Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Pic of me on a dog walk a few weeks ago with guns762. I have been talking with some of my buddies who run the precision rifle competitions and am thinking of updating my kit. I want to mix the competition style gear I have been seeing with the more field appropriate set up for what we do ( Hunting and camping ). I got some hands on with a few of the eberlestock gunslinger 2 packs and the mystery ranch overload packs and haven't decided but one of those two will be my pick for 2017 for sure. Going to update some gear this year and will have to add to this forum.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like my Overload for use around the area, especially how solid it is with out a weapon inside of it and its more or less equally as solid with a weapon in it. I will admit that I haven't used any of Eberlestock's recent packs.

While I love the crap out of the Overload for hauling a weapon, I did recently add a TT-Nisqually to my pile of rucks for when the need arises for more volume. It may very well replace my LBT-2657 for this role. Personally I still like external framed rucks for use in the winter as the offset from your back allows more space for moisture to evaporate, keeping me more comfortable. This extra space for moisture management becomes very necessary on multi-day back country ski trips IMHO. The extra space for air movement also helps reducing heat stress in the warmer months as well. The down side to these two rucks is no solid option for weapon storage short of something like the Kifaru Gun Bearer, but I'm tossing around building a gun sleeve that has a small MOLLE section to attach externally on these rucks and at the same time provide some dust protection to a long gun.

Dustin send me a message if you want to see any of these rucks
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Bump
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Placeholder.

I was in the process of setting up a 'patrol pack' but I think making a Marksman Sustainment Pack is more appealing.

Will be using a MOLLE II woodland ruck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
totally forgot about this post.. I will have to update this with the 2018 set up I guess. Seems the Field craft section has been pretty slow going for over a year I wonder how we can get more interest in this forum.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
totally forgot about this post.. I will have to update this with the 2018 set up I guess. Seems the Field craft section has been pretty slow going for over a year I wonder how we can get more interest in this forum.
View Quote
I second this. I'd like to update my posts as well, but we do need more interest.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Some more recent photos of my packs out in the wild.

Pretty sure this was the trip where we were reminded why a cleaning rod was a necessity in our packs.

When your rifle is down.....with a stuck case, no cleaning rod in your pack, and all you have is a G19, and buddies who won't let you drop out of a game of PIG.

If it's not on my back, the most common use for my packs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Good stuff here.  I will add one thing from experience and didn't see or skimmed over it, is a dedicated pair of sleeping socks.  I got a pair of the most fuzzy faggotized green socks I could find and kept them in my sleeping bag.  Nothing beats sucking somewhere and unrolling your bag for some sweet z's and seeing a nice warm pair of dry socks to slip your aching feet in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chR15:
Good stuff here.  I will add one thing from experience and didn't see or skimmed over it, is a dedicated pair of sleeping socks.  I got a pair of the most fuzzy faggotized green socks I could find and kept them in my sleeping bag.  Nothing beats sucking somewhere and unrolling your bag for some sweet z's and seeing a nice warm pair of dry socks to slip your aching feet in.
View Quote
I'm the opposite: I hate sleeping with socks on. I don't care if my feet are cold, and they get a better chance to dry while I sleep. Now, a warm watch cap is a must for me. I always carry foot powder, too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got several day packs and a medium ruck but recently been giving serious thought to either the Eberlestock gunslinger 2 or G4 Operator. And even possibly the Mystery Ranch overload.

Anyone got experiance with one or more of these that can give me some solid feedback on them?
the main thing I'm looking for is being able to carry one of my precision rifles while I carry my SBR and have a place to fit all my field gear.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
View Quote
Exposure. I surfed this site for several years before I even found this sub-forum. Working on a pack now to post in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves in my opinion. I've looked through it many many times and I'm finally get serious about peripheral equipment outside of just guns so I'll post a picture from my hike today to. Bump this thread up and motivate me to finish up my contents and post pictures and lists in the near future.

Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 pack and my Remington 700 in 300 win mag. I hiked nearly 5 miles with it today and finished up back at my range on the farm, took two shots at an 8" steel gong from 400, both hits. I'm building this pack up to go hunting out west next year.

Dope card, water and sig kilo 2200mr certainly help out with first round hits.

Thanks to all you guys that have shared your gear and helped me come up with mine, I look forward to sharing a more detailed list soon.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sovaprepper:
This thread doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves in my opinion. I've looked through it many many times and I'm finally get serious about peripheral equipment outside of just guns so I'll post a picture from my hike today to. Bump this thread up and motivate me to finish up my contents and post pictures and lists in the near future.

Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 pack and my Remington 700 in 300 win mag. I hiked nearly 5 miles with it today and finished up back at my range on the farm, took two shots at an 8" steel gong from 400, both hits. I'm building this pack up to go hunting out west next year.

https://i.imgur.com/BanVufQ.jpg

Dope card, water and sig kilo 2200mr certainly help out with first round hits.
https://i.imgur.com/mpILOqx.jpg

Thanks to all you guys that have shared your gear and helped me come up with mine, I look forward to sharing a more detailed list soon.
View Quote
That's awesome. I'd like your feedback on both the pack and the Sig scope please.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
That's awesome. I'd like your feedback on both the pack and the Sig scope please.
View Quote
For sure, i got the scope brand new for less than 800$, I could find very little about these optics and decided to take the gamble. The glass is very clear, after owning a couple vortex viper PSTs and a gen I vortex razor I can say it's between them, not quite as good as the razor but better than a pst. The magnification and focus rings are smooth and set to a good tension level where they move when you want them to. This scope has been through a PRS match and has a couple hunts under its belt and a little under 300 rounds at the range, it has held up great so far so I think the ruggedness is good but it's still a little early to say that with 100% confidence but so far so good. I have shot this scope from 100-1100 yards and it has tracked and returned to zero with no issues. One big attribute it has, the one that sold me on it over a vortex or burris and other scopes in its general price range is it's locking turrets, a great feature that every exposed turret scope should have IMHO.

Now that I've been over all the good things I'll share my two complaints. The clicks are a little mushy not super crisp and snappy but since it tracks right I can forgive that but sig could improve here. My second gripe is that it didn't come with a sunshade and sig doesn't have them separately, that sucks, but the end of the objective is threaded so it may accept another brand in just not sure if there is an industry standard for the thread pitch on scope objectives or if they are all different.

As for the pack, I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, maybe 40-50 so far but it is a very well designed pack and has a lot of features and quality packed into it for the price point. It has plenty of room for 5-7 days in moderate climate, the pack separates from the frame for meat or other odd loads, it has a weapons carrier and is very well constructed, I will go into more detail in the pack when I do the bag dump and contents list and will add more photos of the different pockets, straps, frame etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]

For sure, i got the scope brand new for less than 800$, I could find very little about these optics and decided to take the gamble. The glass is very clear, after owning a couple vortex viper PSTs and a gen I vortex razor I can say it's between them, not quite as good as the razor but better than a pst. The magnification and focus rings are smooth and set to a good tension level where they move when you want them to. This scope has been through a PRS match and has a couple hunts under its belt and a little under 300 rounds at the range, it has held up great so far so I think the ruggedness is good but it's still a little early to say that with 100% confidence but so far so good. I have shot this scope from 100-1100 yards and it has tracked and returned to zero with no issues. One big attribute it has, the one that sold me on it over a vortex or burris and other scopes in its general price range is it's locking turrets, a great feature that every exposed turret scope should have IMHO.

Now that I've been over all the good things I'll share my two complaints. The clicks are a little mushy not super crisp and snappy but since it tracks right I can forgive that but sig could improve here. My second gripe is that it didn't come with a sunshade and sig doesn't have them separately, that sucks, but the end of the objective is threaded so it may accept another brand in just not sure if there is an industry standard for the thread pitch on scope objectives or if they are all different.

