Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2018 9:00:17 PM EDT
I don’t want to spend the big bucks on Alpha or Lapua brass.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
How much you looking for?
View Quote
I was thinking a matched lot of 300.

Do you know if 1x Lake City 308 brass would make good match grade brass?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Its not really expensive because you can load the lapua 20x. 200 pieces would probably get you through the useful life of the barrel.

I would mention to buy some of the creedmoor ammo. It goes on sale periodically and the 308 is loaded in lapua brass.

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C308CS167-100
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dezelrig:
I don’t want to spend the big bucks on Alpha or Lapua brass.
View Quote
I have loaded my 200 pieces of Lapua brass over 20 times. My barrel is in need of replacement and my brass is still good.
I am a little anal and anneal my brass after every loading but that is because I have an annealing rig that is automated.
It takes 35 minutes to anneal 200 pieces.

That puts the cost of my brass at $0.05 per loading.

For my M1A National Match I bought 1,000 pieces of LC Match once fired. Those get annealed after every loading also but they get tossed after 5 loadings since there is more stretch in a Semi Auto.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Regular lake city works perfectly fine. Buy a primer pocket swagging set for the first reload and it works fine for almost nothing. Lapua brass is great, but if you want nearly the same results for a tenth the price, buy some bulk DRMO’ed brass. Everything I shoot was shot through M240’s. Does just fine and I don’t cry if I lose some brass.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
buy a case of 168 smk ammo. 200 rds per case and save the brass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have some Federal Precision Match, once fired brass from bolt gun. Send me a message if you want it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with Hornady precision brass. Think I’m on the 5th or 6th reload. I did ask Hornady if there was any difference between regular and precision stamped brass. Was told no but I see a little difference. Have had Lapua 308 brass split necks after 5th reload on my bolt rifle. Lapua I consider the best though. I use it to do load development, then use Hornady precision for my loads.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Go with once-fired LC brass.... - you will need to swage primer pockets like someone already mentioned. Remember to start with less powder because LC brass is thicker compared to commercial brass and pressures will be higher with the same amount of powder compared to loading regular/commercial brass.

From my experience, depending how lucky you are.... some machine gun barrel chambers are pretty bad. You will have to use a bit of strength to full size some brass for the first time... after first shooting you will be fine with just neck sizing for your bolt rifle chamber
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 5-600 once fired Hornady Match .308. I'm going to sell them as I no longer reload. I can ship cheaply IF you can do without the individual boxes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can find M118LR brass that would probably not used in a MG.  But, M14 or bolt gun.
I will say that Lapua is the best, and I am north of 20 reloads on my brass.
Federal brass is soft and had no case life
Hornady Brass is not that good either.
Winchester Brass would be my second choice to Lapua.  Just detail prep the brass. You will not have the case life of Lapua but better than the other options

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Regular lake city works perfectly fine. Buy a primer pocket swagging set for the first reload and it works fine for almost nothing. Lapua brass is great, but if you want nearly the same results for a tenth the price, buy some bulk DRMO’ed brass. Everything I shoot was shot through M240’s. Does just fine and I don’t cry if I lose some brass.
View Quote

I have been doing this as well with 5.56 instead of high end brass.  Once the flash holes are reamed and weight sorted, I get same ES as I did with new brass and I don't chase every piece of brass now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

After pricing once fired FGMM brass, I just bought a case of FGMM ammo and will make my own 1x fired brass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Check with your local Police Department or Sheriff's Office SWAT team, as well as surrounding area agencies.

I've been collecting .308 FGMM and Hornady Match brass for years from SWAT training. I'm the only one who reloads, if not for me collecting the brass, it would end up in the trash can. When I attended Sniper school, lots of other shooters gave me their brass. Same with LC 5.56 brass, I've got a lot packed away.

Never hurts to ask around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top