Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alderleet:
This entire thread has made me realize that photographers are absolute retards.
Ball heads should have never once been on the option block to stabilize a long heavy object on a tripod.

We figured this shit out a long time ago. They’re called fluid heads. They’re for video cameras, and they better stabilize weight front to back, and cut out side to side cant.
View Quote

I know a professional photographer that would both disagree with, and embarrass you for that statement.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dabster:

These all appear to cost more than EIGHT TIMES MORE than the pig. Are you saying that a functional tripod is going to cost that much?

View Quote

Hell no.  (RRS owner)

You can make anything work from a Pig Saddle with an 0311 to an RRS with their shooting-specific ball heads.   The difference is that the high end tripods/heads will be a little steadier in some positions, faster to adjust to get on target, lighter, usually be able to be set up flatter, and adjust (via the head) to a larger range of tilt/pan without having to re-jigger your position or compromise rigidity by adding height (for example, ball heads under a saddle)

An 0311 with a Pig Saddle is not a huge investment and can be a good learning platform; there is a definite learning curve for figuring out how to use these and get the steadiness and consistency you want, and how to control POI shifts from rest/bipod going to the tripod.

IMHO the saddles work best without a ball head under them, especially if you're on a an AL or magnesium tripod or a less expensive carbon fiber.   If you have a level on the rifle and point one leg straight at the target you can quickly adjust your overall cant by changing the height of one of the rear legs.   Having the line between the two rear legs perpendicular to the target minimizes lateral POI shift on recoil as long as you're square behind your setup.

Also, a lot of wiggle in less expensive setups can be taken out with downward sling wrap pressure between the fore and aft of the rifle, or - if standing - by running paracord on QD swivels between the fore and aft of the rifle and stepping downwards on it to pull the whole setup towards the ground.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#4]
innorel rt90c

Just about 300 bucks, carbon fiber, super strong.

I use one in nrl and prs matches. I have an anvil30 ball head on there but you could honestly just use a sandbag and be fine.

I keep it in my pack with a walkstool and can drop a stool and tripod anywhere and be just about bench stable.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top