As for the pack, I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, maybe 40-50 so far but it is a very well designed pack and has a lot of features and quality packed into it for the price point. It has plenty of room for 5-7 days in moderate climate, the pack separates from the frame for meat or other odd loads, it has a weapons carrier and is very well constructed, I will go into more detail in the pack when I do the bag dump and contents list and will add more photos of the different pockets, straps, frame etc.
View Quote
Thanks for that.. I looked at that pack a while back and may still get it
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:12:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pav56C] [#18]
Not a pack, that will be next.

This is my precision rifle chest rig.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gobt9wNoFoTI9QCo2

Hope the link works.
Its a split front right to left I have:
7X4 padded pouch. I bought it for a set of binos, but they don't fit right, and I have a hard time getting them to focus, so Im looking to replace them with something that will fit in it, possibly monocular or small spotting scope.
Pouch w/ 2~ 10 round plastic cards of .308 FGMM (20 rounds)
Cheapo leatherman
2- 30 round AR mags currently loaded with just typical range ammo, but eventually will be replaced with match ammo, or I will replace with 2 .308 shingles.
Finally empty pouch for a pop flare. I dont have a pop flare, but was planning on putting in a short road/marine flare for signalling or starting fast fires.

Id like to add more items, eventually Id like a range finder, in time I guess.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm working on a pack and I'm about 90% complete, just gotta add a few odds and ends. Im basing my back off of Long Range Recon packs, and using a Molle 2. Mostly consisted of items for long term field hiking/camping stuff.

I want to modify the pack a bit to allow me to mount a 308 (I have both a bolt and gas gun), similar to eberle stock pack.

My current plan is to some how mount a Molle dump pouch on the bottom of the back of the pack. Rifle butt would go inside the bag and it would be cinched, and the rifle run verticle between the back and the frame.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By lew:
I'm the opposite: I hate sleeping with socks on. I don't care if my feet are cold, and they get a better chance to dry while I sleep. Now, a warm watch cap is a must for me. I always carry foot powder, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:
Originally Posted By chR15:
Having toasty feeties in cold weather made me a happy camper.  The socks I use are wool and I don't recall having sweaty feet when I woke up.  A watch cap went and still goes EVERYWHERE with me in the colder months, must be the baldness...  I still have all my issue ones plus some extras, love those things. And bump.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Yawn, any body change up their rucks?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe I'll do mine soon, but I'm already behind on the tracking thread I started due to farm work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I totally forgot about these post haha I see not much has happened in a year. I have changed up my gear a bunch I will have to figure out how to get some new pics posted. Hunting season is coming up and I am excited to try out some new gear. Hope everyone has been working out and getting ready..
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Bumping this
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#27]
time for a bump
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:28:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#29]
Originally Posted By guns762:
I just went through my packs again last Sat.  I wanted to update the contents a bit, lesson the weight , and update my med supplies.

I forgot about this thread.

I'll try to remember to make a note of my revisions this coming week when I'm on vacation.  
View Quote
Being a recon guy I would agree.

Short range/duration recon.
Enough ammo to get out of a fight
Optics/batteries for observing
Water/snack
Small 1 or 2 person size camo net.
Knife for field craft.
Admin stuff

Long range/duration recon
The same but with more sustainment.

Bugout bag is completely different contents more sustainment and survival gear.

My OP bag. 6 extra rifle mags or 3 Smokes on the top
Big enough for water bladder, radio, hand mic, antenna(or optics), batteries, stripped down mre, admin stuff (map markers, pens, paper, maps, etc), head lamp, gps, 550 cord and camo net. Sometimes I’ll add other pouches depending on the mission.

