Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/20/2021 11:59:19 PM EDT
https://magpul.com/pmag-10-556-ac.html?qty=2

It has been over a year since the initial reviews and Magpul's site still says "Coming Soon".  
When are they supposed to be released??

Review from January 2020:  https://www.recoilweb.com/magpuls-new-5-56-aics-mag-is-a-boon-for-223-5-56-long-range-trainers-156192.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
lol they said soon a long long time ago. It's definitely one of their "we won't say when it will be ready" items and it's annoying.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
lol they said soon a long long time ago. It's definitely one of their "we won't say when it will be ready" items and it's annoying.
View Quote
It used to say "Summer 2020" but they changed that to just "Coming Soon".  

I'm still able to get by with the two original AI .223 mags, but they aren't made anymore.  I'd prefer not to spend $75 each on the "Accurate Mag" brand ones...  that leaves me with just the MDT mags.  They are $39 each, but not sure how well they work.

Rifle:  Remington 700 .223 in an XLR Gen 1 chassis.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jtb33:

I'm still able to get by with the two original AI .223 mags, but they aren't made anymore.  I'd prefer not to spend $75 each on the "Accurate Mag" brand ones...  that leaves me with just the MDT mags.  They are $39 each, but not sure how well they work.

View Quote

The MDT mags work great. They also allow for a longer overall length of a loaded round than the Magpul offering, which is beneficial for handloaders, especially with a factory chamber that likely has a long freebore. I’d go with the MDT and not worry about waiting for the Magpul release.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You're better off than me. I've got an American in 223 and didn't realize that AICS 223 mags and 3 lug bolt actions don't always play well together until after I had bought the hunter stock. They say their mag will work but will they ever produce them?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

The MDT mags work great. They also allow for a longer overall length of a loaded round than the Magpul offering, which is beneficial for handloaders, especially with a factory chamber that likely has a long freebore. I’d go with the MDT and not worry about waiting for the Magpul release.
View Quote

....what is the max. loaded OAL for the not yet released Magpul AICS .223 mags?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish someone would come up with a hybrid AICS unit to allow me to use the Magpul 6.8 mags in my 700 LTR

Got several AI made .223 polymer mags, but as I only want to feed 6.8 through them, doing so in a dedicated magazine makes more sense.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
My MDT mags work 100%
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:13:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlaskaJohn] [#11]
Ruger AI-Style 556/223 10 Round Magazine
10-round chassis magazine fits the Ruger Precision® Rifle and Scout Rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO/223 Rem.

The AI style 308 magazines works in my Scout and 308 Magpul Hunter. Don't know if these will work for your purpose.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Saddler:
I wish someone would come up with a hybrid AICS unit to allow me to use the Magpul 6.8 mags in my 700 LTR

Got several AI made .223 polymer mags, but as I only want to feed 6.8 through them, doing so in a dedicated magazine makes more sense.
View Quote

Getting someone to make that will be pretty hard being it’s a very limited platform but doesn’t PT&G make a AR magazine kit?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Getting someone to make that will be pretty hard being it’s a very limited platform but doesn’t PT&G make a AR magazine kit?
View Quote

I had a British made AR-mag conversion on a 700 for over 2 decades
Worked really well, BUT, it required milling of the receiver and it also required modification to any of the magazines used.
Heard of the PT&G sets, need to research them a little more - I know they do good stuff as I have a few of their reamers

I suppose another option would be to lengthen or shorten a donor AICS model to fit the hybrid 68system magazines
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Worked really well, BUT, it required milling of the receiver and it also required modification to any of the magazines used.
Heard of the PT&G sets, need to research them a little more - I know they do good stuff as I have a few of their reamers

I suppose another option would be to lengthen or shorten a donor AICS model to fit the hybrid 68system magazines
View All Quotes

I don't know anything about them but have heard it can be quite a chore to get one just right. As for modifying a AICS bottom metal to work with six8 mags I am guessing that might be tough. One of the main problems with these kits from my understanding is that getting a bolt to pick up rounds out of a double stack is tough which is why the AICS is a center feed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]

I don't know anything about them but have heard it can be quite a chore to get one just right. As for modifying a AICS bottom metal to work with six8 mags I am guessing that might be tough. One of the main problems with these kits from my understanding is that getting a bolt to pick up rounds out of a double stack is tough which is why the AICS is a center feed.
View Quote

The unit I had works like a charm, but was supplied already installed in a rifle by the designer
Never had any feeding issues with it, so he ironed all the problems out re. feeding before it hit the market
He also does conversions which take M14 magazines
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hoser:

If it comes out of PTG, 50-50 chance it wont be right.

