Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2019 7:24:34 PM EDT
Evening all,

Had a tikka T3x CTR for a couple years now, started with factory trigger and was occasionally having issues with trigger (firing when closing bolt, happens when dry firing and actually shooting).

Recently bought a timney trigger thinking that would fix it. I installed it and dry fired multiple times with no issues. Then decided to lighten the pull weight, now I’m having the same problem again.

Any idea what’s causing this? Ive only adjusted the 2nd stage pull weight, nothing else, the adjustment screw is only sticking out of the trigger housing by a couple threads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
At first blush it sounds to me like the notch on the striker/firing pin that engages the sear in both triggers may have been cut a little shallow. Heres my thinking. With stock set up bolt the rifle is firing on closing. Big red flag. With the usually excellent Timney trigger it is NOT doing so until you try to lighten the pull past a certain amount. Sounds like something is out of spec. Feel free to send me some pics (close ups) if you can, of the underside of the bolt. If it were me I would put the original trigger back in the gun and contact Tikka. That gun is a potential tragedy/lawsuit waiting to happen. I'm sure they would want to make it right for you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I can get my Cooper to do that if I set it scary light. Test it with a pull gage and see what it says, I bet its below the manufactures spec.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#3]
Send the gun back with the original trigger.

Could be tolerance stacking issues or more likely an issue with the striker/ firing pin engagement tab thingy.   Short or the angle is off.

The new trigger is band aid not a fix to this most likely.

I never worked on a tikka, closest is an M39.  (That’s a bit of a joke sako and tikka made M39s).  I have adjusted m700/40x, fn spr, Winchester, and Cz triggers.

A certain amount of weight setting is required for safety to hold the engagement surfaces in contact.   If the sear engagement is light pressure, or at an improper angle, or not enough depth of engagement then you will have the striker slip off the sear.

I prefer to lightly dress the surfaces and set to have plenty of sear engagement.   If the rough high spots are gone then the extra engagement isn’t objectionable.   No need to polish mirror bright and accidentally change the sear engagement angle.

Anyway tikka lawyers likely don’t want you to have their gun doing that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#4]
Its a sear engagement issue.  My Sako L579 will do that if I get the trigger pull too light.   It has a great stock trigger and loves trigger pull down to as low as 2 lbs, but not below.  I don't know if the Tikka trigger geometry is the same, but Sako is its parent company.

It would be nice if OP were to come back, update and close the thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top