Sorry that’s the only pic I have of it.
Attachment Attached File

Edit: Also something to think about. If you’re working in a team one guy can carry the sleeping bag, poncho, one guy can carry the radio, and one guy carries the observation equipment. Break the weight up. You don’t need a bunch of redundancies.

Being effective doesn’t always mean comfortable. So dump the comfort gear to save weight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I just went through my packs again last Sat.  I wanted to update the contents a bit, lesson the weight , and update my med supplies.

I forgot about this thread.

I'll try to remember to make a note of my revisions this coming week when I'm on vacation.  
View Quote
Forgive my ignorance, but it seems like you’ve packed a BOB and just put more gun stuff in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#31]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Placeholder and bump back from the edge of oblivion.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I really need to get my act together on getting my bag together and using it
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Putting mine together now.

What's everyone's thoughts on binos vs a spotting scope?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
Putting mine together now.

What's everyone's thoughts on binos vs a spotting scope?
View Quote

In my experience, spotting scopes are great for the range or a fixed/semi-fixed location. If I'm in the field, I want binoculars, my rifle's scope, and my spotter using a rifle scope.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Mission drives the gear.

My binoculars are always in the pack. The spotter goes in it when I either have a second person or I feel the extra magnification or stability may be needed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 6:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pointman91] [#38]
enjoy looking at others gear list. As I've gotten older ( and hopefully wiser) I've pared down what I take to what is necessary to ....

Maintain core temperature.
Stay hydrated
Stay fueled.
Treat injuries
Be able to get some rest.
Support the weapon system carried.

Living in the field isn't usually comfortable, just have to get use to it and as more time is spent outdoors , the more tolerable it becomes. I'd rather travel further and faster rather than carry creature comforts that make the little time spent " in camp" better.

With this in mind , this is my "go pack". It is used with my group for hiking, camping and shooting. Mission and weather specific items may be added but the core essentials stay the same.

On person-
Lightweight, wicking, undershirt and bicycle type shorts ( no chaff !). Wool socks year round. 511 or similar cargo pants. Long sleeve shirt in appropriate color or camo pattern for the environment and season. Headwear varies. Boots or trail runners. Liking trail runners but need to find gaiters.

Gear carried on person-

Pistol in holster on belt.
Blow out kit in right cargo pocket-
  4inch izzy bandage
   Traumatic bandage
   2 roller gauzes
   Nitrile gloves
   C.A.T.
Left cargo pocket left empty as a dump pouch.
Folding knife clipped in front right trouser pocket.
Waterproof " field wallet" in left front shirt pocket. ( DL,CHL,CC, INS card, cash and Swiss Card, 2 alcohol wipes for fire starting and mini Ferro rod, aquimira tabs).
Cell phone in plastic baggie in right front shirt pocket, lots of good apps, maps and PDFs downloaded plus comms, weather etc when in range.
Small compass on break away cord  around neck.( sometimes wrist compass)
Watch.

Chest Rig-several to choose from but for 5.56mm weapons I use a Mayflower UW gen IV. It's lightweight & comfortable and usually carries-

Four 30 rd. 5.56 magazines
Two 9mm magazines
Laser rangefinder ( also use as monocular)
Better Compass
Kravat ( same multifunction use as a bandanna)
Gerber l.e.d.light, AA lithium w/ hat clip.
Mylar emergency blanket
Large garbage bag (em. shelter or rain gear )
Mini signal mirror
Mini aluminum whistle
Mini bic lighter, with tape around it.
Small bottle CLP.
Water bag, folded.
Booboo kit- pain meds, Steri Strips and tape etc.
Spare batteries for lights and optics, 123Ax3, 2032x1,AAx1.

Pack- several to choose from but usually I carry an ILBE assault pack. Not the most comfortable pack owned but the 1500 c.i. capacity is ideal for 2-3 days ,and it's built tough.

