Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2023 12:27:15 AM EDT
With the help of ARFCOM, you folks helped me build two fine rifles.  A .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor.  Both are tack drivers!  Thanks so much for the advice, recommendations and help.  Now it's time to try something completely different.  A big block AR in .243.  I know there are other options in 6mm for the semi auto.  But .243 holds a place in my heart.

I'm having trouble sourcing a barrel.  Are there any "off the rack" barrel options or am I destined to custom?  Unfortunately, with this build price is a factor.  Any help to find a barrel would be greatly appreciated.

(No...  Not a WTB thread.  Looking for a source)
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKJP] [#1]
Wilson Combat currently shows a 16" in stock. I recently completed a .308 build and had considered a .243, as well (I love the caliber, too!). Wilson seems to have them in various lengths from time to time, but you have to keep your eye on what they have in stock. Other than that, I was only finding customs, as well. Hopefully others will have more info.  Best of luck!

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/BARREL-243-WINCHESTER-RANGER-16-ROUND-STAINLESS-GLASS-BEAD-1-10/productinfo/TR-243RAIG16RT10/
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I built a 243 large frame once trying to get a well feeding 6mm (had issues with feeding on a 6mm Creedmoor) and I never could get the gas system right and that was with a BHW barrel.

The only way I’d do it again is get a custom done up by Craddock or Keystone to get an ultra extended gas system. Those guys both know what they’re doing when it comes to setting up an AR barrel. I’d probably do a 22” with a rifle +3 or maybe even +4 gas.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top