Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 3:04:47 PM EDT
Anybody own or have experience behind one of these? Very intrigued by it and curious how the glass holds up
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure the glass holding up is the issue.  I have used the Recon 15x monocular they make and it was really nice but if I were buying a monocular it would be a range finder and not just a magnified lens.  I get the mono is smaller and lighter than binos that would be the only reason I opted for a mono over binos.  Other than I would rather have a range finder they are pretty handy for a small package magnified optic.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It has an mrad crosshair and silhouette ranging. Vortex claims it’s made in Japan and performs like the viper HD binos in  terms of glass. I just ordered one from europtic for $240. Figured it can’t be too terribly disappointing as it’s a Japanese optic for 240 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Viper is high quality glass just below Razor probably 95% of a Razor.  I will check back I want to hear your thoughts on it when you get to use it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
Viper is high quality glass just below Razor probably 95% of a Razor.  I will check back I want to hear your thoughts on it when you get to use it.
View Quote

I got it a few days ago and brought it with me on a day hike along with a pair of Swaro CL's. I also own 2x Viper PST gen 2 scopes and have owned a couple gen 1 PST's and Razor's in the past. The glass seems to be just slightly worse than the PST from what I can tell(although I didn't bring the PST's with me for obv reasons) and seems to fit between the gen 1 pst and gen 2 pst in terms of clarity. Under bright conditions, the image looks fine and I didn't feel like it was holding me back from seeing anything. When it started to get dark, there was definitely a noticeable difference between the Swaro's and Reece's despite the Reece's having a larger objective lens.

I'm not a huge fan of the controls. It is my first monocular and in my mind I was thinking I could operate it with one hand but the focus ring is in place where you need to use 1 hand to hold the monocular in place and 1 hand to adjust the ring. Idk if I'm being picky or if all monoculars are like this. The depth of field is very shallow on this optic so you need to adjust the ring constantly. I'm a fan of the footprint and I had no problem keeping the picture steady unlike some mid/full size binos I've owned in the past(hurr durr hit the gym I know). It also comes with a clip attached to it as well as a molle pouch so you can attach it to your chest rig. The reticle seems fine and easy to use but I wasn't really spotting or ranging anyone.

Just from this one experience I'm happy with its performance so far even if I criticized a lot about it, especially if you consider it was only $240 while the Swaro's and PST gen 2's I compared it to are 3x as expensive. I'll be adding it to my Recce larp chest rig with the intention of supplementing my Elcan 1/4x for PID and ranging and I'll continue to bring it hiking and shooting with me in the future so I can get a better feel for it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By taboopineapple:

I got it a few days ago and brought it with me on a day hike along with a pair of Swaro CL's. I also own 2x Viper PST gen 2 scopes and have owned a couple gen 1 PST's and Razor's in the past. The glass seems to be just slightly worse than the PST from what I can tell(although I didn't bring the PST's with me for obv reasons) and seems to fit between the gen 1 pst and gen 2 pst in terms of clarity. Under bright conditions, the image looks fine and I didn't feel like it was holding me back from seeing anything. When it started to get dark, there was definitely a noticeable difference between the Swaro's and Reece's despite the Reece's having a larger objective lens.

I'm not a huge fan of the controls. It is my first monocular and in my mind I was thinking I could operate it with one hand but the focus ring is in place where you need to use 1 hand to hold the monocular in place and 1 hand to adjust the ring. Idk if I'm being picky or if all monoculars are like this. The depth of field is very shallow on this optic so you need to adjust the ring constantly. I'm a fan of the footprint and I had no problem keeping the picture steady unlike some mid/full size binos I've owned in the past(hurr durr hit the gym I know). It also comes with a clip attached to it as well as a molle pouch so you can attach it to your chest rig. The reticle seems fine and easy to use but I wasn't really spotting or ranging anyone.

Just from this one experience I'm happy with its performance so far even if I criticized a lot about it, especially if you consider it was only $240 while the Swaro's and PST gen 2's I compared it to are 3x as expensive. I'll be adding it to my Recce larp chest rig with the intention of supplementing my Elcan 1/4x for PID and ranging and I'll continue to bring it hiking and shooting with me in the future so I can get a better feel for it.
View Quote

I like to hear the little gripes about things it means you are being honest in your review.  When I read reviews and people are 100% all in this is the greatest thing since sliced bread or 100% this is rip off trash junk it is hard to take the review seriously.  There are very few things I absolutely love 100% I would change absolutely nothing if I were making it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top