Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 10:49:35 PM EDT
Any thoughts on these rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor? Looking for a cheap rifle for long range plinking of steel. Nothing serious just for fun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I will be ordering a 6.5 Compass in the next few days. I have an OSS 762 TI coming in some time next year and I plan to hunt with the suppressed Compass in Pa for White Tails. I am looking at scopes for it and I may buy a Trijicon Accupoiunt TR20-1G. My son has one on his suppressed 700 and I like.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to be ordering one this week after picking one up in 308 during black Friday.  Cannot believe how accurate this rifle is and at this pricepoint.  I paid 209 after rebate and today she printed .7moa (5 shots) with fed 175 smk.  Nothing I used was over 1moa and those groups will tighten up as I get used to the trigger/rifle and my hands aren't freezing when shooting

blown away by the performance for this price
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
How well will this work for a long range pinker? I've got a range out to 900 yards with steel.  I'm just looking to be able to make hits at that range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crash1433] [#5]
I picked one up when they had the first round of rebates. It came with a vortex scope. In between getting it and getting to shoot it I found one of the discounted monarchs from Walmart so I put that on it. My first range trip with green box Remington ammo it did a 1.25 inch three shot group. That was me rushing as I didn't have a lot of time that day but it was good enough for deer hunting. I'll get back out in the spring with better ammo and see what it can really do.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Evile:
How well will this work for a long range pinker? I've got a range out to 900 yards with steel.  I'm just looking to be able to make hits at that range.
View Quote
there are some youtube vids of these out to 1k.  No reason to suggest it won't do well at distance either.  Now the barrel is a thinner profile than the heavy longer-range ones we typically see for that endeavor but I saw two vids of the rifle keeping moa out to the 4 digit mark
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

there are some youtube vids of these out to 1k.  No reason to suggest it won't do well at distance either.  Now the barrel is a thinner profile than the heavy longer-range ones we typically see for that endeavor but I saw two vids of the rifle keeping moa out to the 4 digit mark
View Quote
Yep it is going to heat up relatively quick but my nephew has the .223 TC Compass that is a tack driver. I was shocked to see a sub moa 5 shot group at 200yards when I helped him zero it. The group was slightly smaller than a .223 spent case so less than 1.75inches.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:
Yep it is going to heat up relatively quick but my nephew has the .223 TC Compass that is a tack driver. I was shocked to see a sub moa 5 shot group at 200yards when I helped him zero it. The group was slightly smaller than a .223 spent case so less than 1.75inches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:

Not surprised but will say, the barrel may get hot but I didn't experience it stringing them out like you'd suspect.  I went through almost 100 rounds and my last grouping was Hornady 168 eld which was under 1 inch and the barrel was definitely not cold.  I was trying out different brands, grains etc to see what it liked.  I'm sure my groups would have been better if I went slower, it wasn't so cold and I was used to the trigger.  I'm heading out this weekend to see what she can do with 2 loads and I'll be more focused on cool barrel and accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I will end up with one of these. Gotta see how much I have left after I do my fence.  I might just buy the rifle and get a scope for it later, probably a PA 4-14
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Not surprised but will say, the barrel may get hot but I didn't experience it stringing them out like you'd suspect.  I went through almost 100 rounds and my last grouping was Hornady 168 eld which was under 1 inch and the barrel was definitely not cold.  I was trying out different brands, grains etc to see what it liked.  I'm sure my groups would have been better if I went slower, it wasn't so cold and I was used to the trigger.  I'm heading out this weekend to see what she can do with 2 loads and I'll be more focused on cool barrel and accuracy.
View Quote
I believe you, sometimes you get a good barrel like that on cheap guns. Johnny's Reloading Bench channel on youtube has a lot of 6.5 CM load data. He said his barrel was almost too hot to touch and the groups were still quite good in the video.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I will end up with one of these. Gotta see how much I have left after I do my fence.  I might just buy the rifle and get a scope for it later, probably a PA 4-14
View Quote
Hard not to with current pricing. Kentucky Gun Co has them for $260 and you get a $50 rebate from TC.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Other than operating the bolt would I have any issues shooting this left handed?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Check this scope out SWFA 10x42 I did some digging on this versus the PA you mentioned and am going with this. They make MOA turrets too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out Johnny's reloading bench on youtube. Seems to be a great budget target rifle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I got to shoot one of these yesterday at the range. Guy had just got his and he let me fire a few shots. 200 and 300 yards were easy.  One of his friend had a Ruger American predator also in 6.5, the barrel on the ruger was definitely thicker.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Other than operating the bolt would I have any issues shooting this left handed?
View Quote
Nope. I shoot rifles left handed.

It actually feels awkward to shoot a left hand bolt gun since I have been using right hand rifles my whole life.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#18]
you were actually less than moa as you are supposed to measure from the impact points
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The TC Compass is a LOT of rifle for the money.  I have one in 22-250 and it is a tackdriver.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#20]

you were actually less than moa as you are supposed to measure from the impact points
View Quote
Thanks!

I have since shot it a lot more - mostly with 180s.  The $19 brake is surprisingly effective as the 180s seem to recoil the same as the 125 grain loads I started with.

My next goal is to get to 900yards (longest range available to me here near the Swamp).  For that, I bought some 220 grain bullets and H1000, but have not loaded them yet.

Might also need a scope with more adjustment (the SWFA SS seem good - but anything inexpensive with similar adjustment range to consider?).

Overall, the $197 Compass shoots FAR better than a rifle that inexpensive should.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Thanks!

I have since shot it a lot more - mostly with 180s.  The $19 brake is surprisingly effective as the 180s seem to recoil the same as the 125 grain loads I started with.

My next goal is to get to 900yards (longest range available to me here near the Swamp).  For that, I bought some 220 grain bullets and H1000, but have not loaded them yet.

Might also need a scope with more adjustment (the SWFA SS seem good - but anything inexpensive with similar adjustment range to consider?).

Overall, the $197 Compass shoots FAR better than a rifle that inexpensive should.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Thanks!

sportsmanguide has vortex viper 6.5-20x44 with 30mm tube on sale for 299.  I think that is an outstanding price for that scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top