Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2018 1:32:49 AM EDT
Equipment wise. I'd prefer equipment which offers the best reloading experience. Needs to be sub $1k and time efficient. Must be grid down capable. I want to reload my once fired brass. Only two bullets I plan on using are 62g Gold Dots for 5.56 instead of .223, and 150g Gold Dots for .308. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Manual.  
Single stage press
Set of dies for each caliber (make sure the set includes full length resizing/decapping dies)
Lube
Tumbler/Media
Scale
Powder Thrower
Priming Tool
Calipers
Case Trimmer
Deburring tool
Primer Pocket Brush
Stuck Case Remover
Cases
Primers
Boolets
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
There's that FPNI phenomenon again.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#3]
A good all in one starting point that will last forever would be a RCBS rockchucker starter kit, then add the other pieces needed...

270 bucks for their supreme kit(on sale now), then add manual case trimmer with caliber specific 3 way cutting head, micrometer, die set for each caliber along with shell holders for each...
https://www.natchezss.com/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-reloading-kit-with-m500-scale.html

ETA: A couple other important things to add to your kit..A manual trickler,  hornaday comparator  kit with both case and bullet sizes, I would also add a separate hand primer kit(RCBS), A collet style bullet puller with collets for each size caliber, A flash hole deburr tool(handheld), A stack on reloading bench if you don't have a open bench for reloading....All of that should run right around a grand if you research a bit..
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kujoe:
Good Manual.  
Single stage press
Set of dies for each caliber (make sure the set includes full length resizing/decapping dies)
Lube
Tumbler/Media
Scale
Powder Thrower
Priming Tool
Calipers
Case Trimmer
Deburring tool
Primer Pocket Brush
Stuck Case Remover
Cases
Primers
Boolets
View Quote
Forgot powder
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
This is an ancient post I used to copy/paste every time this question came up - I have no idea if the prices are still current, but I bet they are not terribly out of line:

-----------------------

First get a reloading manual and read it. Then price out everything you think you will need, and ensure you want to devote the time and money up front. Then, if that is all squared away.... get started.

I am on of those "Start out on a single stage" guys.  Unless you know you want to primarily load large quantities of straight wall pistol rounds.

Here is what I got. Prices are AVERAGE....

"Mandatory" (I consider them mandatory... YOU may not) components:

$225.00 Rock Chucker Press Supreme Kit
incl - RCBS 5-0-5 blance scale
incl - RCBS hand priming tool
incl - Uniflow powder measure
incl - Speer reloading manual
incl - RCBS case block
incl - RCBS case lube and pad
incl - powder funnel
incl - case mouth debur tool
$30.00 Basic die sets for each caliber you want.
$20.00 Case gauge for each caliber, Wilson or Dillon.
$ 6.00 Shell holders. I recommend you get two for each caliber you want (one for the press, one for the hand primer)
$40.00 Calipers. I went with Frankford Arsenal digitals from Midway.
$60.00 Case trimmer and mount. I went with a Wilson. You can go cheaper... and skip the mount if on a budget.
$ 7.00 Shell case holders for the Wilson case trimmer, each.
$50.00 Tumbler for brass.
$20.00 Corn-cob and/or Walnut media
$40.00 Rotary media separator.

Optional Components for accuracy:

$20.00 Flash hole debur tool
$25.00 Large rifle primer pocket uniformer
$25.00 Small rifle primer pocket uniformer
$15.00 Powder trickler. The kit doesn't come with one. You need it for hand weighing accurate rounds.

Optional Components:

$150.00 Reloading bench. I got mine at Lowes.
$25.00 RCBS uniflow powder throw stand. The standard mount off the dies SUCKS.
$5.00 Shell holder trays. You only get one with your kit, you need more.
$4.00 Plastic cartridge cases for each caliber, to hold your loaded rounds. You will need a BUNCH.
$4.00 Tupperware containers for holding bullets, cases, etc.
$16.00 Kinetic bullet puller
$16.00 Brass media polish

Since then, I have upgraded to Redding Competition seating dies, RCBS Chargemaster electronic scale/dispenser, Frankford drop tube funnel, etc.....  But the basic stuff I still use each time.

You can do this whole thing cheaper using a LEE Anniversary kit, and LEE equipment, but they have a mixed reputation, while you almost never hear anything bad about the Rock Chucker for people who own it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to check EE, eBay and CL. I have found good deals there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Go read two reloading manuals. That will get you started.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding time efficiency, please consider the idea of reloading as a hobby in itself, which in turn benefits your shooting hobby.  If you come into this with a mindset that reloading will be a chore or not entertaining by itself, you should ask yourself if you really want to reload.

To reload at a high production level, there's a considerable amount of investment and setup time before a single case gets filled.  Also consider that reloading bottlenecked cartridges requires an extra steps of case prep than straight walled cartridges.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd take pride in loading my own. Just as I prefer to build my own AR, fix the house myself, or bite my girlfriends...well you get the point. I perceive it would be good. Plus saves a lot of money with the loads that interest me. Some aren't even readily available at retail.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beatsAstick:
I'd take pride in loading my own. Just as I prefer to build my own AR, fix the house myself, or bite my girlfriends...well you get the point. I perceive it would be good. Plus saves a lot of money with the loads that interest me. Some aren't even readily available at retail.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
About half the cost. I'll be using once fired brass.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By beatsAstick:
Equipment wise. I'd prefer equipment which offers the best reloading experience. Needs to be sub $1k and time efficient. Must be grid down capable. I want to reload my once fired brass. Only two bullets I plan on using are 62g Gold Dots for 5.56 instead of .223, and 150g Gold Dots for .308. Thanks in advance!
View Quote
The ability to read and comprehend hundreds of existing threads , full of previously posted information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top