Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2019 10:55:48 AM EDT
I'm finally going to pull the trigger and order the Mask HD suppressor for my CZ 455.  The only issue is that it is the varmint rifle without a threaded barrel.  I have run into a dilemma of either having the barrel cut and threaded, or to purchase an entirely new barrel already cut.  Or do I start over and get something new that will accept a new suppressor?
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Mattieg:
I'm finally going to pull the trigger and order the Mask HD suppressor for my CZ 455.  The only issue is that it is the varmint rifle without a threaded barrel.  I have run into a dilemma of either having the barrel cut and threaded, or to purchase an entirely new barrel already cut.  Or do I start over and get something new that will accept a new suppressor?
View Quote
I asked a gunsmith about this recently because I have a CZ 452 that I'd like to suppress. I think the 455 has a barrel change system so if they're available, I'd just get the new barrel and have to worry about it. For my 452 I'd have to get it cut.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like the only options are to order a lilja barrel or one directly from CZ.  Any idea on other reputable companies out there that won't sacrifice accuracy or my bank account?
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:39:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#3]
If the gun shoots tight, have it threaded.  Gem-tech threaded my 452 Varmint, but I don't think they do it anymore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Whistle Pig makes a great CZ barrel.  Plus, you can save few lbs at the same time.  Lilja of course makes a great barrel, and there are a few others out there.  CZ may be the least expensive, but Lilja and Whistle Pig may shoot better.

Unless your gunsmith is going to charge you a great price for threading, I'd just buy a new barrel.  Lilja is the most, $440.  Whistle Pig will run you around $200-$250, CZ is the least expensive around $150-$190.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m in a similar situation with the same gun. I didn’t want a 16.5 or a 24 in barrel, so I bought the 20” with plans to buy a new barrel. As it turns out, in my research the barrels are not quite the great system that cz promised. They were fitted at the factory, so the aftermarket barrels don’t offer great results. That’s why so few company’s offer a aftermarket upgrade, and lots of company’s that did previously discontinued them. (This was told to me by federson if I remember correctly). Supposedly this is why the 455 was replaced by the 457.

As mentioned if it shoots well I’d have it threaded, that’s my plan. Otherwise pick up a new rifle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Call ADCO?  That would be my first stop for any barrel questions.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunner442] [#7]
If you decide to thread it give these guys a call. Cheap, fast and great quality. Did a 10/22 bull barrel for me, just as accurate after as before.

Class3machining
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I would just thread your factory barrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunner442:
If you decide to thread it give these guys a call. Cheap, fast and great quality. Did a 10/22 bull barrel for me, just as accurate after as before.

Class3machining
View Quote
Thanks, just sent them an email.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Class3machining
View Quote
I've had 2 barrels threaded and 1 of those cut then threaded.
Fantastic guy to work with, great machining and comms.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Great to hear!  I just sent it to him yesterday and he has been extremely helpful and a nice down to earth guy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mattieg:
Looks like the only options are to order a lilja barrel or one directly from CZ.  Any idea on other reputable companies out there that won't sacrifice accuracy or my bank account?
View Quote

Lilja, Shilen, and Benchmark all make great rimfire barrels.

I'm not familiar with CZ barrels, but if it is choked near the muzzle end, you do not want to cut the choke out (which would destroy accuracy). Replacing it with a dedicated barrel for suppressing seems like the better idea.

I think no matter what your wallet dictates, your wait time for a new barrel is going to be a big indicator here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45FMJoe] [#13]

Class3machining
View Quote

Morgan chopped my 20" 10/22 bull barrel to 18" and threaded it. He did amazing work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Class3machining. Had my 6.5CM barrel threaded there, great job, quick turn around and a decent price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in the "if your barrel is accurate enough for you just have it threaded" boat. Shouldn't cost to much compared to buying a new barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top