Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 10:50:05 PM EDT
Aside from buying dies, bullets and brass, wondering if it’s worth the effort.

Inside 600 is it really worth it?

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a shitty shooting 308 that I am thinking about doing the same thing as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Inside 600 a 308 will work fine.  Although a 308 can get to 1000, it will be really slow and will likely frustrate you.  6.5 creedmoor gives you 1000-1200 yards with ease.  If you like the idea of trying a new cartridge that opens up possibility of longer distances or if you are bored and want to try reloading something new, go for it. If you are not enthusiastic about a new caliber and are under 600, I don't see the rationale.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s my understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong) that .308 feeds much more reliably in a semi auto. 6.5 has troubles because of the long narrow bullet and sharp shoulder. POF stopped producing 6.5 rifles because they couldn’t get it to feed as reliably as the .308.

If this was a bolt gun, I’d say 6.5 all day and twice on Sundays.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Went down this road with 260 Rem (very similar to 6.5 CM) and it was a bad experience. It functioned OK but never was as accurate as I was hoping. When I hung the can on the end, things really went to hell. Ruined a lot of Lapua brass and cracked the bolt catch during a match.

Have a Tikka CTR in 260 on order to attempt to scratch that LR itch.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:
Went down this road with 260 Rem (very similar to 6.5 CM) and it was a bad experience. It functioned OK but never was as accurate as I was hoping. When I hung the can on the end, things really went to hell. Ruined a lot of Lapua brass and cracked the bolt catch during a match.

Good luck.
View Quote

Yeah, I picked up a 6.5 Tikka T3x for $500 last spring, had the barrel cut to 18”. With a can and factory Hornady 140gr BTHP (the cheap stuff) it’s a 1/2 MOA rifle. Can’t touch that in a $2500 6.5 semi auto and that’ll act up when dirty or doesn’t like the ammo.

I don’t have enough experience with long range autoloaders to tell you not to get one in 6.5, but I’ve seen enough to suggest I wouldn’t get my hopes up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#6]
will be better in the wind for sure, thats about it inside 600
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:22:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been shooting 6.5 Creedmoor in my DPMS gasser since 2012, and I've never had any feeding issues.  I use DPMS, C Products, and AR Stoner mags.  

What Rob said about having it gassed correctly is spot on.  My gun wears a 24" tube, and it came from the factory as a rifle-length gas system.  It was rough on brass.  I converted it to extended length (rifle +2") gas and it doesn't beat up brass as badly.

That said, for 600 and in I see no reason to leave 308 for 6.5.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely worth it. 6.5 creedmoor is in a point in its life where is commonly available, lower recoil, better ballistics, and you can still shoot the heavy bullets if you want. 6.5 creedmoor can do everything .308 can do and then some. I switched to 6.5 and never looked back
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BBTC_MH] [#11]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:
It’s my understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong) that .308 feeds much more reliably in a semi auto. 6.5 has troubles because of the long narrow bullet and sharp shoulder. POF stopped producing 6.5 rifles because they couldn’t get it to feed as reliably as the .308.

If this was a bolt gun, I’d say 6.5 all day and twice on Sundays.
View Quote

Interesting.  Anyone else experience this?

EDIT: answered already.  Ok, I’ll continue to mull this over. Thank you for the replies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't 6.5 eat barrels?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#13]
You want to go from grown man to soy boy...You do you brother!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]
If it’s for general target shooting or range fun, the .308 is more than sufficient and there’s no need to switch if you don’t need to.  This is dependent upon the .308 barrel not needing replacement as it is.
The .308 did a plenty good job for decades putting down two-legged targets, so getting a 6.5 is not needed until you start pushing the distance.  The 6.5CM starts surpassing the .308 with demonstrable effect only after you start pushing past that 500-600yd mark, which is outside of the range you plan on using.  If this was a rifle you were planning on pushing regularly to 800yds+, the 6.5CM would make more sense.

