Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2019 7:27:58 PM EDT
The specs on .308 indicate COAL should be 2.800.

I'm loading 175 gr SMK using a Lee press.

I measure the length of every cartridge with digital calipers.    My acceptance criteria is to be between 2.799 and 2.801.

Roughly  1 in 10, I'll get 2.797.   Got no idea why.

I set those aside and re-do them later.

What is your acceptance criteria +/- ??
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I am far more interested in finding the distance my bullet travels to reach the lands and making sure the coal allows the cartridge to feed and fit the magazine I'm using.  The measurements you are seeing could be variation in the bullets.  It is more common to measure the distance from the case head to the bullet ogive, that is most important.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a comparator and measure base to ogive. It’s more consistent than COAL because you’re not having to deal with irregularities with the meplats.
The differences in the meplats can account for a lot of variability. The other things that may be causing you variance is neck tension, powder volume (if compressed loads) and residual case lube, but the meplats are 100% variable.

Did I mention meplats?
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:46:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
+/- 0.007"
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Measure off the ogive OP, but you will likely still see more dimensional change than you think, I find this to be due to neck tension variances from case to case...I have my OAL's to under .0005" on my long range stuff...But it has been a lot of work getting there...
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
In my limited experience, once you get an average of 10 to load to spec, it's all variance in the bullet tip.

My 308 loads shoot great and COAL can easily vary +/- 4 thou.

I don't yet have the equipment to measure to ogive, but I'd guess it's within a thou.

They shoot great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input.

I had purchased the tools to measure the distance to the ogive, but I discovered my limiting factor is the magazine max length allowable: 2.800.

My rifle chamber base to ogive (measured with 10 bullets, each measured 3 times) is average = 2.156"

When my cartridge COAL is 2.800, the base to ogive of that cartridge is 2.140"

So theoretically (I think), I have a jump of 0.016.

I can't make cartridge any longer unless I start loading them by hand into the chamber.    Not gonna do that.

Thanks again for the input on measurement tolerance.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigkahuna48026:
Thanks for the input.

I had purchased the tools to measure the distance to the ogive, but I discovered my limiting factor is the magazine max length allowable: 2.800.

My rifle chamber base to ogive (measured with 10 bullets, each measured 3 times) is average = 2.156"

When my cartridge COAL is 2.800, the base to ogive of that cartridge is 2.140"

So theoretically (I think), I have a jump of 0.016.

I can't make cartridge any longer unless I start loading them by hand into the chamber.    Not gonna do that.

Thanks again for the input on measurement tolerance.
View Quote
You are correct on your jump..in the future, measure a few bullets and find a long one, then set mag depth with it and  then measure ogive-oal...I use old cases with no primer and just slowly seat the bullet until I have my "set" length..that then becomes my "guide" round for that loading...

You can see a "guide" round setting on the powder dispenser..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I seat them with my forward assist.

Just kidding, I’m a machinist by trade and +/-.005 seams excessive to me but it’s what I shoot for.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
In many firearms, COAL is determined by the internal dimensions of the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

What rifle and magazine?
View Quote
Savage 10 with CDI bottom metal which accepts pmag magazine
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#15]
Just finished loading twenty five 75gr A-Max bullets.  All within 2.389-2.391

Link Posted: 7/12/2019 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#17]
+/- .002"
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:

Measure to the ogive and you'll see consistency with your measuring.  
Like you said there's variance in the bullet tip
View Quote
What would be the correct tool to use here?

I have a forster mic seating die sitting on the bench, but I haven't loaded any lately (forgive my sins). So it's still in the box.

I got it mostly for swapping between bullet weight/types, so I have the mic as a reference because it annoys the living hell out of me resetting a standard die.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FritzTKatt] [#20]
So one uses ogive measurements to ensure quality and then makes sure any bullet tip variations still allow for mag length/oal restrictions?

ETA: and also use the ogive measure to figure distance from lands...
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:
So one uses ogive measurements to ensure quality and then makes sure any bullet tip variations still allow for mag length/oal restrictions?

ETA: and also use the ogive measure to figure distance from lands...
View Quote
Perfectamundo!
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I learned long ago that cartridge overall length is a moving target. Since then I have measured all of my loads on the ogive. I load to +-.002 ideally. Anything that is outside those parameters goes int the practice or fouling box. I prefer my precision loads to be +-.001.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#23]
So, my guess is you guys measure each cartridge at the ogive, then adjust the die on each one as it seats off the tip?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:57:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#24]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
So, my guess is you guys measure each cartridge at the ogive, then adjust the die on each one as it seats off the tip?
View Quote
On my seating die, the seating stem contacts the ogive not the tip.  Once the seating die is set up the way you like, you measure a round at the ogive and save that as a reference.  When resetting the die, use the ogive reference (bullet specific) for speed and ease... then measure COAL to make sure it is (still) what you want (e.g. less than mag length for mag fed rounds).  Once seating die is "set", I only measure every 10th or 20th round for QC during a run.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
I am seating using the Forester Ultra Micrometer dies. I set the die up so the mike is zeroed and adjust the seating stem to get to -.002” from my target ogive length. I load everything then go back and start checking ogl. If it is short >.001 I adjust the die the amount it is off reseat and put it in the box. On the rare occasion it is under more than .002 I just put it in the practice/fouling box. It goes faster than it sounds because the Forester is so consistent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 2:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#26]
Thanks fella's. I have a RCBS standard set, do they have ogive stems?
edit-I saw the Hornady dies and they make stems. One I finish my supply of 175 smoke's, I will switch over to the ELDM and get dies at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks fella's. I have a RCBS standard set, do they have ogive stems?
edit-I saw the Hornady dies and they make stems. One I finish my supply of 175 smoke's, I will switch over to the ELDM and get dies at the same time.
View Quote
No they are not seating off the ogive. You can load very consistent ammo with the rcbs by seating partially, turning the load and seat more, turn again and fully seat. If you aren’t loading volume it’s not bad.

For my ground squirrel loads I don’t worry about all those procedures. I only do that for accuracy loads.

If you want to load accuracy rounds invest in a Forester ultra micrometer seating die. It will save much time and effort.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top