BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 9:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah, that looks like Iowa!  haha

nice shooting.  how much were you changing your wind when the flag dropped?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:31:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By taliv:
yeah, that looks like Iowa!  haha

nice shooting.  how much were you changing your wind when the flag dropped?
View Quote

It was actually Illinois, but it wasn't far across the state line in central Illinois.  All day the wind flags near the target were lying to us.  I rode out with Jim who runs the range and helped spot for us to paint targets and set up cameras at targets for 2 camera view.  I took in a lot of information about the wind from my own assessments and through talking with Jim about things I thought were going to happen because of the terrain features.  Most of what I thought was going to be the effect of the terrain on the wind he agreed with and said that is typically what we see here.  I was seeing the wind near the middle of the flight path having the biggest effects of my poi so I was judging most of my windage decisions off of that and not so much the flag near the target.  Because of the shape of the valley and the tree lines the wind at our firing position wasn't that bad, but near half way it was really ripping through there.

Here is some 2 camera split screen view of the 1280 yard target.  The zoom in video at the beginning was actually an after thought.  At the end of the day when we were packing up I decided to shoot a couple videos zooming in from our position so people could get an understanding of the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFATXdBpwd4

In the 1665 yard video that video is unedited which we laughed about later.  We started recording and fired several shots without getting any visual.  I had a feeling that we were hitting high into the grassy hill behind the target.  Because of the grass and it being slightly muddy that is why we couldn't get any visual.  I talked to Jim about this and he decided we should put one in the dirt in front of the target so we could see where we were at.  I did that and we were hitting high like I suspected, but also about 2 feet off on wind.  So we adjusted and fired a few more shots getting close to the target.  I decided we should take a break and let the barrel cool so we stopped recording during the break.  I had a feeling my dope was going to put me a touch high based upon the last shot before our break.  So we started recording again to make another attempt and I aimed at the bottom edge of the plate and hit the edge on the first shot after break.  

Here is also a video of mama lefty weaver shooting the hostage target at 450 yards with the 223 this video is of her first shots of the day.  We loaded her up 5 and here they are in this video.  She did get a lot of good hits on various targets and even a couple hits on a target at 942 yards with the 223.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzUbUjWAq-g
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What load and gun were you using?  Are your rounds subsonic at that distance?  Man, that's some long range for a 260.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a budget custom build using a Remington 700 action, 26" McGowen barrel, Bell and Carlson adjustable stock, nightforce 20 moa base and rings, and an SWFA 12X super sniper scope.  Target at 1665 yards is 22" wide octagon which is a little under 1.5 moa at that distance.

I'm using 139 grain lapua scenar bullets at 2830 feet per second using 42.8 grains of H4350 powder in Lapua brass.

I was at about 722 feet above sea level temp was 35 degrees so we were in a negative DA.  In those conditions I was dropping below the speed of sound some where around 1365 yards.  Flight time to the target was about 3.25 seconds.  Bullet drop was about 1390 inches or almost 116 feet.  Windage adjustment was 3.4 mils.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top