Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2018 4:57:59 PM EDT
I have finally saved up about 100 pieces of brass, so it's time to start loading. What dies are y'all using? I have both a Dillon and an RCBS press. @LRRPF52
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure as haven't looked in to that yet. Need to finish putting the upper together. So tagging for info.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive been using HDY dies with micro seater, no complaints so far.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yarael:
Not sure as haven't looked in to that yet. Need to finish putting the upper together. So tagging for info.
View Quote
I didn't know you pulled the trigger on a build. Awesome man! Maybe we can get together and shoot a little in the fall.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GMZ:
View Quote
HDY? Hornady?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Hornady resizer and a Forster Ultra micrometer seating die
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:

I didn't know you pulled the trigger on a build. Awesome man! Maybe we can get together and shoot a little in the fall.
View Quote
Sounds like a plan.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I this a precision build or a blasting build?

For a blasting build, any set of FL dies will do. RCBS/Hornady shouldn't give you any issues.

If a precision build, you might want to look at FL bushing dies from Redding another maker. I'd definitely be looking at a supported comp type seater too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
I use a Hornady resizer and a Forster Ultra micrometer seating die
View Quote
X2. This is just what I ordered...
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]

HDY? Hornady?
View Quote
Yup, got them on sale from Academy for like $40 or something altogether.

I have Redding and Forster match dies in other calibers and don't feel the need to upgrade my Grendel dies.

I'm shooting a 16" AR and on a good day can squeeze 1 moa, but usually around 1.5.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#10]
Redding Type S full length bushing sizer.

Forster Ultra Micrometer seater(seated 90tnt, 130hyb AR, 140 N CCs, 140 N RDF, 140hybrid, 147eldm and 150SMKs with it)
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

Forster Ultra Micrometer seater(seated 90tnt, 130hyb AR, 140 N CCs, 140 N RDF, 140hybrid, 147eldm and 150SMKs with it)
View Quote
Cool, thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SuperDutyMikeMc:

For a blasting build, any set of FL dies will do. RCBS/Hornady shouldn't give you any issues.

If a precision build, you might want to look at FL bushing dies from Redding another maker. I'd definitely be looking at a supported comp type seater too.
View Quote
Precision
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:02:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperDutyMikeMc] [#13]

Precision
View Quote
In that case, I'd get this kit exactly.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0007636478/6halfmm-grendel-type-s-match-bushing-full-length-die-set

Or maybe some Forster dies; I think you'll have to order those ala-carte though, but they may be a bit lower priced.

Edit: Not trying to be condescending so if you already know this, I apologize for the repeat. If you order a bushing kit, you'll also need to order the bushings. Measure the neck OD of a loaded round using the brass you plan to use, then get the bushing .002 smaller than that reading.

i.e. if your loaded round measures .294, you'd want a .292 bushing to set the appropriate neck tension in a semi-auto. The fancy coated bushings aren't required.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
This is what I recommend as well. The Forester seater is better for compressed loads which happens often with Grendel
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Precision
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperDutyMikeMc:

Precision
He doesn't understand us. Precision is where it is at. Although I can have the top of the line everything yet my shacky hands I do the best I can. Hell my Ruger AR556 I still get close to MOA..

@buckshot_jim when and really where is that shoot at for the Texas forum? Where is the big thing for me. Got to take off from work.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
How are you loading those 150s?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#17]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

I don't use them, they didn't shoot well. I was just pointing out that seater works for those bullet shapes.

I worked up a 150smk load with a good SD/ES at the velocity I had to get to beat my 147eld and 140hybrid loads and it shot 2moa lol so that was the end of those.

I used 29.4gr of W748 at 2.525"oal @2420 fps out of my 24" bbl.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't use them, they didn't shoot well. I was just pointing out that seater works for those bullet shapes.

I worked up a 150smk load with a good SD/ES at the velocity I had to get to beat my 147eld and 140hybrid loads and it shot 2moa lol so that was the end of those.

I used 29.4gr of W748 at 3.525"oal @2420 fps out of my 24" bbl.
View Quote
Thanks I have a box of 140 RDFs I haven't done anything with because I really don't think they'll shoot good. Someday I'll try
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
That's what I have. Haven't used em yet though
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:

That's what I have. Haven't used em yet though
View Quote
I got mine cheap at Cabelas...they were running like 20% off Nosler bullets, plus I had a coupon and maybe some discounted gift cards or something.  Bought a box of 100, even though I've read that they generally don't shoot well due to how deep you have to seat them to fit in a magazine.  Can't get much powder in the case.  We'll see...someday....
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:50:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#21]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Thanks I have a box of 140 RDFs I haven't done anything with because I really don't think they'll shoot good. Someday I'll try
View Quote
The 140 RDFs shot decent for me and had low SD/ESs(8/25) but they were 85fps slower than my 140 Hybrids, about 60fps slower than my 147eldm and even a bit slower than the 150smk.
Being that much slower made them inferior to my 140hyb load and even with my 147 load( which shot tighter than the RDF) for long range.

For my long range loads I develop by SD/ES and near max velocity, if it doesn't group below 1 moa at my velocity numbers I don't use that bullet. So your mileage may vary.

The 140 RDF, loading at the lands, takes up more case capacity than the Hybrid so given the same powder it makes sense it's slower.

This the line I scribed shows where they all contact the lands(the only bullet I load mag length are the 140CCs).

From top to bottom
140 CC
147eldm
140 Hybrid
140 RDF
150 SMK
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I have found the Lapua 123gr Scenar to be a great bullet for 6.5 Grendel. You can load it to magazine length and it has a good balance of velocity and BC. Not too expensive either and available in 1000 pc lots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#23]
Originally Posted By GMZ:
View Quote
Same here I had a set of Lee and a set of Foster, but the Hornady seem to be just as good as the Foster dies with a bit more neck tension.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#24]
I have a Lee 3 die set and a Hornady 2 die set. I use the Lee resize r and the Hornady bullet seater. Seems to be working well. Good neck tension on bullets.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I am going to use a set of RCBS small base taper crimp dies for the .264LBC with a #32 shell base.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Started with a Lee set and took a while to realize the seating stem only worked properly with lighter bullets. Also they gave terrible and inconsistent neck tension.  Scrapped the Lee set and went with Hornady.  Going to pick up the micro adjust seating stem for them.  The value they represent is hard to beat and they still have the 100 free bullets deal going on for 2019.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I am not loading for 6.5G but I  have found best results with Redding Competition dies(shoulder die/ bushing die) and Forrester sleeved micrometer seating die..I also use a Sinclair mandrel die to finalize neck tension...Results have been excellent...
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I was using a Hornady full length sizer die, but it was leaving me with .006" neck tension.

I started to buy a Redding bushing die, but read some articles by Whidden Gunworks where they were having more runout with bushing style dies than with standard decap/sizing dies.

I ended up with a Forster full length sizing die because they will send a custom expander/decap unit to achieve whatever neck tension you desire.  Neck tension is now .003"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top