Too bad, Dave used to have a top shelf company.
View Quote

I checked the info on their website...seems the AR mag conversion chassis shares the issue with the British designed one I used to have - metal removal required from the receiver area.
One possible advantage though, seems to run with standard magazines

Will check with a mate tomorrow, I think he had one of these or something similar from another firm - but not for long due to "issues"
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy the mdt mags, they are gtg and you can load as long as you want.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
I have one of these for my bravo chassis tikka T3X .223. it works fine and the metal body looks better than all the polymer mags IMO, but the cheaper Pmags would be good to have one or two of.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Try the MDT 224 Valkyrie mags. I’m using one in my RAP 6.5 Grendel that’s in the Oryx chassis. Feeding is not the greatest but not really no worse than the sloppy AR magazine in the original stock.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Try the MDT 224 Valkyrie mags. I’m using one in my RAP 6.5 Grendel that’s in the Oryx chassis. Feeding is not the greatest but not really no worse than the sloppy AR magazine in the original stock.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Seems like it should work being it’s basically the same case.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]
My guess is that Magpul is churning out their regular lineup of magazines as fast as they can right now.

It would be nice to see something quality in the $20 range with a decent OAL.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:54:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddler] [#23]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
My guess is that Magpul is churning out their regular lineup of magazines as fast as they can right now.

View Quote

Yip
The MDT mag for Valkyrie is for sale here - just checked the prices - £54ea, so around $70
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#24]

It has been over a year since the initial reviews and Magpul's site still says "Coming Soon".  

Review from January 2020:  https://www.recoilweb.com/magpuls-new-5-56-aics-mag-is-a-boon-for-223-5-56-long-range-trainers-156192.html
View Quote

Standard operating procedure from magpul.  Take whatever their release date is, add your age, add 36 months, add your age, divide by 2, subtract the original release date, subtract half your age, multiply by 10.
Perpetually "coming soon".
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Standard operating procedure from magpul.  Take whatever their release date is, add your age, add 36 months, add your age, divide by 2, subtract the original release date, subtract half your age, multiply by 10.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Seems a little optimistic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Yip
The MDT mag for Valkyrie is for sale here - just checked the prices - £54ea, so around $70
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sigman68:

Yip

Ouch! And I thought they were expensive here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#27]
So I bought a bunch of the MDT 223 mags for AICS and they do NOT fit the XLR chassis!  Argh.  They are a bit too wide and get stuck in the magwell.  The AI branded 223 mags fit perfectly and if anything, are a bit 'wobbly' when inserted.

I bought 4 MDT mags.  Could I have a bad batch?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:54:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#28]
So I bought a bunch of the MDT 223 mags for AICS and they do NOT fit the XLR chassis!  Argh.  They are a bit too wide and get stuck in the magwell.  The AI branded 223 mags fit perfectly and if anything, are a bit 'wobbly' when inserted.

View Quote

I can measure the ones I have if you want a particular measurement.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I'd call up MDT and talk to them. Are they not physically fitting in the magwell or not latching in?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:30:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#30]
Magpul’s primary business is truck racing and clothing. If they can’t see the market for MP5 stickmags, they are never going to make .223 AICS mags. I have been buying ruger mags for my AICS needs. I kind of like them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#31]

I'd call up MDT and talk to them. Are they not physically fitting in the magwell or not latching in?
View Quote
The front to back dimensions seem to be OK - the side dimensions towards the rear are what seem to be too wide.

I did some searching on MDT's side and from what I can find, the XLR chassis is specifically mentioned that the mags do work, but is always qualified with "may require some fitting".  I guess that means I either need to mill out the rear of the chassis magwell a bit (which I am loathe to do), or sand down the magazines in towards the rear.  

It's not that they just barely don't fit either - I tried to force one in there and had to get some tools and put the chassis in a vice in order to get it out!  lol.

I will try sanding one of the MDT's down and see how much work I need to do to get it to work.  

