Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2021 6:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17]
Is this an easy thing to do?   I am failing so far.
OK, maybe I shouldn't have started this, I have a mountain tactical rail I want to put on it.

I have used some PB blaster, tapped it a bit, waiting, no joy.  OTOH, its a real pain finding any solid bit to fit in those flat heads.

Note the customized skid marks from an attempt with a power tool.
Attachment Attached File

I wasn't expecting it to be this difficult.  I think the only thing I accomplished so far is remove the front stop? screw.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#1]
And a side question.

I upgraded the bottom plastic on my Sporter with Mountain Tacticals metal version.

I looked at 2 of their videos, and there was no mention of torque spec.

What should be used for the bolts on the bottom metal?

What is factory standard with the plastic bottom with its embedded washer?

I am seeing torque specs (Googling) from 35-52 lbs/inch.

EDIT
Found on Tikkashooters.com
35 for wood laminate
45 for synthetic
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 8:19:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#2]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:11:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#4]
Are you talking about a clothes iron just sitting on the rail for 10 minutes or so?

Would a heat gun be too low powered?

Are you separating the action and barrel from the synthetic stock or can it take the heat fine?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably not the right way to do it, but I used the very front screw (for a heat shroud) to lift up the front edge.  I applied a little bit of heat with a hair dryer then screwed he front screw in instead of out. It lifted up the edge a tiny bit and I was able to get the edge of a flathead screwdriver under. Then I just rotated and the rail popped off.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TripleJ:
Probably not the right way to do it, but I used the very front screw (for a heat shroud) to lift up the front edge.  I applied a little bit of heat with a hair dryer then screwed he front screw in instead of out. It lifted up the edge a tiny bit and I was able to get the edge of a flathead screwdriver under. Then I just rotated and the rail popped off.
View Quote

I'll remember that....  If I ever get the !@#$@#$@#$@#$ screws out..
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:08:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#8]
Given the extra effort I bailed on removing the mount.

I did upgrade the recoil lug to the Mountain Tactical steel one (which probably doesn't matter that much on a 223)

I previously upgraded the bolt shroud to the metal one from Mountain Tactical.

T3 223 CTR with SWFA 3x9 HD (mil quad) mounted w/ Aadmount rings and caps.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#10]
And done.
20-30 seconds with heat gun resting on rail above each screw, a few light taps and then screw removed.
Some tapping on under side of sides of rail and done.  I don't know what will clean the excess glue on top of receiver so I left it.

Old rail to left, new rail (Mountain Tactical 20MOA) mounted, a little overzealous with leftmost bolt when tightening, half stripped like an oaf.

I'll do the trigger spring upgrade next, while everything is out.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top