Pack Contents-

Sleep/Shelter-
CCF pad (O.D.) cinched to side.Cut short.
USGI poncho. Woodland pattern.( Also rain gear)
USGI poncho liner
20 ft paracord ( ridgeline)
4- 18inch sections of bankline for tie outs.
4-aluminum stakes
Bungee cord

Clothes
Spare pair of wool socks
USGI field jacket liner, great piece of gear.
Combination facemask/ beanie
Wool gloves

Water
Camelbak 100oz bladder.
23oz Smart water bottle
Sawyer mini filter
1L Platypus pouch with hanging cord.
(This combo gives numerous ways to filter)

Food
Mostly no cook food like gorp, granola bars, pouch chicken and tuna, crackers, nuts, dried fruit, PB etc.
USGI Canteen cup. Aluminum foil lid.
Titanium esbit stove and fuel tabs for dry soups in cold wx.
Plastic spoon.

WPN maintenance kit
USGI sectional cleaning rod with tip.
AP brush
Chamber brush
Ruptured Cartridge Extractor
Patches
Allen/torx wrenches for scope mounts etc.
Spare extractor assy, & FPRP

Misc.
Rear bag- homemade, lightweight
Baggie with personal meds and vitamins.
Mosquito head net
Sm bottle 100% DEET
Flat pack Gorilla Tape
2 safety pins
2 zip ties
2 Rubber bands
Sparklite kit
Rite in the Rain notebook.
Dope cards
2 stubby pencils.
1 gallon and 1 quart baggies.

Add on's ( weather / mission dependant)
Bivi tent
Extra clothes
Sleeping bag
Folding Solar panel
Perimeter alarm kit
Bump helmet
Plate carrier
More loaded magazines
Binoculars ( small or large)
Spotting scope
BK9 ( machete)
E-Tool
Camo netting
2M HT radio
Mini AM/FM radio
Various molle pouches to attach & carry above items.

Looks like a lot typed out but every little thing is listed and many of these items are tiny and 1/10 oz or less. Also considerable effort was made to choose the lightest options and trim excess material when applicable to reduce weight. Redundancy only where critical...
Fire (bic, mini Ferro rod, sparklite)
Water -(filter,treat, boil)
Shelter -( poncho, trash bag, Mylar sheet)
Navigation-(big &small compass, phone)
Weapon-(rifle & pistol)

This is what works for me in my A.O., as always JMHO & YMMV.

Attachment Attached File

Edit for typo.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Austindb95] [#39]
Just throwing a different perspective into the mix.

I am military but I also volunteer for local SAR. For SAR I have to have a 24-48 hr pack.

https://prnt.sc/vlq73e

This does not include water weight and clothing on person also is not counted, gear on person is though. I put this chart together to track my gear and its weight. On other pages I track medical expiration dates and other stuff, I even track weight of gear not in the bag incase I want to see what it would look like to swap stuff around. I figured a document with all this stuff would of been overkill but its really nice to be able to look at.

I added the "Shooting" section for the purpose of this thread and its not included in overall weight. But if i wanted to make a bag similar to what yall are shooting for id remove everything in red and add the shooting gear.

I could cut weight by using a poncho vs a tarp and full gortex but a problem I had with the poncho was I could not remain waterproof and keep my shelter up. and the gortex goes alot farther to keeping you dry. I find staying dry and keeping shelter built is worth the 4 lbs. I want a lighter/small sleep system but that is so hard and every oz saved equal hundreds of dollars spent it seems. Clothing/Sleep system is so much weight and bulk that I just cant find ways to cut without making HUGE sacrifices.

I kinda worry people under estimate the bitch that is hyperthermia, and how easy it can kill you even in 60 degree weather.

