even though I am looking forward to my first woa. I have some extremely accurate loads to work with so we shall see. I would love it if I could post another moa challenge target.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

Hardcore Highpower shooters told me their experience was that WOA was great for the price but the barrels did not last as long as more expensive brands like Krieger.
View Quote

$ per bullet is the same between the premium brand high power barrels and WOA barrels. The lapped premium barrels will clean easier and you don’t have to change them as often.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a WOA 16” SPR barrel last year and have been quite pleased with it so far. I consider myself a mediocre-average shooter, I’m not a competitive shooter, just like to bang on some steel.

I managed this 10 shot group last summer after working up some Hornady 68gr bthp’s, and the rifle will do this consistently. If I recall the group measured 1.019”
Attachment Attached File

Said rifle while doing some load development
Attachment Attached File

Earlier this year I decided to take it out to 600 at my club on a not so nice day, we have steel at 690-ish yards on the back berm. Can’t say I was perfect but I managed to hit the 12” plate 70% of the time.
Attachment Attached File

Granted mine is a sample size of one but for the price I don’t think you could go wrong with a WOA offering.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NesralG:
I bought a WOA 16” SPR barrel last year and have been quite pleased with it so far. I consider myself a mediocre-average shooter, I’m not a competitive shooter, just like to bang on some steel.

I managed this 10 shot group last summer after working up some Hornady 68gr bthp’s, and the rifle will do this consistently. If I recall the group measured 1.019”
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20220902_144245_jpg-2815130.JPG

Said rifle while doing some load development
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20220831_141417_jpg-2815131.JPG

Earlier this year I decided to take it out to 600 at my club on a not so nice day, we have steel at 690-ish yards on the back berm. Can’t say I was perfect but I managed to hit the 12” plate 70% of the time.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20230225_090304_jpg-2815135.JPG

Granted mine is a sample size of one but for the price I don’t think you could go wrong with a WOA offering.
View Quote

That’ll do for me! We shoot 600 yds twice a month. That shoot and ground squirrels will be my main focus for this gun. I’ve been running my SBR’s in 3 gun practice and kind of like them. We will see.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Decent for the price compared to bartlein or krieger blank chambered up by a precision shop

But heavy and long

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an 18” WOA SPR that has shot some 0.5 moa groups. It is fun to have that accuracy in an AR15. It is a Wilson blank.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By grayman89:
Decent for the price compared to bartlein or krieger blank chambered up by a precision shop

But heavy and long

View Quote

Yeah. I am.probably selling mine and getting something a bit lighter and shorter. Going to see what WOA offers
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

Yeah. I am.probably selling mine and getting something a bit lighter and shorter. Going to see what WOA offers
View Quote

How does it shoot?

If it were me I’d be inclined to make a phone call to WOA to see if they’ll contour and chop your barrel to your liking
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Tagged, wanting to switch my heavy 20" DPMS for a 16 or 18 threaded for suppressor.  Does WOA have July 4th sale?  Suppressor is yet to be shipped so I've got months to do this.  Want light and accurate for varmints.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#17]
The last couple of years they have done "talk like a pirate day," or something like that.

It's usually in mid September.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Go 20 inch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#19]
I am running a can so 20” is not on my radar.

Called woa because OR is trying to pass new laws that will fuck me for buying uppers. It will require serialized parts on the upper. Their CS rep was nice but let me know it would be a 7-8 week build time. Not sure it will make it in time.

It would be better customer service if they defined “In Stock” on the website as meaning parts are in stock but it will take 7-8 weeks to build it.

Now I have to decide if I will roll the dice and see if I get it before the new law goes into effect or order a LaRue. If I wait I could miss out on both uppers.

Dang!

Edit: went to order a LaRue upper and the price increase was too much for my budget. I am going to roll the dice and keep the woa order since it is the one I have wanted to try for a very long time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]
White Oak was able to get my upper out! Very happy to have this one inbound!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#21]
White Oak was able to get my upper out! Very happy to have this one inbound!
View Quote

Very cool and good to hear! I tagged this thread as I look forward to your experience!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Based on their track record, I doubt this will be your last…
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]
18” In stainless is one of my favorites. Consistently sub MOA and frequently 0.5 MOA with 69 grain SMK’s. It is way more accurate than I can do justice to. I do recommend buying their complete upper and not skimping on the BCG by going elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NesralG:

How does it shoot?