But I tell ya - it seems like no one is able to get a .223 AI-chassis magazine to work really well - maybe that's why Magpul is slow to release their version of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#32]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:24:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#33]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:
Magpul's primary business is truck racing and clothing. If they can't see the market for MP5 stickmags, they are never going to make .223 AICS mags. I have been buying ruger mags for my AICS needs. I kind of like them.
View Quote
Don't forget about the sunglasses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I forgot about this thread.  When I did lightly sand the side of the MDT mags, they all fit perfectly in the chassis system and work great.  Per MDT, they are designed to be fitted.  *shrug*
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#36]
They slip right in to my KRG Bravo.  

Regardless they work fantastically compared to Tikka 223 magazines.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
They slip right in to my KRG Bravo.  

Regardless they work fantastically compared to Tikka 223 magazines.
View Quote

MDTs work great in my R700 in a KRG Bravo. I just picked up another one to add to the pile.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

MDTs work great in my R700 in a KRG Bravo. I just picked up another one to add to the pile.
View Quote

Yep I came here to say this. My mdt works as good or better than my accurate.

Mkm extension too, mostly so 10rds fits easier.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#39]
The Magpul 223 AICS magazines are up for sale on their website. I figure for 39.95 they are worth a try.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Yup, they are available.
I just purchased 2 of them, then, after I ordered, I read the bottom specs....
I'm a dumbass for waiting 2 years for these mags.
My Ruger American Ranch (.223) will remain a single shot while in the Magpul Hunter Stock

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MR_JOSHUA:
Yup, they are available.
My Ruger American Ranch (.223) will remain a single shot while in the Magpul Hunter Stock

https://i.imgur.com/ty78Dqp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5ZVoTRi.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MR_JOSHUA:
Yup, they are available.

https://i.imgur.com/ty78Dqp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5ZVoTRi.jpg

Mother F*****

That's a new addition and I most cerainly didn't see it when I ordered mine.

I sent a email and asked specifically and was told it would work. I guess my fears that they didn't really read/understand my question because they are either morons or didn't bother to check was well founded.

Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:35:26 AM
To: Foolish customer that bought Magpul products thinking they would work
Subject: Magpul Case #108694 CRM:0069048

Dear Loser,

Good morning! Yes our MAG1100 will work in our Hunter American sock.

Have a great day! 

Customer Comment/Question:
Will the new PMAG® 10 5.56 AC™ – AICS Short Action work with a Ruger American 223 in your hunger stock?

I ask because people have issues with various other mags with the 223 guns.  

MAGPUL INDUSTRIES CORP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Does that rifle not take aics mags?
View Quote

It does for .308, not .223
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Got mine yesterday. They work!
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#45]
What kind of mags does your Ruger in the magpul stock take???
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:56:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#47]

Does that rifle not take aics mags?
View Quote

Originally Posted By DOG556:
What kind of mags does your Ruger in the magpul stock take???
View Quote

The stock takes AICS mags so they physically fit in the gun but the receiver geometry(their words) is off so it won’t feed out of them.

Apparently 3 lug actions in general
Can be a bit more problematic and these 3 lug 223’s do not like AICS mags. In the past there have been mags that people were able to get to work but they are now discontinued. MDT and Accurate both are aware of it and at least one of them is working on a solution but it’s been at least as long as we’ve been waiting on these mags so I’m not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MR_JOSHUA] [#48]

What type of mags does it take? A proprietary one for .223?
View Quote

It’s rather shady the way Magpul advertises the Hunter stock for the Ruger American Ranch.
It’s marketed as a stock for the RAR short action, and it comes with a 5rd .308 magazine.
The stock will fit a RAR in .223, but there isn’t a magazine that will work reliably.
The new magazine they just released will work fine for .223 in the Hunter stocks (Rem700 models and perhaps others), not the RAR
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I kind of hope someone makes an affordable precision rifle using these mags now that they're out. I'd love a precision bolt gun that's cheap to feed, and my local range options aren't long enough to make anything above .223 worth it. I was hoping a Ruger American in a chassis would work but it seems Magpul really fucked that up.

I'd love if Ruger brought back the .223 version of the Ruger Precision Rifle.

And for the record, the bit on the Magpul product page about it not working with the Ruger American was added recently, so you didn't overlook it or anything. Pretty shitty of them.

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah I didn't think I needed to read the description again after having read it numerous times and them telling me directly the mags would work. I laugh about it but it's definitely frustrating.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top