Feel free to let me know if their is anything you think isn't worth its weight! I though it would be fun to add a different perspective with the same goal into the mix! I can also add pic maybe tomorrow if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Recently started throwing a modern version of the WWII musette bag in the back seat of the truck as a minimalist go bag. Using this with a G3K clone, but I want to work out a chest rig to run a bolt gun that I can pair with it like I have the chest rig for the G3s and ARs. I wanted something that was going to support 2 or 3 days on a very minimal basis but was smaller than a 3 day pack.
The pack and chest rig-

The pack has a Grayl filter bottle, a Camelbak, and some puritabs for water. I've got three or four Mountain House meals and some Larabars for food. I've got a Jetboil burner, fuel canister, and titanium cup and spoon for heating water. For shelter there's a tarp, pins, and cord in the main pocket against the back, and I've also got a poncho that folds over the top of the bag under the flap to help keep rain out and then a Swagman roll in the compression sack on the bottom in the bungees. May ditch the tarp and just use the poncho. Also have some hygiene/booboo items, wet wipes, topicals and OTCs. A Petzl headlamp and Streamlight AAA light along with spare batteries. Lensatic compass, nav aids, and wrist GPS. Lighter, matches, tinder, and ferro rod. Chemlights. Morakniv and 2 G3 mags on the outside, and I may add a suppressor pouch on the outside also.
For the G3, I've got a Haley heavy rig. That has the mags for the G3 and Glock, along with a cleaning kit, a small wrist compass, a handheld GPS, and a few other small items and some spare parts. Trauma gear is in the med pouch underneath. I've got similar Tactical Tailor and Haley rigs for ARs as well. Playing with a holster for the Glock in the rig but not sure about that yet.

The chest rig fits in a small duffle. In the duffle I also have a para smock, and then several items that I can put in the pockets like a Sawyer filter and bag, monocular, scarf, gloves, watch cap, ear and eye pro, small pocket trauma kit, bug spray and sunscreen. There's also two more mags that I can throw in the smock pockets if I want. I can then put the duffle under the pack in the back floorboard, or in the drawers in the back of the truck.
I plan to see how I like this, and then come up with how I can adapt this to my bolt guns. I may have to step up to a slightly larger pack for that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
Recently started throwing a modern version of the WWII musette bag in the back seat of the truck as a minimalist go bag. Using this with a G3K clone, but I want to work out a chest rig to run a bolt gun that I can pair with it like I have the chest rig for the G3s and ARs. I wanted something that was going to support 2 or 3 days on a very minimal basis but was smaller than a 3 day pack.
The pack and chest rig-
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_8001_JPG-1743680.jpg
The pack has a Grayl filter bottle, a Camelbak, and some puritabs for water. I've got three or four Mountain House meals and some Larabars for food. I've got a Jetboil burner, fuel canister, and titanium cup and spoon for heating water. For shelter there's a tarp, pins, and cord in the main pocket against the back, and I've also got a poncho that folds over the top of the bag under the flap to help keep rain out and then a Swagman roll in the compression sack on the bottom in the bungees. May ditch the tarp and just use the poncho. Also have some hygiene/booboo items, wet wipes, topicals and OTCs. A Petzl headlamp and Streamlight AAA light along with spare batteries. Lensatic compass, nav aids, and wrist GPS. Lighter, matches, tinder, and ferro rod. Chemlights. Morakniv and 2 G3 mags on the outside, and I may add a suppressor pouch on the outside also.
For the G3, I've got a Haley heavy rig. That has the mags for the G3 and Glock, along with a cleaning kit, a small wrist compass, a handheld GPS, and a few other small items and some spare parts. Trauma gear is in the med pouch underneath. I've got similar Tactical Tailor and Haley rigs for ARs as well. Playing with a holster for the Glock in the rig but not sure about that yet.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_7998_JPG-1743683.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_7997_JPG-1743685.jpg
The chest rig fits in a small duffle. In the duffle I also have a para smock, and then several items that I can put in the pockets like a Sawyer filter and bag, monocular, scarf, gloves, watch cap, ear and eye pro, small pocket trauma kit, bug spray and sunscreen. There's also two more mags that I can throw in the smock pockets if I want. I can then put the duffle under the pack in the back floorboard, or in the drawers in the back of the truck.
I plan to see how I like this, and then come up with how I can adapt this to my bolt guns. I may have to step up to a slightly larger pack for that.
View Quote

