Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2017 12:26:06 PM EDT
So what are you guys using your spotting scope for? I was considering picking up a Konus 20-60x100, but after using a Vortex at the range the other day, I had a hard time seeing 6.5mm hole at even 200 yards.

I shoot by mys of mostly, so no need for a spotter. I don't want to sp not a fortune and was looking at the Konus, but I'm not sure it's worth it even buying one? I'm about to start working up my dope up and shooting at 300 up to 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
What Vortex could you not see 6.5 holes at 200 with? I have used Razors, which I own, and Vipers and no issues seeing holes at 400 and then some.

I mostly use my scope to spot for students when teaching as I use my scope most other times but if you needed more power to see than your scope offers then a spotter can help.
View Quote
An 80mm Diamondback. It was unimpressive for my eyes.

I know there are many variables in play, but I'm wondering on average, how far can you see 6.5mm holes with a quality spotting scope.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 20-60 HD from Vortex.  No problem seeing .223 to 400 yards and .308 to 700-1000.  Not sure about 6.5 but it should do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
When I went in search of a cheaper line of scope for my AR15 I had it narrowed down to the Vortex Diamondback and the  Nikon P223. When I got to the gun shop I asked the guy to look at both of them. They both were pretty comparable  until I looked through them. The Nikon was head and shoulders brighter than the Vortex. He then handed me a Buckmasters II and said to check it out.  It sold itself. It was cheaper than both and just as bright as the P223 and still comes with the fancy Nikon warranty. My point here is just because it says Vortex on the box doesnt always mean its good.  I was really unimpressed.

Now to my POS spotting scope. That gets used for watching boats go by on the river because thats all its good for. With that being said I have been using those stupid black  birdshit targets and I can not even see a 7.62 hole at 150 yards. I may have to try printing some targets on white paper and see what that does.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I primarily use it to check mirage and spot trace

I shoot primarily steel, and hits on white paint is easy enough to check
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

An 80mm Diamondback. It was unimpressive for my eyes.

I know there are many variables in play, but I'm wondering on average, how far can you see 6.5mm holes with a quality spotting scope.
View Quote
That's lime saying "Chevy sucks for towing the Cavalier I had just wouldn't  haul my 25' boat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tweeter:
I primarily use it to check mirage and spot trace

I shoot primarily steel, and hits on white paint is easy enough to check
View Quote
Same here:

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Mirage and trace as well. I have a Leupold Mark 4 mildot spotter at 12-40X60. I cant see hits on paper at 300. I can at 200 and I can see steel impacts at 300+. I think I still dont like Leupold though...
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of the Bushnell Legend 15-45 power scopes with ranging reticle. I use it to spot trace, measure targets downrange (so I don't have to walk 500 or 1000 yards to tell how big the target is) and help new shooters get on target. Today I helped a guy who couldn't hit the 500 yard steel with his Ruger precision Rifle in .308. Three shots later he was banging steel and wasting ammo at 500. Sometimes all it takes is figuring out where you are so you can get on target.

I dont shoot paper so I can really comment too much on seeing bullet holes. Last time I sighted in a guys 6.5 Grendel I had no problem seeing those holes at 100. I could see them through his 4-12x40 Diamondback Tactical scope, too.

If you can't see the holes try a target that gives you more contrast.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
For checking 22 cal bullet hole at 200 yards, I use my SLR camera mounted on a tripod with a 300mm lens, using the electronic zoom.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:29:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#12]
Vortex 20-60x80mmHD primarily for range use, and some hunting. But it's mainly too heavy for almost all of that so I have a Leupold GR 15-30x50mm for hunting portability.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, for less money you can own these if you only need it for target shooting...right now 314.00 and free shipping...supposed to reach 1 mile and reviews are good to great..

Attachment Attached File

Caldwell ballistic target camera
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Good for one target. What if you are shooting multiple targets or yardages?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, for less money you can own these if you only need it for target shooting...right now 314.00 and free shipping...supposed to reach 1 mile and reviews are good to great..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/81m90ASD-ZL-414012.JPG

Good for one target. What if you are shooting multiple targets or yardages?
Make all your buddies buy one as well?

