Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2018 2:17:39 PM EDT
I am not super new to reloading but I am newer to precision reloading.    I shoot a 6.5 creedmoor.  My load right now is 41.5 grains of reloader 17 shooting a 140 grain nosler custom comp.   I thought you were supposed to crimp your bullets I have always used the lee factory crip die and have had groups sub moa out to 600 yards. I “learned” that for accuracy you should not crimp your rounds.   So I did not and watched my groupings go to crap.  8-14+ at 300 and missing target at 600.  Why would not crimping make things worse when everyone says not crimping makes better accuracy??
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, if I had a load that worked that well for me I would ignore input from others
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What type dies are you using?

Do you have consistent neck tension?

Have you checked case necks and loaded rounds for run out?

When I was precision loading for 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, I was using dies with neck bushings and a mandrel expander.

I never crimped and could consistently get sub moa handloads.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, I'd suspect something in your existing neck tension not being optimal.  I don't crimp my precision 6.5C ammo for either bolt rifle or AR10, but I do pay attention to measuring neck size for neck tension after resizing.

I use a bushing die for my long range 6.5C bolt rifle along with specific bullet seating depth.  I full length size for my bolt hunting rifle and AR10 and load to SAAMI dimensions.

Your description of your problem here could have all kinds of variables at play.  Is this a bolt or semiauto?  What kind of die set are you using?  Are you using the same specific brand/type brass through you entire run?  And there are other possibilities.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Crimp adds resistance. Removing that changed the bullet's release time and likely slightly changed the pressure curve.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Crimping affects neck tension and thus a consistent release of the bullet.
Which in turn affects the accuracy potential of the round.
Then if you do not have consistent brass length then the crimp would have varying tension with each shot.

Personally I have never crimped target ammo and that includes ammo fired from various platforms
Mini 14
AR
HK 93 and 91
M1 Garand
M1A

And
Rem 700/Clone Actions
Savage Actions

People sometimes use crimping to overcome that their brass has been overworked.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My rifle is a rem 700. Only upgrades are a bc stock and a timney trigger.
My dies are Lee dies and I use the lee factory crimp die.
I am pretty careful with case trimming.

I am guessing that it has to do with pressure difference between the crimped and non crimped rounds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
OP how tight is your neck tension? and how many reloads since annealing the brass? to give you an idea, on my 300rum I anneal brass twice per reload, once before initial sizing with a shoulder bump  die and a neck bushing die, then trim to length and anneal again before running it over a mandrel die for final sizing before loading...time consuming, but works for my long range loads....I set neck tension right at .002" under bore diameter...some use .003-4" under bore diameter....
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Think of it this way.

Case #1 length.  2.008

Case #2 length.  2.004

Case #3 length.  2.010

If you set up your brass to crimp on a case like #3, #1 and 2 won't get as much crimp and their pressures will be lower.

If you were to set it up to crimp on #2, #1 and 3 will get a lot more crimp.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
So I understand the case length of iou are taper crimping.   But doesn’t the lee factory crimp die mitigate that problem to a point??
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:52:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#10]
Do not crimp your bullets for a bolt action.  There is zero reason to, and it will not help accuracy.  I've seen some test done on this were crimping improved ES/SD, but did hurt group size.  You are imparting stress on the bullet, and the bullet doesn't have a cannelure.  Anyone shooting competitively is not crimping their bullets.  It is not a best practice for this type of shooting.  I have never heard anyone ever say crimping produces better accuracy.  Consistent neck tension and powder charges make for better accuracy, things like annealing and not over working brass are conducive to that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By schleutj:
I am not super new to reloading but I am newer to precision reloading.    I shoot a 6.5 creedmoor.  My load right now is 41.5 grains of reloader 17 shooting a 140 grain nosler custom comp.   I thought you were supposed to crimp your bullets I have always used the lee factory crip die and have had groups sub moa out to 600 yards. I “learned” that for accuracy you should not crimp your rounds.   So I did not and watched my groupings go to crap.  8-14+ at 300 and missing target at 600.  Why would not crimping make things worse when everyone says not crimping makes better accuracy??
View Quote
As someone else said, the crimp changes the pressure curve.
A non-crimped bullet releases earlier and the rise of the pressure is slightly slower.
This can move the load out of an accuracy node and into a inaccuracy node.

Adding a crimp to a loading that has been dialed in can do similar.

Think of a crimp as one of those things that if you change, you get to rework the load up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

A non-crimped bullet releases earlier and the rise of the pressure is slightly slower.

Think of a crimp as one of those things that if you change, you get to rework the load up.
View Quote
I understand and agree that I think this is what is happening.   I don’t have enough R17 left to rework the load so I am just going to crimp for the rest of the powder.  I will work up a new lid with out crimping when I open my jug of h4350.  Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

View Quote
I'll echo this and also I think you're on the very low end of the pressure curve already. 41.5 of h4350 is very mild, rl17 is slower yet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#14]
“He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.” --Gandalf the Grey--

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Don't mess with success.

(For someone with my nom de guerre, I thought it best to lead with the Tolkien quote.  )
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Ever get a load worked up for your 223 remage?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PFC_Kramer:
Ever get a load worked up for your 223 remage?
View Quote
Yes. I did.  I am currently running 21.8 grains of ARcomp with an 80 grain Nosler custom comp.  can hold a 1” or less 5 shot group at 300 yards if I do my part.  Have had it to the 600 yard range 1 time.  It was miserably hot    I managed to hold about moa there.  Been pretty happy with it!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top