Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2019 8:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waxman]
Does anyone have any first hand experience  with this scope?I am going to possibly  put this scope on a 22 rifle for NRL 22 matches.Is the lack of zero stop a big deal?Any thoughts on this scope or possibly  another option?
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The glass is good, the reticle is useful and easily digested and the turkeys track true.

That said, the turrets are mushy and there is no zero-stop.

I’ve got three and love them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By esa17:
The glass is good, the reticle is useful and easily digested and the turkeys track true.

That said, the turrets are mushy and there is no zero-stop.

I’ve got three and love them.
View Quote
Do you by any chance own a viper pst gen2?Just curious  how these Diamondbacks  compare.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Waxman:

Do you by any chance own a viper pst gen2?Just curious  how these Diamondbacks  compare.
View Quote
I do.

There is no glass comparison, light transmission is much better on the Viper G2.  My DB Tacs have the EBR-2C reticle while my Viper G2 has the EBR-7C, honestly they're interchangeable to me.  The biggest features that stand out with the Viper are the ultra crisp turrets and the zero stop.

If you've got the money to spend, buy the Viper Gen2.  If you're on a budget or just cheap (like me) buy the DB Tac.  Either way, you'll get a scope that does exactly what you ask of it so long as you stay within its performance envelope.  I've used my DB Tacs in PRS style matches and never felt hindered by them.  Shooting a Razor wouldn't have gotten me $1500s worth of points which is why I elected to upgrade to the Viper from the DB Tac instead of the Razor.

I upgraded because I wanted the zero stop and the crisp turrets.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I do.

There is no glass comparison, light transmission is much better on the Viper G2.  My DB Tacs have the EBR-2C reticle while my Viper G2 has the EBR-7C, honestly they're interchangeable to me.  The biggest features that stand out with the Viper are the ultra crisp turrets and the zero stop.

If you've got the money to spend, buy the Viper Gen2.  If you're on a budget or just cheap (like me) buy the DB Tac.  Either way, you'll get a scope that does exactly what you ask of it so long as you stay within its performance envelope.  I've used my DB Tacs in PRS style matches and never felt hindered by them.  Shooting a Razor wouldn't have gotten me $1500s worth of points which is why I elected to upgrade to the Viper from the DB Tac instead of the Razor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waxman:

I do.

I have 2 of the pst gen 2's, and really like them.I hate to say it, but I almost prefer the viper over my nightforce. Having never shot a nrl 22 match, I just wonder how much of a problem no zero stop would be.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It wasn't a "problem" per se, for me in the PRS style matches on my 6.5cm but it did require extra brain power to remember what you dialed so you could accurately dial it back out after the stage.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I am also looking for a 22 LR scope for a suppressed 22.  The Diamondbacks claim to have 10 yard and 20 yard focus for paralax which is better than the real world close focus I have on a gen 1 6-24.

4-16 X is all I need for magnification but the 6-24 focuses down to 10 yards.  The 6-24 is only 1/4 inch longer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the Diamondback tactical have the ability to make a washer zero stop like the Athlon argos?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
No mechanical zero stop on the DB Tac.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Have both.
Both are excellent for their price.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two PST G2s. A 3-15ffp, and 1-6sfp.

My neighbor (against my advice...) got a 5-25? diamondback. Anyway, it was readily apparent just looking at the stop sign down the street the glass is half of the gen2s. It's usable up to about 16x, but the lack of quality is shown at higher mags. The extra money was easily justified in use even at 400yds. I didn't screw with the turrets at all, but as expected we had no problem getting it zeroed or holding zero during the day, about 100 rds of 6.5jesusmoor.

He has since seen the light and picked up a bergara to replace the axis, and a gen2 25x to replace the diamondback.

On the same note. The 25x ffp, loses the edges of the reticle at 20+, kind of bad at 25x. Although if you're using 25x, you probably need to dial anyway.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:52:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#11]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

My neighbor (against my advice...) got a 5-25? diamondback. Anyway, it was readily apparent just looking at the stop sign down the street the glass is half of the gen2s. It's usable up to about 16x, but the lack of quality is shown at higher mags. The extra money was easily justified in use even at 400yds. I didn't screw with the turrets at all, but as expected we had no problem getting it zeroed or holding zero during the day, about 100 rds of 6.5jesusmoor.

He has since seen the light and picked up a bergara to replace the axis, and a gen2 25x to replace the diamondback.

On the same note. The 25x ffp, loses the edges of the reticle at 20+, kind of bad at 25x. Although if you're using 25x, you probably need to dial anyway.
View Quote

You’re not comparing the scopes fairly.  

The DB Tac is 1/3rd the cost of the PST G2 so if the glass is half as good you’re still getting a great value.

I’ve reached out to nearly a grand with mine and had no issues. As an entry level scope to get me in the game, it’s exactly what the doctor ordered.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:33:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#13]
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
To be fair, no one has ever argued that the Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP at $400 competes directly with the PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP at $1000.

To say that one can't physically accomplish the same tasks as the PST with the Dback, though, is false. This guy typing this right now has used the Dback Tac FFP at now two Vortex Extremes with impacts out to 1200 yards with a 6.5 Creed Ruger American Predator - both times. Would the PST do it better? Absolutely, yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

To be fair, no one has ever argued that the Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP at $400 competes directly with the PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP at $1000.

To say that one can't physically accomplish the same tasks as the PST with the Dback, though, is false. This guy typing this right now has used the Dback Tac FFP at now two Vortex Extremes with impacts out to 1200 yards with a 6.5 Creed Ruger American Predator - both times. Would the PST do it better? Absolutely, yes.

Well said.  It’s not a $1000 scope and not priced like one, either.  I bought mine with .22LR NRL type shooting in mind.  It seems perfect for that.  The glass is quite acceptable for those distances, the turrets track well at those distances, and the FFP “tree” type reticle is quite useful.  Shooting .22LR at 300 yards is quite a challenge and at $400 it performs well.

Another feature desirable for rimfire precision is the side focus that goes down from infinity to a mere 10 yards.  The rifle is a Remington 541-S Custom Sporter.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonblack] [#14]
I sell hundreds of Vortex scopes per year in my store. In my opinion, the Diamondback Tactical represents one of the best values on the market. Zero stop? If you arent going  from a 100 yard zero to past 500 yards, then it wont be hard to keep track of which "wrap" or "turn" you are on.

I take my customers out front of the shop, and we look up the road to a red light, which is exactly 1760 yards (one mile) and I ask them to look through several scopes. That sells Diamondback Tacticals more often than you would believe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top