Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2018 12:02:55 PM EDT
I'm starting to get back into long range shooting and I'd like to get something with a barometer function.

I'm looking at the foretrex 401 and the Weatherflow Bluetooth device. Two completely different devices but here's my thought process:

1) I have an old etrex that works fine for my uses. Used mostly to double check my map/ compass calculations. No barometer feature though.

2) I have a weatherflow wind meter (wind only, no baro)

Since I'm looking to improve my ability to calculate alti/ baro/ temp for ballistics which would be a better buy?

I figure I can determine alti by maps, temp by thermometer so the baro reading is my primary need.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate the help.

Does the baro readings from either of these devices correct for temp changes or does that need to be figured in later, for example.

I probably have more questions but not sure what to ask at this point.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Well If you use the weatherflow (WeatherFlow Precision Shooting WEATHERmeter Hand Held Weather Meter with Bluetooth for Smartphones, is the name on midway), With strelock pro It can do DA. The less tools, the less hand math you have to do. The easier it is on the shooter. Eventually I will be getting a Kestrel weather meter with applied ballistics. I hate dragging my phone around for my data. I like to keep things as simple as possible. IDeally all Ill have is a kestrel, LRF, bag or two, Tripod, and my data book.

The weatherflow is a great bargain for 90$ So if you already have a smart phone, 90$ gets you a one stop shop for ballistic data.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I think we're basically on the same page. I've been leaning towards the weatherflow, as I do use strelok pro on my phone, but wondered if upgrading my gps at the same time would be worth the additional cost.

I'm not convinced it is so I'm leaning heavily on the weatherflow.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]
All I use is a kilo 2400 range finder, it has an app for my phone that is used to input your rifles ballistics and to figure wind, but phone isn't needed once the rifle data is sync'ed and you call the wind....I have ranged out past 2000 yards with it on trees, further on cliffs/rocks/dirt, and out past 1600 on animals in perfect conditions...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The Garmin requires a separate sensor to do temperature which would annoy me. It's reallly hard to beat a kestrel with AB.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:11:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]
My old phone(Galaxy S5) tells me pressure, perhaps yours does.
Then all you need is a thermometer. Set humidity at 50%. You don't need elevation when you have pressure. Air temp and pressure have the greatest effect.

But really just get a 4000 series or better Kestrel, I don't understand the aversion people have to buying a Kestrel. There is a 4000 on ebay right now for $86 or offer, a 4500NV w/Horus for $142.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top