Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2020 12:50:37 PM EDT
Why is it only now that I decided to try precision shooting? It is so much fun! I bought this rifle last month and took it to the range for the first time last weekend. It is a Thompson/Center LRR 6.5CM and I mounted a 5-25 Vortex Strike Eagle on it.  Last weekend I zeroed the scope at 25 yards because the 100 was kinda crowded and had it sub moa all day and I really enjoyed it.  Yesterday I went to the 100 yard range and it still did well but was more like 1.5 moa with Sellier&Bellot 140gr. I did have a couple of sub moa groups though and so I think that is more me than the rifle, ammo or scope.

I think for now I just need to work on my own skill set with it but dang is it a ton of fun! I just wonder why I didn't get into this sooner?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to investigate snipershide for lots and LOTS of information about precision rifle shooting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It really gets fun when you start stretching out the distance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Consider this a free LR lesson.

MOA, or minute of angle, is a method of measuring an angle. In shooting terms, an MOA is a cone where the tip of the cone begins at the muzzle and the base of the cone extends from there. MOA is generally discussed at known distances, ergo 1 MOA is a touch over 1 inch in diamter at 100 yards.

1 MOA at 200 yards however is 2 inches in diameter, as the the farther that cone extendes, the wider the base gets.
1 MOA at 25 yards would be 1/4 of the diamter of an MOA at 100 yards, that is to say the diameter of the cone at 25y would be 1/4in.
At 50 yards the base of that cone is 1/2 the diameter that it would be at 100y, or 1 MOA is equal to .5in @ 50 yards.

So a 1in group at 50 yards would be 2 MOA. A 1in group at 25y would be 4 MOA.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Enjoy the addiction!!

I’d suggest trying Hornady 140eld, Hornady american gunner 140’s and Federal Gold Medal 130’s or other match ammo (Berger/Prime). They should do much better than the S&B.

Also, you may want to space out your rings differently. Sometimes you can bind up the parallax or erector by having the rings directly adjacent to the turret.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Yup try some different ammo. That S&B isn't know to be that good. Try some Hornady American Gunner 140 BTHP for less expensive ammo that will shoot well. If you wanted to spend some more then the 140 ELDs would be a good choice.

And yup it is fun and addicting. Shoot your set up and learn the sport for a while before thinking you have to upgrade anything.
View Quote

Yeah, I thought I'd start with the S&B because I bought quite a bit of it. But I also have 200 rounds of Hornady 140gr ELD match I haven't tried yet. Should I switch to that maybe?  I also have some Federa; American Eagle 123gr match too. I don't intend to upgrade anything else for now. I really like the rifle and scope so far.  As I mentioned, I really feel like my biggest issue is that I need to just use it and get even more comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Genin:
You might want to investigate snipershide for lots and LOTS of information about precision rifle shooting.
View Quote

Yeah I just signed up there recently.  Great info!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Enjoy the addiction!!

I’d suggest trying Hornady 140eld, Hornady american gunner 140’s and Federal Gold Medal 130’s or other match ammo (Berger/Prime). They should do much better than the S&B.

Also, you may want to space out your rings differently. Sometimes you can bind up the parallax or erector by having the rings directly adjacent to the turret.
View Quote

Good point and I was thinking the same thing.  Parallax seems to be ok but I don't like that it is mounted that close to turret either and besides, I also want to re-zero it at 100 yd anyway. I originally did it at 25 out of convenience.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Consider this a free LR lesson.

MOA, or minute of angle, is a method of measuring an angle. In shooting terms, an MOA is a cone where the tip of the cone begins at the muzzle and the base of the cone extends from there. MOA is generally discussed at known distances, ergo 1 MOA is a touch over 1 inch in diamter at 100 yards.

1 MOA at 200 yards however is 2 inches in diameter, as the the farther that cone extendes, the wider the base gets.
1 MOA at 25 yards would be 1/4 of the diamter of an MOA at 100 yards, that is to say the diameter of the cone at 25y would be 1/4in.
At 50 yards the base of that cone is 1/2 the diameter that it would be at 100y, or 1 MOA is equal to .5in @ 50 yards.

So a 1in group at 50 yards would be 2 MOA. A 1in group at 25y would be 4 MOA.
View Quote

Well said
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top