Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2018 5:40:43 AM EDT
Hey guys I just bought a new Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod for my RPR 6.5 creedmoore.
The only size they had @ the store was the 44" 27-45 cal.
With the 6.5cm technically being .264 this rod I have is too big.

But I ran it thru my bore and bore guide and it seems to fit perfectly.

My question is , am I good to go to keep this size? Or do I need to drop down to the 22-25 cal when they get one in.

It doesn't feel like the rod is touching inside of rifling so I think I'm in the clear?

Any input appreciated as I don't want to wreck my barrel
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:02:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
I have a similar Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod...  the brass end measures 0.245" so the clearance inside your bore would be about 0.020" (0.010" on each side).  While that might be OK when cleaning a relatively clean bore, what happens if there is some grit in your bore?  If you are cleaning a plinking rifle, I don't think it would be a problem but if you are talking about a "precision" rifle, I'd suggest going down to the recommended size.  Alternatively, you could just run a boresnake through the bore to remove any "big" grit before using the rod...

Personally, I haven't used a rod in my bore (except to push bullets out of the throat of my rifle when I am using my Hornady comparitor to find my lands CBTO) since break-in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys I think I'll just play it safe and return it for the correct size.
Only thing that sucks is they didn't have the tipton in the correct size.
They did however have a Montana extreme rod in correct length and caliber.
It looks like a nicer rod but it's more $ and it's coated vs the carbon fiber
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I started with the same one, had to return it for the smaller one.

It “fit”,  it was extremely tight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pilotscrappy:
Thanks for the info guys I think I'll just play it safe and return it for the correct size.
Only thing that sucks is they didn't have the tipton in the correct size.
They did however have a Montana extreme rod in correct length and caliber.
It looks like a nicer rod but it's more $ and it's coated vs the carbon fiber
View Quote
Amazon!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thx guys got the correct size on the way
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top