If it were me I’d be inclined to make a phone call to WOA to see if they’ll contour and chop your barrel to your liking
View Quote

I havent thought of that. Good idea. It shoots amazing
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Have an order in for the 18" 3-gun 2.3lbs barrel and waiting for a back in stock delivery. More tapered and should keep the weight toward the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
Have an order in for the 18" 3-gun 2.3lbs barrel and waiting for a back in stock delivery. More tapered and should keep the weight toward the receiver.
View Quote

Nice! Are you going to run a brake or can? I am try to decide if I should order the precision armament M4-72 or the Aero v6 gamma. I am going to try this one in 3 gun so leaning towards the M4. I want minimum movement.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I have some yankee hill cans coming and it will live on the rifle. Just going to direct thread my 16"ers, this 18" and a couple 14.5"ers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I have some yankee hill cans coming and it will live on the rifle. Just going to direct thread my 16"ers, this 18" and a couple 14.5"ers.
View Quote

I ordered an M4-72 brake to test. I’ll also test it with my Socom can. I definitely prefer the cane over a brake but for 3gun the brake may be the choice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#29]
White Oak is on top of their ordering process. They reached out to me right after my border to ask if I still wanted the extra gas tube since one comes with the barrel. I told them I threw it in the cart as a spare since the 3 gun barrels have a -1 inch length vs rifle length. Good customer service.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#30]
It has arrived! Thanks WOA!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Very nice!! Can't wait to see it mounter up with some glass!
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

Very nice!! Can't wait to see it mounter up with some glass!
View Quote

Fit to a LaRue lower is excellent all around.
Attachment Attached File

Glass mounted and ready for some load development. LT base didn’t even have to be adjusted.
Attachment Attached File

Shooting is going to have to wait until next week.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Beautiful. I miss my WOA gun. I had them build one for my first AR. Sold it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#34]
Breaking it in the old fashion way, painfully slow!
Attachment Attached File

Showing some promise. This is Black Hills 223 77gr red box. Averaged 2,616 fps over 25 rounds. SD was 8 for the first 20 rounds then one shot blew it out to 15. I think I picked up a random round…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Bullets lined up for load testing over Varget and Tac:

77 gr Lapua Scenar
77gr SMK
77 gr Blemish BHA w canalure

Later I will work on the 53-60 gr pills.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Breaking it in the old fashion way, painfully slow!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/IMG_1539_jpeg-2840656.JPG

Showing some promise. This is Black Hills 223 77gr red box. Averaged 2,616 fps over 25 rounds. SD was 8 for the first 20 rounds then one shot blew it out to 15. I think I picked up a random round…
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/IMG_1540_jpeg-2840659.JPG
View Quote

Very  nice!! Looks like it's already doing great!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I get 1moa with factory SMK and black hills. I haven't put any handloads through it but to me any AR barrel punching an inch with factory SMKs is doing great.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
I get 1moa with factory SMK and black hills. I haven't put any handloads through it but to me any AR barrel punching an inch with factory SMKs is doing great.
View Quote

1” or better is gtg for me. I have owned rifles that would exceed that easily but they are fairly rare. My most accurate loads have been with 77gr Berger’s but I am down to 20 of those. I’ll be focusing on bullets I have 600+ of so I don’t have to go through this again.

Mounted the M4-72 brake on it. Can’t wait to see how it works.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#39]
Update on the progression of the woa. The m4-72 brake is excellent in all regards. It really works well so I don’t loose the target when I shoot. Really settles things down,

Still working on loads. First test with Varget is done and part of the test with Tac is loaded.

I did load up some 69smk’s to run at last saturdays 3gun practice. Off the roof I was able to clean the first 4 of 5 know your limits targets with the T2 mounted. The final target, 1”, took a few rounds but I nailed it. Not sure anyone else hit the little one. Target was at 97yds.

