Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2019 11:41:16 PM EDT
What are your go to bcg's for a precision 5.56/.223 AR? What is the preffered contour? Semi, M16? Does it matter?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it matters a great deal. Any BCG with a properly headspaced bolt should work fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:15:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:20:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nick710:
I don't think it matters a great deal. Any BCG with a properly headspaced bolt should work fine.
View Quote
This.
If you've eliminated all the other variables and find the BCG is effecting accuracy I'd be shocked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt .............
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:12:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Veprz] [#6]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
JP.
View Quote
JP Full mass (FMOS)?

JP is one of the ones I have seen reccomended in the past. semi auto profile?

The others I have seen reccomended are

Les Baer - the only ones I have seen are semi auto profile, they are now discontinued. Supposedly these were manufactured by Young.

Young Manufacturing - availible in semi auto or M16 profile.

The reason Ive heard to use a NM bcg is that there is more material/contact area to interface with the inside of the upper. This according to them, minimizes bcg movement in the upper and is supposed to help keep the bolt inline/centered during lock up for shot to shot consistency.

Id like to go with a NM bcg, but not sure about semi v.s. M16 profile. The argument for the M16 profile I guess would be the increased weight? (given in the case of Young bcg the difference is .1oz or 11.3oz v.s. 11.4oz) I certainly wouldnt expect anyone to run a ss barreled precision build on auto.

Here is Mr. Joe Carlos explaining it way better than I can lol. Basically the NM carriers combat tilt, helping the bcg stay inline with the bore. He takes it even further with stabilizers on the aft end. He also provides a way to actually measure a real difference in fit between a regular and NM bcg (measuring gap between the bcg and channel in upper with feeler gauges, comparing those measurements between upper and lower as well as side to side).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=P2-BIENNPOg
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't matter
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MarkL1:
Doesn't matter
View Quote
This.  I'm almost amused at all the different configurations and styles and colors available now.  Bottom line, run a standard phosphate FA BCG as Eugeine Stoner intended, and your gun will shoot great for a long time.

I'm not nearly as enamored with the NIB and other spiffy finished BCG's.  The phosphate BCG has wear at a few contact points.  That wear is a smoothing process, where it fits itself to your upper.  Once it wears in, it becomes butter smooth, and lasts forever.  I pull back a standard PSA FA 12,000 round BCG, and it's like there's no BCG in there all, it's so smooth.  Yet it runs like a Swiss watch.  Pull out the gas rings from time to time, and keep it lubed, and it'll last a long time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
My Larue Stealth upper has a PSA BCG installed.  I only remember this because I cleaned it yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

This.  I'm almost amused at all the different configurations and styles and colors available now.  Bottom line, run a standard phosphate FA BCG as Eugeine Stoner intended, and your gun will shoot great for a long time.

I'm not nearly as enamored with the NIB and other spiffy finished BCG's.  The phosphate BCG has wear at a few contact points.  That wear is a smoothing process, where it fits itself to your upper.  Once it wears in, it becomes butter smooth, and lasts forever.  I pull back a standard PSA FA 12,000 round BCG, and it's like there's no BCG in there all, it's so smooth.  Yet it runs like a Swiss watch.  Pull out the gas rings from time to time, and keep it lubed, and it'll last a long time.
View Quote
My LMT somehow has a hardchromed BCG.  I am a fan.  I am not sure if it is easier to clean or just very impressive to look at after cleaning.

Agree, learn how to do the gas ring test.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Compass Lake uses a standard milspec bolt.  Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#12]
Misfire.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 6:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Veprz] [#13]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
Compass Lake uses a standard milspec bolt.  Good enough for me.
View Quote
Hard to argue with CLE, I hear they are excellent.

So it seems it pretty much doesnt matter as long as the bcg is quality and in spec. Thank you all for the replies. With so many options and opinions its mind numbing trying to pick each component, especially when trying to get it right on the first go.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#14]
My precision 223 has an  AIM surplus chrome.