Damn it, I can only handle one target at a time...(but I do have a couple spotting scopes as well)
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I primarily use mine to check out the chicks waterskiing by my house in the summer. It's also useful at the range.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Wind mirage reading, bullet trace observation and splash observation. That's exactly what they're good for.

Amuses me to no end when people try to spot tiny bullet holes in paper from several hundred yards away.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/81m90ASD-ZL-414012.JPG

View Quote
I just made one for less than half of what that costs that operates up to 10 miles with full motion video (28fps) or as far as 25 miles with 3fps. People have had this technology available for years. Don't know why folks can't figure out how to put it to use. Folks should look up -24dB high gain parabolic 2.4GHz wifi antennas. You could use -14dB like they are but why not go the full nine?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:48:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeedYellow] [#19]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

I just made one for less than half of what that costs that operates up to 10 miles with full motion video (28fps) or as far as 25 miles with 3fps. People have had this technology available for years. Don't know why folks can't figure out how to put it to use. Folks should look up -24dB high gain parabolic 2.4GHz wifi antennas. You could use -14dB like they are but why not go the full nine?
View Quote
A portable wifi camera system like the Caldwell for $150?  Color me skeptical.  Got a build sheet? Seems like a good project if truly possible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#20]
Originally Posted By SpeedYellow:

A portable wifi camera system like the Caldwell for $150?  Color me skeptical.  Got a build sheet? Seems like a good project if truly possible.
View Quote
Got 10 minutes and an internet connection? I have to shop for you now? Betcha want me to configure it for you too? Haha, just busting your balls. Ok hang on tight.

I built 2 models. One that I use in open country that's hugely powerful and one that I use at my range that's less powerful. The big one reaches an order of magnitude further for about 20 bucks more in total build cost.

TrendNet -14dB high gain 2.4GHz antenna x2 (40 bucks each), Netis external antenna wifi router x2 (12 bucks each), Lynx battery powered wifi camera x1 (35 bucks), Bestek 12v DC - 110AC inverter 200w x2 (20 bucks each). This model reaches 2 easy. I've tested connectivity to 4 miles.

Where you get your power from is your option. I just pulled the batteries from the tractor for the far side and used the 12v power from my car for the close side. You could also use Duracell 12v cells which run around 20 bucks and give a few hours of run time.

Substitute TP Link -24dB directional parabolic 2.4GHz antennas at 52 bucks each and you can see 10+ miles of range. That's what I use on my big one. Just running the big antenna a wifi router an inverter and camera I was able to get clean video to my laptop without further ado to just beyond 1200yrds with full motion video.

Big antennas on the sender side mount to fence posts and get aimed at the receiver side. Small antennas I just set on the ground and aim them since they come with a stand.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeedYellow] [#21]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

Got 10 minutes and an internet connection? I have to shop for you now? Betcha want me to configure it for you too? Haha, just busting your balls. Ok hang on tight.

I built 2 models. One that I use in open country that's hugely powerful and one that I use at my range that's less powerful. The big one reaches an order of magnitude further for about 20 bucks more in total build cost.

TrendNet -14dB high gain 2.4GHz antenna x2 (40 bucks each), Netis external antenna wifi router x2 (12 bucks each), Lynx battery powered wifi camera x1 (35 bucks), Bestek 12v DC - 110AC inverter 200w x2 (20 bucks each). This model reaches 2 easy. I've tested connectivity to 4 miles.

Where you get your power from is your option. I just pulled the batteries from the tractor for the far side and used the 12v power from my car for the close side. You could also use Duracell 12v cells which run around 20 bucks and give a few hours of run time.

Substitute TP Link -24dB directional parabolic 2.4GHz antennas at 52 bucks each and you can see 10+ miles of range. That's what I use on my big one. Just running the big antenna a wifi router an inverter and camera I was able to get clean video to my laptop without further ado to just beyond 1200yrds with full motion video.

Big antennas on the sender side mount to fence posts and get aimed at the receiver side. Small antennas I just set on the ground and aim them since they come with a stand.
View Quote
whew. Thanks for the info. It'll take some time to digest that... off to do some googling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top