Posted: 8/11/2018 9:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric10mm]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:52:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50_Shooter] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slamfyre] [#3]
I know this thread is old, but I want to add a rifle suggestion: Bushmaster BA50.

The newest version of the BA50 has the AA cyclops QD brake, bipod, two mags, and Storm case included, along with a trigger lock and an extra set of eyes and ears.

MSRP is in the $5k+ range, but I see them under $4k, NIB at the present.

This is a mag-fed bolt action, with two ten rd magazines. It offers a 30" LW match barrel (the one I fired had test proof marks from Remington on it, which makes sense, since they're the new "Bushmaster").

I was only privy to a magazine full of M33 IMI ball ammo, but as soon as I fired the rifle a few times, I decided THIS is the .50 cal for me.

"Limited" by ammo and scope (SWFA SS 16X, nonHD), and having never used this platform before, I was able to keep 10rds of ball IMI 661gr on a paper picnic plate at 500yds, mostly in appx 4" group, with three flyers. The three flyers were my own fault, as I was using CHEAP goggles on a cold rainy day.

The BA50, even with a simple/rugged fixed SS 16X, is NOT a rifle I'd want in my enemies' hands.

The owner of said rifle managed to group the same IMI ammo in appx 3" at 500 yds. His hand loads were making clovers until the barrel got too warm (about fifty rds between us in an hour or less).

The BIGGEST feature I loved on this rifle, aside from the glass-smooth roller bolt, was the AA brake. It's 90% as effective as the Armalite brakes I've shot before, and yet it vents most of the blast outward, rather than back in the shooter's face.

Every time I have shot an AR50 or Barrett, I've experienced the "cleared sinus" effect after a few shots. I could literally shoot the BA50 for hours with far less concussive stress.

Cobb, the original designer of this platform, was on to something. Bushmaster did shooters a favor by eliminating the Armalite-style brake, and adding the AA Cyclops.

Now, I'm saving up for a BA50 of my own, which will be my 1st .50 purchase, and likely my only one.

-sf
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slamfyre:
I know this thread is old, but I want to add a rifle suggestion: Bushmaster BA50.

The newest version of the BA50 has the AA cyclops QD brake, bipod, two mags, and Storm case included, along with a trigger lock and an extra set of eyes and ears.

MSRP is in the $5k+ range, but I see them under $4k, NIB at the present.

This is a mag-fed bolt action, with two ten rd magazines. It offers a 30" LW match barrel (the one I fired had test proof marks from Remington on it, which makes sense, since they're the new "Bushmaster").

I was only privy to a magazine full of M33 IMI ball ammo, but as soon as I fired the rifle a few times, I decided THIS is the .50 cal for me.

"Limited" by ammo and scope (SWFA SS 16X, nonHD), and having never used this platform before, I was able to keep 10rds of ball IMI 661gr on a paper picnic plate at 500yds, mostly in appx 4" group, with three flyers. The three flyers were my own fault, as I was using CHEAP goggles on a cold rainy day.

The BA50, even with a simple/rugged fixed SS 16X, is NOT a rifle I'd want in my enemies' hands.

The owner of said rifle managed to group the same IMI ammo in appx 3" at 500 yds. His hand loads were making clovers until the barrel got too warm (about fifty rds between us in an hour or less).

The BIGGEST feature I loved on this rifle, aside from the glass-smooth roller bolt, was the AA brake. It's 90% as effective as the Armalite brakes I've shot before, and yet it vents most of the blast outward, rather than back in the shooter's face.

Every time I have shot an AR50 or Barrett, I've experienced the "cleared sinus" effect after a few shots. I could literally shoot the BA50 for hours with far less concussive stress.

Cobb, the original designer of this platform, was on to something. Bushmaster did shooters a favor by eliminating the Armalite-style brake, and adding the AA Cyclops.

Now, I'm saving up for a BA50 of my own, which will be my 1st .50 purchase, and likely my only one.

-sf
View Quote

I have one of the original Cobb versions.  It is a tack driver and pleasant to shoot.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top