Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 10:27:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jwise]
I put a new Ballistic Advantage 18" (rifle-length gas tube) on my Precision AR.

I took her out to the range to try some different factory loads to see what it likes (second time out with the new barrel).

Admittedly, I was in a hurry. I tried to not let that affect each shot-break, but it definitely sped up the rounds per minute that went through the barrel.

I went through eight different loads.

At first, the rounds grouped high, but otherwise in a pattern as you might expect.

As I worked through the different loads, the rounds started to string vertically.

I went back and shot another group of Fed. Gold Medal Match and it also strung out vertically, whereas it didn't the first time. I took my time, and put five more rounds through the tube waiting between each shot (I wasn't really 'waiting' between shots before more than just re-acquiring the target, breathing, and breaking the trigger).

This is what I got:

Other than what looks like a flyer, this group looks like the first 69gr FGMM group (which I'm happy about).

How much time do you wait between each shot?

Do you agree that the vertical stringing is the result of the barrel heating up from rapid shooting? Or do you think it was just shooter's error and I'm blaming it on barrel temperature?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Vertical stinging is often the result of firing at different places in the breathing cycle.Thats what I would suspect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you shot it without the can?

What is the progression of the string? In other words do the shots start low and work their way up, or are they random up and down?

That butt stock isn't helping. For now, move it all the way back and adjust the scope accordingly. Plan on getting a precision oriented stock. What are you using for a rear support?

Move the bipod as far forward as possible.

The gun looks out of balance to me, but hard to tell in a pic. Looks barrel heavy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldmikey:
Vertical stinging is often the result of firing at different places in the breathing cycle.Thats what I would suspect.
View Quote
Inhale, exhale partly, hold it, break. Every shot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:
Have you shot it without the can?

What is the progression of the string? In other words do the shots start low and work their way up, or are they random up and down?

That butt stock isn't helping. For now, move it all the way back and adjust the scope accordingly. Plan on getting a precision oriented stock. What are you using for a rear support?

Move the bipod as far forward as possible.

The gun looks out of balance to me, but hard to tell in a pic. Looks barrel heavy.
View Quote
I was not using the can when conducting Ammo testing.

I was shooting five round groups without breaking contact on the rifle. Therefore, I did not look through my spotting scope after each round.  I don't know what the progression was.

I like adjustable length stocks, especially for transport/storage and it is at my favorite setting.

The bipod is all the way forward.

I shot over bags (front and rear) off a bench. Wasn't using the bipod.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:26:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]
I warm my barrel up and keep it warm. I can shoot 30 in a row maybe 4-5 shots a minute without stringing. I can shoot 15-20 shot groups with my 24" AR(6 pos car stock with comb attachment) with no stringing. Bipod and rear bag.

Exhale completely, shoot before the inhale.

Is your scope low enough so you can rest your head on the stock and get a good sight picture?

See what I have to use on mine to get a proper consistent cheek weld.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwise] [#6]
The scope height is perfect. The Larue SPR-E mount is made for standard comb height.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My vertical is often the stock not in the ideal same position in shoulder and related is natural point of aim (pushing up, pulling down), and trigger control.

Or the barrel and load just aren't working.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:
That butt stock isn't helping. For now, move it all the way back and adjust the scope accordingly. Plan on getting a precision oriented stock.  
View Quote
Help me understand what a PRS or other stock will do for me? Do you suspect the CTR is moving slightly, or does it just not offer comb height adjustment?

I'm willing to go in for a new stock if you think it would help. I've already thought about it, but I like being able to collapse it to fit in a case or in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jwise:

Help me understand what a PRS or other stock will do for me? Do you suspect the CTR is moving slightly, or does it just not offer comb height adjustment?

I'm willing to go in for a new stock if you think it would help. I've already thought about it, but I like being able to collapse it to fit in a case or in the safe.
View Quote
Considering I use an M4 stock on two of my "precision" rifles I don't see how a different stock will help.

Seems to work for me, one barrel is a Wilson Combat other is a Brownells, nothing special.

6.5G

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top