Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2022 12:02:21 PM EDT
I have a Remington 700 short action in .260 rem. with a threaded 5r barrel. With the lack of .260 rem ammo out there. I was looking for some options for a similar barrel in the 7.62 arena. So my question is can anyone suggest a barrel similar to the 5r barrel in 7.62?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty simple, pick a brand and order it, when it shows up give your action and the new barrel  to a quality smith and tell him what you want...If you don't have a top smith in your area, you can ship the action and new barrel to them, or better yet, have them get the barrel and just send in your action...

Bugholes normally has a wide selection of barrels....

http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1818.htm
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Easiest way, IMO, is to send it to a full service shop that makes and installs barrels.  Otherwise, you are chasing specific contour barrels to fit your stock and whatnot.  

https://www.hartbarrels.com/rebarreling-a/258.htm

Generally, you want them to true/blueprint the action and rebarrel.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
1st question is do you want someone to do all the work or not?
    If so I can't say enough good things about Southern Precision. AKA Bugholes
They did a Forbes 20b for me that went from a turd to a 1/2 MOA 5.5 lbs tack driver.  
It was a Bartlien featherweight profile they installed.  

If you want to do the work and don't mind buying a barrel vise and go/no go gages then a remage prefit is the ticket.  I will also recommend the same guys, but there are other great options as well.  

That's the route I would have normally done but the barrel shank and action are a mini r700 and it was better to have them do that setup.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in Kansas are you?  Could call GA Precision in Kansas City and they can probably get you set up.  They are arguably one of the best and in your backyard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Have a few 5R's from X Caliber.  Every one shoots amazing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By braveperry:
Where in Kansas are you?  Could call GA Precision in Kansas City and they can probably get you set up.  They are arguably one of the best and in your backyard.
View Quote

Or Jeff at Rivers Bend Gun Co. in Weston.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So I live in the Wichita area so Kansas city and Weston aren't to much of a haul. I like the contour of my 5r barrel and that its threaded. What I'm wanting to try to accomplish is to be able to shoot both 7.62 and 308 since I have an abundance of 7.62.51. I'm also going to be changing the stock and having is refinished in a tougher finish than the factor finish. I hope that answers all the questions. Thank you all for your replies. all good options.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.x-caliber.net/  They'll make about any barrel you can ever imagine
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
https://mcgowenbarrel.com/remington-pre-fit-barrels/

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/prefits/rem-age/rem-age-pre-fit-barrel/?v=7516fd43adaa
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:34:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ebbiv] [#11]
I like the 260 far more than 7.62 its actually a really good round, i've been wanting to do an AR10 with it, or 7mm-08
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Slmpickins28:
So I live in the Wichita area so Kansas city and Weston aren't to much of a haul. I like the contour of my 5r barrel and that its threaded. What I'm wanting to try to accomplish is to be able to shoot both 7.62 and 308 since I have an abundance of 7.62.51. I'm also going to be changing the stock and having is refinished in a tougher finish than the factor finish. I hope that answers all the questions. Thank you all for your replies. all good options.  
View Quote

It should already shoot both of those.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#13]
If ammo is the problem, spend the rebarrel cash on reloading equipment and supplies.

But there seems to be plenty of ammo out there.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/260-remington
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Remington 700 short action in .260 rem. with a threaded 5r barrel. With the lack of .260 rem ammo out there. I was looking for some options for a similar barrel in the 7.62 arena. So my question is can anyone suggest a barrel similar to the 5r barrel in 7.62?
View Quote

How many rounds through the barrel so far? If you aren't approaching 2000 rounds yet I would consider reloading as opposed to re-barreling. Bullets and brass are available if you shop around. Finding primers and to a lesser extent powder, will be expensive in this market.

.260 is a very capable round and is every bit as useful a 6.5 Creedmoor which seems to be all the rage now.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#15]
If you are changing the barrel and stock your other option is to just sell the gun and buy something closer to what you want. Might save you time and tinkering. Nowadays there are all kinds of options for all kinds of budgets. Another option which isn't real popular and not always cost effective is you could have your barrel setback and rechambered to 6.5 Creedmoor which is more popular.

Originally Posted By FedDC:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FedDC:

260 shoots 308 now
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

260 shoots 308 now
View Quote

I believe he was referring to the OP's comment of .308 and 7.62.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

260 shoots 308 now

That doesn't make any sense. He said it should shoot them both now. It is a 260.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I would look at a remage barrel for your caliber change. The barrel will cost you around 500$ and save you the cost and time of a gunsmith to change and fit it, since it only takes a action and barrel nut wrench, go/no-go gauge to change them. To take the factory barrel off, you will just need a barrel vice and the actin wrench.

Barrel Vice

Barrel and Tools
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's what I did: bought a remage barrel from crown ridge barrel works. Bought a wrench and go gauge. Cussed and swore and couldn't get the action loose. Heard about river bend gun Co, so I called them up. Jeff said to swing by the next day. One the workers let me follow him around while took the old barrel off, sandblasted and reparked the receiver,  installed the new barrel, and headspaced it. All for an extremely good price, and I got to learn a lot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#20]
I got a Shillen 308 stainless prefit. 26” 1-10 twist. Had a local smith install, thread, and cerakote it. Very happy with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top