Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2019 9:24:04 PM EDT
I want a .308 to use for hunting and target shooting, kind of a 0-800 yard gun. I want to keep it compact and moderately light weight so it’s maneuverable and easy to carry. I know I want a 16” .308, with a ~3-20x scope (3-15, 4-16, something like that).

What are my options?
Larue predatOBR? LMT MWS? Ultimate upper kit? Build a Centurion arms mk11 receiver set? Something other than an AR10 pattern? I don’t have KAC money unfortunately.

What would you get?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you dead set on a semi?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
larue tobr or uu kit either will serve you well. I know this because I have a few of them myself and have made hits at 1k with my 18" obr
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
DPMS G2 for low end
Larue UU or SR25 if money is no object
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
Are you dead set on a semi?
View Quote
I am, I’m already working on a 6.5cm bolt gun. I want something with fast follow up shot capabilities for this gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlimBlundt] [#5]
POF P308. I’ve owned like 8 of them. Currently own 3. Have killed 2 deer if I Remember correctly. Might make it 3 this year. It’s SUPER fun to roll a running deer with a combat rifle.

ETA: don’t buy a new one, find a used Gen4. Ive found them for as little as $1000 but the going rate is about $1400. Very accurate and tough as nails. If you find one with a fluted barrel it’ll weigh 8oz less than the non-fluted version. Either one is easily under 9lbs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#6]
tOBR all everyday and twice on Sunday.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
That’s a beautiful gun! Do you know how much it weighs with the scope and all? How often do you use the takedown feature, and what do you think about the accessory attachment method vs something like mlok? I’m thinking hard about a tOBR or the UU kit, if the UU ever gets made in mlok.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -Time-:

That’s a beautiful gun! Do you know how much it weighs with the scope and all? How often do you use the takedown feature, and what do you think about the accessory attachment method vs something like mlok? I’m thinking hard about a tOBR or the UU kit, if the UU ever gets made in mlok.
View Quote
Don’t hold me to this but 13.5# w/o mag is what comes to my brain.

I prefer the LT method over MLOK or key mod right now.  You’re probably already going to mostly use key mod/mlok to put a chunk of rail on so why not use a method that’s been around hundreds of years to attach it (screws)? I find key mod finicky to use and mlok well supported but also finicky and I already have rail stuff and NV/lights/tripods primarily mount to rail.  I also like LT QD mounts way better than key mod or mlok. If you want it light then yeah other methods are going to be a lot lighter but sometimes you loose too much rigidity. So I really like the tOBR HG as is. Another thing the UU has going for it, it is dirt cheap. So cheap it’s crushed the used LT market so just something to consider.

I don’t use the takedown much on the heavy, little bro on the other hand...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:28:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#9]
Colt CM762 (not the 901).
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The tOBR would be my 1st choice.  Since I already have 1, I'd get the UU kit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]
For close ranges I'm loving my Tavor 7. For longer ranges KAC SR25 or some kind of AR10 style rifle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:34:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#12]
Very happy with my OBR, but I feel like the UU kit is the better buy. It’s almost as good and half the cost. Also, I’m very happy with my MWS, and if you plan on getting different barrel lengths and large frame calibers it quickly starts saving money since you can just swap barrels out with a torque wrench. I picked up my MWS and within a month had my second barrel, and I plan on a couple more. They’re as high quality as they are addicting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
Very happy with my OBR, but I feel like the UU kit is the better buy. It’s almost as good and half the cost. Also, I’m very happy with my MWS, and if you plan on getting different barrel lengths and large frame calibers it quickly starts saving money since you can just swap barrels out with a torque wrench. I picked up my MWS and within a month had my second barrel, and I plan on a couple more. They’re as high quality as they are addicting.
View Quote
I think this is ultimately where I’m at. I’d like a tOBR but it and the mws are about at the end of my budget for just the gun. SLR also does an ambi bolt release 308 lower that I think would be really nice paired to the UU kit,

What’s the MWS barrel swap like? It’s a piston gun right? So do you buy a barrel kit with a new piston and stuff or swap the piston and stuff over?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I want a .308 to use for hunting and target shooting, kind of a 0-800 yard gun. I want to keep it compact and moderately light weight so it’s maneuverable and easy to carry. I know I want a 16” .308, with a ~3-20x scope (3-15, 4-16, something like that).

What are my options?
Larue predatOBR? LMT MWS? Ultimate upper kit? Build a Centurion arms mk11 receiver set? Something other than an AR10 pattern? I don’t have KAC money unfortunately.

What would you get?
View Quote
I have a set-up very similar to what you're looking for. I found that most of the factory guns I was looking at always lacked something I wanted and/or had some parts that I didn't so I ended up doing my own. Right now the one in the pic below has a Mega Maten barrel I bought several years ago. The barrel is a bit heavier than I would like, but it's capable of 1/2" groups with 168 SMK's so I keep it around for now. Once this one loses accuracy I'll probably replace it with a Criterion barrel, and hope that it likes the 175 grain bullets better than the Mega barrel does.