If you are looking at the 6.5 seriously, I’d recommend getting/building a separate complete upper and not completely wipe out the .308 from your inventory.  Or, if you’re looking at 6.5CM seriously for future hunting, target, or competition use, I’d recommend you look into a bolt gun as opposed to a semi-auto.  Get the most out of the cartridge with the least amount of effort.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
.308 is very capable to 800 meters. How accurate is your current rifle? How much ammo and reloading supplies do you have stocked up? How many rounds down the barrel?

.308 gives good barrels life, usually 4,000 to 6,000 rounds before match grade accuracy drops off. If you are happy with your rifles performance on target why would you want to switch calibers?

I would shoot the first barrel out before buying a new one. That's when I would decide whether to go .308 again or try something new.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BBTC_MH:

View Quote

Probably not inside of 600.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]
No not really.

Inside of 600 I just shoot 223 with 75/77s.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
It really comes down on how you plan to use it. Mission dictates gear!

USSCOM adopted 6.5 creed because it doubled hit probability at 1k meters.

I would say get both if you are able. Shoot both and decide what works best for you and your purpose.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BBTC_MH:

View Quote

Inside of 600?  Shoot a .223.  

If no .223, I wouldn't bother changing all of my shit over to gear up for a Creed though.  

Don't get me wrong, it does many things much better than the venerable .308, but the real benefits are realized at about that 5/600 yard mark, which you won't be shooting past, so I wouldn't bother.

And I say all of that as a hardcore, very dedicated 6.5 guy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:14:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Good luck.
View Quote

What combination of barrel length and gas system length were you using when you experienced those problems?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BBTC_MH] [#22]
Update….

Got a barrel, dies, brass, and components.  

When I get around to changing over,,,,,,,maybe I’ll update by 2022.

Deer season this year is gonna be local (thought I had some trips planned but they are a no-go so far).   So all shots within 75yds most likely. So got some 110gr GMX for the 300AAC and gonnna see how that works.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Last year I built an AR-10 using Aero Precision receivers and a 16" Ballistic Advantage Barrel and BCG. Couple of months
ago I picked up a SIG 716i which has a 16" barrel as well. Not that having 2 x AR-10 .308's is a bad thing but the brain is
bored so I decided to try something else with some parts I had and some I needed to order. I pulled out an extra upper
receiver and ordered a 20" BA 6.5 Creedmor barrel and BCG to make a new upper for the AR-10. Just got it all put together
over this past weekend and will get out maybe tomorrow or Saturday. I thought of replacing just the barrel but decided
it was to my advantage to have a second 16" .308 carbine if the need arises but this will allow me to see what a long range
shooter is all about.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Nope not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ratskrad:
Last year I built an AR-10 using Aero Precision receivers and a 16" Ballistic Advantage Barrel and BCG. Couple of months
ago I picked up a SIG 716i which has a 16" barrel as well. Not that having 2 x AR-10 .308's is a bad thing but the brain is
bored so I decided to try something else with some parts I had and some I needed to order. I pulled out an extra upper
receiver and ordered a 20" BA 6.5 Creedmor barrel and BCG to make a new upper for the AR-10. Just got it all put together
over this past weekend and will get out maybe tomorrow or Saturday. I thought of replacing just the barrel but decided
it was to my advantage to have a second 16" .308 carbine if the need arises but this will allow me to see what a long range
shooter is all about.
View Quote

@ratskrad
just as a curiosity, did you try out the Aero upper, either the 16" 308 or the 20" 6.5CM, on your Sig 716i lower?  it's a question of fit, compatibility, since you have both.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, switch.

Flatter shooting.  Sure, you can make .308 work.  But 6.5 is a lot more forgiving if that's really 570 or 622 yards.  

As to lower recoil... eh, overstated, but some.  

Same cost ammo, same downrange effect.  Downrange is a lot longer with 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Yes, switch.