Cleaning the barrel is simple. It really doesn’t copper up at all. The copper is gone by the second patch and what comes out on the first is very minimal. With a tight patch the bore is very smooth. Only bore smother I have felt is my Bartlien barrel.

Happy so far but need to devote more time to getting the loads nailed down.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a WOA 18" SPR barrel.  Shoots like a dream.  I was getting .6" groups with Fiocchi factory 77gr ammo.  69gr loads are still at or under 1", but it likes 77gr hand loads better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#41]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
I have a WOA 18" SPR barrel.  Shoots like a dream.  I was getting .6" groups with Fiocchi factory 77gr ammo.  69gr loads are still at or under 1", but it likes 77gr hand loads better.
View Quote

Hopefully I’ll get some time to do some load testing. I would like to see what I can get out of this one.

Edit, load development this afternoon. Finished up and decided to test my ground squirrel load. Loaded the rifle and mounted it. Damned if there wasn’t a ground squirrel chewing on the bottom of my target. Load was dead on! First blood for the woa!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve had a couple WOA builds. Never have i been disappointed with their accuracy!!! My last two builds have been Noveske and I’m happy with these as well!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By gunner-g:
I’ve had a couple WOA builds. Never have i been disappointed with their accuracy!!! My last two builds have been Noveske and I’m happy with these as well!
View Quote

I finally took it out for a ground squirrel session. Super happy with it but the squirrels weren’t. I have a Noveske that John Noveske built for a friend of mine. I bought this WOA so I don’t beat that one up because it has sentimental value.

I do want to build an sbr’d Noveske just because.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 7:18:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#44]
Looks like my 2.3 lbs 3 gun barrel has shipped so will be getting my long range rig updated with a better barrel. Interested to see how the WOA does. Will be replacing a 20" Black Hole Armory barrel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like my 2.3 lbs 3 gun barrel has shipped so will be getting my long range rig updated with a better barrel. Interested to see how the WOA does. Will be replacing a 20" Black Hole Armory barrel.
View Quote

Nice. Interested to hear because I have uppers that need to be built.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#46]
Well got the barrel in and upper together. It will be a single shot for a while till my suppressor clears. I have a reduced port gasblock and plan to tune the gasblock when the suppressor is mounted 100%. They oversize the gas block journal so you have to "shoe polish" sand it to get a nice snug fit for the gasblock. Thermal fit was not too bad for my BCM upper. I like the balance of the tapered 2.3 barrel. Still thick where it needs to be but not too thick at the end. Should be a nice shooter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:  Well got the barrel in and upper together. It will be a single shot for a while till my suppressor clears. I have a reduced port gasblock and plan to tune the gasblock when the suppressor is mounted 100%. They oversize the gas block journal so you have to "shoe polish" sand it to get a nice snug fit for the gasblock. Thermal fit was not too bad for my BCM upper. I like the balance of the tapered 2.3 barrel. Still thick where it needs to be but not too thick at the end. Should be a nice shooter.
View Quote

Try freezing the bbl & boiling the gas block.  Use tongs & gloves.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#48]
It is already on and has a nice snug fit. May get to test some rounds this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Finally getting back to load development. This is a seating depth test with 77 Scenar over Tac. The first group shows some potential but the one flier baffles me. Third group is the best. I will be shooting 25 of each to see if it was my bad on the first one and to see if the third holds true.
Attachment Attached File

Shot a reference group with Black Hills 223 77gr open tip.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I realize your loading 77gr for the 600yd line but you might try some lighter bullets like the 60gr V-max (flat base) or 63gr SMP from Sierra (also flat base).  I've had excellent results with the Sierra Game King bullet too.  It's a 65 gr spitzer boat tail.  What twist rate is your barrel?  I've tried and tried to get my 1:8 twist barrels to shoot the 77gr bullets well but I've found better success with the lighter bullets.  That's just my experience.  I've got a 20" WOA 1:7 twist barrel now so I may go down that road again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
White Oak SPR (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top