Attachment Attached File

CMT receiver set
Mega Maten 16" 308 Win barrel
SLR Rifleworks ION Lite 15" handguard
SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block
Geissele SSA-E trigger
JP Enterprises FMOS BCG
Vortex PST Gen2 3-15
Geissele Super Precision mount
Harris 6-9 Bipod w/Arisaka Low Profile bipod mount
Surefire SOCOM muzzle brake
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The LMT MWS just uses a locking screw and washer for the barrels. It’s also a DI System. Just unscrew the 2 screws on the right side of the chassis insert the barrel and re-screw with a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JCap:
The LMT MWS just uses a locking screw and washer for the barrels. It’s also a DI System. Just unscrew the 2 screws on the right side of the chassis insert the barrel and re-screw with a torque wrench.
View Quote
Seems like a lot of work compared to a tOBR
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]

I think this is ultimately where I’m at. I’d like a tOBR but it and the mws are about at the end of my budget for just the gun. SLR also does an ambi bolt release 308 lower that I think would be really nice paired to the UU kit,

What’s the MWS barrel swap like? It’s a piston gun right? So do you buy a barrel kit with a new piston and stuff or swap the piston and stuff over?
View Quote
It’s a DI. Unscrew two barrel screws, pull the barrel, slide in new barrel, torque the two screws back. Takes about as long as it took to read this. All you need is the barrel assembly and torque wrench (one is provided with the LMT). The barrels are repeatable when pulled and reattached, or at least they are as near as I can tell.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]

What are my options?

What would you get?
View Quote
I went with a SCAR-17 with a Leupold Mk6 3-18, basically built is for exactly as you described. Worked great for that role, but it's obviously spendy. I've since replaced it with Grendel stuff though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#19]
@-Time-

Build your own with LaRue kit (and add the LT lower on the order) for about $1500.

I made a tAR profile 16” 308. It’s accurate and lightweight at 7.7lbs. It’s a medium weight barrel.

It uses m110/pmags, a normal DI gas system, AR stock grips and so on. Best part is MBT or normal AR15 trigger. No super expensive scar17 trigger. Scar17 tend to start at $3k for the gun with another $2k in parts to get it how ya want it.

Scar17=8lbs
tAR=7.7lbs

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/configure-7-62mm-sniper-system/249747

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By UnknownPatriot:
@-Time-

Build your own with LaRue kit (and add the LT lower on the order) for about $1500.

I made a tAR profile 16” 308. It’s accurate and lightweight at 7.7lbs. It’s a medium weight barrel.

It uses m110/pmags, a normal DI gas system, AR stock grips and so on. Best part is MBT or normal AR15 trigger. No super expensive scar17 trigger. Scar17 tend to start at $3k for the gun with another $2k in parts to get it how ya want it.

Scar17=8lbs
tAR=7.7lbs

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/configure-7-62mm-sniper-system/249747

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/B77C6017-98F1-4125-AC32-E56C93B53F9A_jpeg-1146596.JPG
View Quote
The tOBR I think is my first choice if I decide to drop the money for it. The UU kit would obviously be my budget option, but god only knows when the mlok kits will be available, and there seems to be a little slow getting out.

Im still pondering a parts gun, I could use a a urx 3.1 to match my sbr and spr. I’d like an ambi lower like the SLR, but I want it in the slant cut sr25 pattern which doesn’t seem to exist. What barrels should I be looking at? I want a fairly light weight profile, but not pencil or too thin.SLR for the gas block? The switch gas block on the tOBR would be my preferred setup, but I don’t know if there’s any aftermarket options for that that’ll actually work well. At least I know whatever gun it is will have an MBT
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd love to have a POF Revolution DI for a lightweight 308 semi but they are out of my price range.
Instead, I modified a DPMS GII Recon and its 7.2lbs without optic, suppressor or bipod.
Factory match ammo gives 1.25 to 1.6 moa so far but I'm still getting used to it and trying different loads.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#22]
AR-10B, just because that's what I already have.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#23]
PWS MK116

There's a great thread on it here somewhere, that's actually what convinced me to go with a 16" instead of another 18 or 20"
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#24]
LaRue UU. Shot it with the Tranquilo for the first time yesterday and was reminded how much the rifle makes me look good.

Confirmed zero with FGMM 168 gr in the middle, then spun the can on and saw a 2 MOA shift pretty much straight down. The four corners were me messing around with holdovers vs. dialing the correction before my fingers got numb and I called it a day.

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#25]
SCAR 17s would be my vote. I've had a few 308 semi-auto rifles, and it by far is the best and checks all the boxes for a do-it all rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got 2 16" .308 guns

The most capable is the Larue OBR with the ability to swap between a Nightforce or Aimpoint in Larue mounts for what I wanna do with the gun

I also have a Remington PSS with Badger bottom metal, HS Precision stock, cut to 16" with a Surefire comp and a Trijicon accupoint optic

medium to light gun that is very compact
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I have no need for a .308 AR, but I still wish I'd gotten in on the OBR pre-order.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By eracer:
I have no need for a .308 AR, but I still wish I'd gotten in on the OBR pre-order.
View Quote
Yep, I'm still glad I did.

On the last day before the price jump, no less.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EarlB] [#30]
This one is mine.  There are not many like it.  I'm very happy to finally own one.  It's a UU kit on a complete Larue lower.  This particular one is way too damn heavy to hunt with but is outfit for precision long range shooting.  To be fair though it would be easy enough to pop off the 5-25x50 and bipod and put on a better hunting scope and have a lighter setup.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top