Flatter shooting.  Sure, you can make .308 work.  But 6.5 is a lot more forgiving if that's really 570 or 622 yards.  

As to lower recoil... eh, overstated, but some.  

Same cost ammo, same downrange effect.  Downrange is a lot longer with 6.5 CM.
View Quote

This all day.  Where did all this .308 love come from?

Apples to apples the ammo is the same price unless you're looking for plinking junk then you get more options with a 308.
The 6.5 has no issues feeding. You'd know if there was because it would be all over Arfcom.
Just swap the barrel and go.  Your system may need a HP bolt, it may not.
Almost all semi autos benefit from gas and spring tuning but most people don't wait for a rifle to wear in before messing with it.
Shoot 6.5 and 308 side by side at distance and there's no comparison.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I think it's absolutely worth it. I swapped out my buddies Aero M5 to a 6.5 creed barrel and it made a huge difference in recoil, and made making hits out to 1,000y like cheating...
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I would just build another upper and have both...
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:46:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eight] [#30]
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
Apples to apples the ammo is the same price unless you're looking for plinking junk then you get more options with a 308.
View Quote

Just curious, what does good match-grade 6.5CM cost?  I'm seeing ~$2.50/rd for factory ammo.  Good match-grade .308 can be had for ~$1.60/rd.  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong 6.5 ammo, or not looking in the right place.  I'm just learning at this point.

I'm considering the same move from .308 to 6.5CM within the same distances as OP, and barrel life and cost/rd is what is holding me back at this point. And given that there isn't much benefit inside 600 yards, I'm not seeing it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:24:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#32]
Originally Posted By Eight:

Just curious, what does good match-grade 6.5CM cost?  I'm seeing ~$2.50/rd for factory ammo.  Good match-grade .308 can be had for ~$1.60/rd.  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong 6.5 ammo, or not looking in the right place.  I'm just learning at this point.

I'm considering the same move from .308 to 6.5CM within the same distances as OP, and barrel life and cost/rd is what is holding me back at this point. And given that there isn't much benefit inside 600 yards, I'm not seeing it.
View Quote

This isn't 2020. Those prices aren't coming back...ever. Components are more expensive now and with an increase in demand, manufacturers got a much-needed opportunity to cover some of those cost increases.

I bought a CTR in 6.5 about a year ago and frankly, with ammo prices the way they are and the distances I can shoot...I regret it. The 308 works just fine. I drank the kool-aid and while I like the 6.5 and it is undoubtedly better than 308 at 1k, it is not materially better at 500 unless you're shooting tiny targets. I bought the gun based on "on paper" performance, not what I actually need and the realities of the ammo world right now. Mistake.

I'll admit, it depends a lot on what you want the gun for though. For some uses, cheap M80 ball is useful and provides reloading brass. For others, it's a waste of time.

Edit: To qualify this a little bit...my entire beef with 6.5 is ammo price right now, which I don't foresee changing much. That said, I plan to keep the gun and shoot out the 6.5 barrel. In the time it takes me to do that, we'll have a better picture of the ammo situation and the longevity of 6.5CM and I'll decide then if it gets rebarrelled in 308WIN instead of 6.5CM. So I'm not saying it was a complete bust, but I sure could be shooting cheaper right now with a 308.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:02:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: magnum_99] [#33]

Good luck.
View Quote

I built a 260 Rem AR and it was a little tricky to get dialed in (bullet seating depth and powder selection and charge made big differences) once it was it shot one hole groups at 100 yards.

It's definitely not as easy to dial in as 308, but if you start with a high quality barrel (Krieger, Lilja etc.), use mags where you can use longer than standard depths, and have the skill to dial it in, they can be super accurate.

I had no problem with it feeding. An adjustable gas block is required and a heavy buffer helps too.

Components are the issue right now and I swapped the 260 barrel for a 308.

If you run the ballistics numbers, 260 Rem and 6.5CM have substantially better performance past 600 yards than 308, especially with high B.C. 140 grain bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top