looks to be a very well thought out bag without a lot of extra weight. I am curious to know a little more about the rifle itself though, is it a PTR? Did you SBR it or have the flash hider permanently attached? what types of velocity & accuracy are you getting and with what ammo? Whats that sucker weight?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#42]

looks to be a very well thought out bag without a lot of extra weight. I am curious to know a little more about the rifle itself though, is it a PTR? Did you SBR it or have the flash hider permanently attached? what types of velocity & accuracy are you getting and with what ammo? Whats that sucker weight?
View Quote

Thanks. It started as a K3P that I F1'd, and put the SiCo ASR flash hider on. It wouldn't make 16" even with that permanently attached. Haven't run the chrono on it yet but accuracy is in line with a G3 of <3MOA with Winny M80, but admittedly with work schedule I haven't been able to really work on it. With the scope it's probably pushing 10 pounds or so. It's not a lightweight rifle.
ETA: I have a self-imposed size limit on the pack. I want it to fit in the drawer system of my truck. The Haley Flat Pack Plus fits, and a 5.11 Rush 12 fits. The musette bag fits, but I'm not sure I'm going to like how the poncho liner secures on the outside meaning I'm worried that it is not very well secured. I'm going to have to keep working with this and I may end up going back to something else with pretty much the same contents but a better way to secure the poncho liner.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:27:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bastogne101] [#43]
Ok, not great pictures, sorry.  Got too late in the day to take them outside.  

I weighed my "light" pack tonight.  just under 20lbs. No water included.
Loaded...

The contents

The rope is obviously easy to leave if we aren't going to be any where where it would be handy, but up in the mountains I've found it to be pretty handy.  Worth the weight?  Not every time.
The other stuff is fairly obvious.  

My theme for this pack is survival without support for three days, and support my precision rifle, probably more likely my DMR type AR15.
View Quote

Suggestions: I don’t see any land nav tools, or binoculars. And baby wipes are way better than TP in the field.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:09:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#46]
With all the snow we've been getting in the north east, I just added a set of snow shoes to my gear locker.

I like being able to move through anything.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#47]

Ditched the musette concept, too small and uncomfortable. Been playing with this setup. Much better fit. Still have a few small items to add. This works in conjunction with chest rig and belt rig.
Headlamp
Headlamp diffuser
Light
Chemlights
Compass
DBJ-2 antenna
Radio AA adapter tray
GPS
Mirror
Flash panel
Batteries AA, AAA, 123, 2032
Grayl bottle
Sawyer minifilter w/backflush
Sawyer water bags
Puritabs
Bladder
Jetboil Stash
Striker/steel
Lighter
750mL titanium cup
Windscreen
Ti spoon
Fuel tabs
Tinder
Ferro rod
Lighter
Matches
6x meals
Jerky
Coffee
Folding saw
550 cord
Tape
Binocs
Morakniv
Hennessy Hammock
2x snaplinks
4x rings
Slap straps
Swagman roll
Poncho, pins, paracord
Bandaids
Topicals
OTC meds
Toothpaste/brush
Toilet wipes
Body wipes
Foot powder
Hat
Jacket
Gloves
Shirt
Pants
Socks
Shorts
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Bump to keep this from dropping off. Putting my gear in a bigger pack and adding some stuff after snowmageddon lessons learned from last year, will update with pics soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#50]

I've been considering moving my gear away from a day pack style to a more dedicated backpack style with a better belly band, and internal frame.  I've got a pack I have set up for hunting that is much nicer to wear all day.
View Quote

Pretty close to what I’m doing; the old pack didn’t have the belt and to fit the shelter with some snivel gear I needed a little more room. I’m not going with an internal frame through.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top