Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2019 10:27:09 AM EDT
I meet a lot of folks on the ranges who are shooting a few shots 600-1000 and once they hit a couple of times, they are satisfied and they move on.  I’ve helped a lot of them by just asking “Where are you missing the target?” And when they are not using a spotter or spotting for each other they do not have a clue.  It is definitely as important to know the misses as you know the hits.  I have placed a normal NRA sized target 6ft x 6ft with the target pasted on backwards right behind steel targets at a particular yardline.(wherever they want to train and improve).  I have them put on their No Wind zero and the right elevation and fire a few shots.  Being able to see the impact and to measure it is extremely important.I’ve seen guys grouping several feet away from the steel and had no idea where they were hitting.  I’ve seen others swear by their rifles and ammo and yet are all over the paper.  
To train at long range steel, why not use a cardboard backer and get the shot placement on all of your shots?  Learn the value of the wind, the value of the direction, and learn the value of a click on your scope or sights?
Want to really learn value?  Don’t hold over or hold off. Try iron sights where the sight picture and alignment have to be the same perfection each shot and turn the knobs to move the impact.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss because the wind decides to go from 1 to 10 or 15 to 5.

When it's calm I hold the same MOA.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Learn to "freeze the conditions".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top