My precision 308 has a JP full mass

My precision 224V has a AIM surplus TiCN

All my others probably have the PSA nickel / chrome bsc'a.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
THE BEST, YOUNG NM
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 2:02:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#16]
Agree that it probably does not matter as long as the bolt, itself headspaces properly in the barrel extension and is in spec.

FWIW, and purely as a matter of personal cleaning convenience, I run a WMD Guns Nickel-Boron BCG in my precision AR15 build.  it cleans up very easily, has an extremely low coefficient of friction and is harder than chrome or nitride.   Supposedly well applied nickel boron can be run completely lube free, but I use a  little full synthetic oil for piece of mind.

It is also semi-auto, rather than full auto profile and weight.

I seriously doubt that the weight or surface finish has any effect, positive or negative, on accuracy.

I've swapped in a nitride BCG and a standard phosphate BCG (both FA style) and cannot discern any difference in accuracy compared to the WMD.  The rilfe is sub 1/2 MOA capable with carefully selected component match handloads, regardless of which BCG is in place.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
A PSA in one and a BCM in another.

I dont think the BCG is going to have any effect on accuracy as long as it headspaces properly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the only time an NIB BCG has any advantage is in an AR that is heavily used in suppressed mode.  They are noticeably easier to clean, but it's not one of those absolutes whatsoever.

Even a nitride BCG has some advantage as far as cleaning goes for suppressor use.

My two Armalite AR10's are full mass, phosphate, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.  I don't shoot those two guns suppressed very much.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:44:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#19]
Originally Posted By BCOWANWHEELS:
THE BEST, YOUNG NM
View Quote
This made me laugh.

1. Krieger uses JP.
2. Ask CLE what is best, not standard... JP.
3. I have had multiple Young and JP bolts/carriers. Young does not hold a candle to JP. It is one of the few carriers where you inspect it closely and say "wow that's nice"  and the ONLY bolt I have ever seen where I looked at it closely and wondered how anyone could make a bolt THAT good and THAT perfect.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#20]
My 6.5CM AR has an Aero NiB carrier and a Rubber City Armory bolt and firing pin.

Aero didn't offer the a high pressure bolt when I bought a complete BCG from them, and they wouldn't sell the HP bolt separately, so I found a company that did- RCA- and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DevL:

This made me laugh.

1. Krieger uses JP.
2. Ask CLE what is best, not standard... JP.
3. I have had multiple Young and JP bolts/carriers. Young does not hold a candle to JP. It is one of the few carriers where you inspect it closely and say "wow that's nice"  and the ONLY bolt I have ever seen where I looked at it closely and wondered how anyone could make a bolt THAT good and THAT perfect.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#22]
Originally Posted By Veprz:
What are your go to bcg's for a precision 5.56/.223 AR? What is the preffered contour? Semi, M16? Does it matter?
View Quote
I believe in full mass.  It slows cycle time also which would combat over gassing and improve ejecting.  Plus ive never had a cartridge fail to go into battery with that and an h buffer.  When i built my last upper i bought a nib bcg because, if im buying... why not. If it came with a phosphate bcg, I'd use that.  It's a little stained after few hundred rds but easy ti clean,  and looks good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#23]
JP LMOS.  It's incredibly smooth, you have to feel it to believe it.  The lighter weight causes less disruption as it returns to battery.  Doesn't affect mechanical accuracy but I believe the lower weight and smoothness do improve practical accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Veprz] [#24]
Which JP Carrier? Full mass or low mass? I can see the merits of both.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]
When I built my AR15 Franken Rifle I went with a Young Chrome BCG. When I built my LaRue UU AR10 I get a LaRue Chrome. Seems like hard chrome is the way to go. Damn near indestructible, cleans up really easy and looks cool.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#26]
PSA nickel boron.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
JP FMOS in a Kreiger barreled 6.5cm.  I had cam slot issues in a DPMS bcg (cut too long, caused issues).  Kreiger recommends JP bolts for their barrels.

Fail zero in my 223 precision ar's. Shilen, Rock Creek, CLE barrels.  The NiB is just easier to clean, no other reason for using them.

