Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2021 5:58:48 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but I am in the process of building a concrete shooting bench at my place. I have a Caldwell rest thing it is just plastic with a telescoping cradle thing for the forearm and is really light and wobbly. I have used sand bags as well. Main use will be sighting in rifles from bolt guns to ARs. My bolt guns I are higher end and I am hoping to do some 500-1000 yard shooting with them so want something good to shoot from.

Cost really isn’t a factor I am sure in the overall scope of the project with the concrete slab, concrete bench, and roof the rest cost isn’t a big deal. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ogive] [#1]
I use a couple different Caldwell rests...  They are GTG...

Caldwell Lead Sled Solo (Lightweight)
Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2  (Heavier)
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
A Ransom rest type front rest with a bag rear rest is as steady as it gets, many people use a bipod up front and a bag in the rear...
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
here toy go. bring money.

http://sebrests.com/products/neo
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:56:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DanaHillen] [#4]
Look at what the benchrest shooters use.

I have a Sinclair..........

https://www.sinclairintl.com/
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DanaHillen:
Look at what the benchrest shooters use.

I have a Sinclair..........

https://www.sinclairintl.com/
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The only thing that the led sled is good for is shooting high recoil rifles multiple times.
I have used this one for years especially with rifles I don’t intend to mount a bipod. I also use it with my lever action rifles. But the bipods are much easier to plop down and use a rear bag. And the mechanical rest is heavy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:15:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#8]
If possible, use the same thing on the bench as what you plan to use in the field.  For rifles with an easy front attachment point, use a bipod in the front and a bag in the rear.  For rifles without an easy front attachment point, I usually use a 30 cal ammo can with a rolled up old towel or sandbag on top of it as the front rest.  I like the K.I.S.S. approach...  
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about the best but I have a Caldwell precision and it does the job.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:56:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
The only thing that the led sled is good for is shooting high recoil rifles multiple times. https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/Primary/348/348661.jpg?imwidth=480
I have used this one for years especially with rifles I don’t intend to mount a bipod. I also use it with my lever action rifles. But the bipods are much easier to plop down and use a rear bag. And the mechanical rest is heavy.
View Quote

This is a good basic rest for all but high level competition.  I did upgrade mine by replacing the thrust washers and bearings with higher quality parts.  This makes a huge difference in stability.  Get these parts.  They are available vis Amazon.  Very inexpensive.  

Johnson Bearing Supply Company (go to their web site)
(2) item 151872694471 Koyo NTA 512 Bearing
(2) item 151889408907 Koyo NTA 512 Washer (2 pc pack)
(1) item 151972284174 Koyo NTA 1625 Bearing
(1) item 151972288307 Koyo NTA 1625 Washer (2 pc pack)

There are multiple threads on making this good rest much better over at Rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Sinclair f-class bipod with either sling swivels or picatinny mount seems to work very well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd use whatever you're planning to shoot the rifle off of when you're not on the bench.

For me, that's a bipod, so I sight in off of the bipod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top