The others get colt or young M16 carriers.  They set the standard a long time ago.  They always work and work smoothly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Little_Scrapper] [#28]
I heard the nickle Boron discolors over time and starts to look burnt even after its cleaned? Is that true?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#29]
Fail Zero NiB in one, and a JP FMOS in the other. I cannot notice a difference in performance between the two.

All of my beater rifles are either Colt, PSA, or whatever they came with when I bought the complete rifle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Little_Scrapper:
I heard the nickle Boron discolors over time and starts to look burnt even after its cleaned? Is that true?
View Quote
I have over a couple thousand rounds on one of my NiB BCs, no discoloration. I keep it lubed with CherryBalmz and it still looks as good as new after cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice looking rig!
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Little_Scrapper:
View Quote
Only if you clean it with Hoppes.

Doesn't really matter, you buy NiB for its slick finish not for the color.  Discoloration doesn't impact ease of cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Veprz] [#33]
I did end up going with a Young NM hard chrome in semi profile, mainly because the M16 style was oos. The weight difference between the two Young NM bcg's is 0.1oz and it is 0.2oz heavier than Young's standard M16 bcg despite being a semi profile. I will probably pick up a JP carrier down the road as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Colt.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
there was never a National Match BCG. No specs for it. All it is marketing hype
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#36]
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#37]
The tool craft/ psa bolts I hot on sale last year.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Doesn’t really matter, but can’t hurt using a BCG made by a manufacturer that has roots in precision shooting.

I used to recommend Young National Match but they are impossible to find these days it seems  

JP is my go to now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By rob78:

Doesn't really matter, you buy NiB for its slick finish not for the color.  Discoloration doesn't impact ease of cleaning.
View Quote

Not true. Ive used Breakfree and G96 on an LWRC NiB and it turned after about 60 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Toolcraft.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:26:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#41]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
PSA Premium / Toolcraft mostly.

Haven't seen the need for much else.

My profile pic is from a PSA / Toolcraft Large Frame nitrated BCG.

Kreiger .223 Wlyde same thing PSA Premium.

Come to think of it.. all my precision AR's use PSA Premium

Sorry, not very glamorous.
View Quote

Are all PSA premium BCG’s Toolcraft? If not, how can you tell?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#43]
PSA carrier and JP bolt
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 3:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#44]
After extensive testing with adjustable SLR gas blocks set to minimum for LMOS to lock back 55 grain .223 on last round of a PMAG unsuppressed. I found zero accuracy difference between FMOS and LMOS from 55 grain .223 loads to 5.56 pressure 77 grain match loads. I found zero difference at shooter ear suppressed for LMOS vs FMOS. I found zero difference in gas to shooter face suppressed. If a gas block is tuned for LMOS, FMOS cycles fine, it just fails to lock back on last round 100% of the time. I would not run the LMOS with full gas... it is pointless to not run an adjustable gas block with LMOS and get the reduced recoil and limit carrier speed.

On a side note, I did not find changing between the Carbine buffer and H1 buffer to alter the minimum reliability setting on an SLR adjustable gas block either. It was the same setting to lock back bolt on the last round with LMOS or FMOS on 4 rifles. The gas settings are too far apart to see that difference in the rifles I own. H2 vs carbine was a different setting by 1 click. LMOS vs FMOS tuning click difference was 2-3 clicks for minimum to lock back on last round of .223 55 grain.

This was small frame .223/5.56 rifles only. All bets are off for other calibers. Mostly 16" mid gas as well. YMMV.

Due to this testing I have 4 LMOS in rifles and have 1 FMOS sitting in my safe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Not true. Ive used Breakfree and G96 on an LWRC NiB and it turned after about 60 rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Originally Posted By rob78:

I've not had that experience.  Hoppes has always guaranteed a color change, but CLP hasn't yet.

Strange.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#48]
JP Grendel here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#49]
BCM in one and a Radian in the other SPR
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Modern Weapons System Lightweight in my 7mm SAW.
Looks like they don't make them anymore...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top