Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2018 9:50:45 PM EDT
Any input? Do any of you own one? Are you happy with it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Stepping up from the Grendel? I am curious on what the recoil is like on the CM. As you know I cannot do to much recoil.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yarael:
Stepping up from the Grendel? I am curious on what the recoil is like on the CM. As you know I cannot do to much recoil.
View Quote
Yes but just for really long range fun for about about a dollar a shot vs what it costs for 338 LM and 50 bmg. Less recoil than a 308, but the rifle I'm looking at weighs 12.5 lbs and has a big ass brake on it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have played with the MPA rifles at a local gun shop for the last two years. They're a little rich for me, but damn they are nice.

I really like their grip, with the knuckle rest so that you can only physically move the tip of your finger when pulling the trigger. I also really line their stock and all of the adjustments.

I can't speak for how they shoot, but the feel of their rifles and attention to detail are amazing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:39:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#4]
edit

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have their rifle, but I do have one of their chassis, the MPA BA chassis, absolutely love it...the fit and finish is excellent, and it flat out works...Only issue I have heard about MPA is it takes time to get shit from them if they don't have it in stock..I have heard Core Shooting is the best place to get stuff from if MPA doesn't have it in stock..

My rifle is a R-700 in 300rum....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:13:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#6]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I don't have their rifle, but I do have one of their chassis, the MPA BA chassis, absolutely love it...the fit and finish is excellent, and it flat out works...Only issue I have heard about MPA is it takes time to get shit from them if they don't have it in stock..I have heard Core Shooting is the best place to get stuff from if MPA doesn't have it in stock..  

My rifle is a R-700 in 300rum....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2679_JPG-727340.JPG
View Quote

I'll second that you should order from a vendor.  There's some new old stock out there so verify that you're buying a rifle with latest upgrades (RAT rail system, New level with new mounting system, MDT magazine, etc).
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The chassis is very popular and modular.  Phil has done some cool stuff as far as that goes and listening to shooter feedback.   Their rifles seems to mostly be shooters out of the ones that they do the barrel work on.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:19:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buckshot_jim] [#8]
Originally Posted By rob78:

I'll second that you should order from a vendor.  I think I paid $2670 for a new MPA 6.5BA.  There's some new old stock out there so verify that you're buying a rifle with latest upgrades (RAT rail system, New level with new mounting system, MDT magazine, etc). I got my rifle in about 7 days from the order being placed.
View Quote
Thank all of you for the replies. I am excited. I may buy one.

I manage a gun store. I have one in stock and can buy at cost.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:20:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#9]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
The chassis is very popular and modular.  Phil has done some cool stuff as far as that goes and listening to shooter feedback.   Their rifles seems to mostly be shooters out of the ones that they do the barrel work on.
View Quote

Its a great company
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Yesterday during load development, I had one load shoot in the 3's.  The next load was consistent in the 4's.  That's shooting off a plastic fold up table.

My primary concern was the barrel when I ordered.  It appears that they know what they're doing and haven't changed anything with the way Spencer barrels are produced.

I'm a Kreiger, Lilja, Shilen, Rock Creek fan, but provided I get decent barrel life I'll put another Spencer barrel in this rifle.
View Quote
Thank you especially for your input
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#11]
At the price point they appear to be a great deal. I am looking to rebuild a bolt action right now and I keep going back and forth between a rebuild or just buying the MPA rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, they have lots of choices, including anything new can be refitted to an older chassis, but here is what I have found to be worth the have...First do the bag rider instead of the monopod unless you really like monopods, I find a rear bag to be more steady...Next, do the spigot mount..it really helps getting the bipod out there further, I did mine with the Swiss-Arca mount instead of a picatinny rail(An NC atlas screws right onto their Swiss-Arca plate as well)...which means the bipod can go right from the spigot and right onto the Swiss-Arca rail machined into the chassis...If you use a magneto speed, they have a mount for it as well, with or without a silencer...They have a new cheekrest that can be adjusted side to side instead of just up and down..I need to get this and their new action locks screws with the new posi lock washer setup.. Depending on which action and what magazine lengths are available, make sure you get the right mag tabs for any you might want to run..for my long action Remington I have all 3 for the 3.715, 3.775 & 3.850CIP mags...I also use MPA's one piece scope mount..very impressed with it as well and it is very light and very well made..no issue with hot 300 rum recoil and holding a heavy ass razor 4.5-27-56 scope with zero movement..And the last thing I can think of, one of the barricade stops is a must have if you ever shoot off anything other then a bipod or bench...Those are the accessories I found most useful....

Their rat mount with a NC PRS bolted straight to it...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, they have lots of choices, including anything new can be refitted to an older chassis, but here is what I have found to be worth the have...First do the bag rider instead of the monopod unless you really like monopods, I find a rear bag to be more steady...Next, do the spigot mount..it really helps getting the bipod out there further, I did mine with the Swiss-Arca mount instead of a picatinny rail(An NC atlas screws right onto their Swiss-Arca plate as well)...which means the bipod can go right from the spigot and right onto the Swiss-Arca rail machined into the chassis...If you use a magneto speed, they have a mount for it as well, with or without a silencer...They have a new cheekrest that can be adjusted side to side instead of just up and down..I need to get this and their new action locks screws with the new posi lock washer setup.. Depending on which action and what magazine lengths are available, make sure you get the right mag tabs for any you might want to run..for my long action Remington I have all 3 for the 3.715, 3.775 & 3.850CIP mags...I also use MPA's one piece scope mount..very impressed with it as well and it is very light and very well made..no issue with hot 300 rum recoil and holding a heavy ass razor 4.5-27-56 scope with zero movement..And the last thing I can think of, one of the barricade stops is a must have if you ever shoot off anything other then a bipod or bench...Those are the accessories I found most useful....

Their rat mount with a NC PRS bolted straight to it...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/khRZpQaARMeP25Qa8MXTFA_jpg-727457.JPG
View Quote
Wow! thank you!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't have one, but those are some nice looking rifles.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#15]
Originally Posted By OIF_Vet08-09:
At the price point they appear to be a great deal. I am looking to rebuild a bolt action right now and I keep going back and forth between a rebuild or just buying the MPA rifle.
View Quote

I was in the same boat.  Bought an action and was looking at barrels.

A buddy had an older MPA.  I shot it and liked it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Just shot mine for the first time yesterday.
Mine is a 6.5cm with the Curtis action. Shot 140 ELD's( which it's chambered for) into one hole at a 100. The Chassis is very ergonomic and extremely well built. The action is slicker than cat shit and fed out of the suplied Pmag like butter.

Also had a couple questions about the action and the owner of Curtis called me and sent video to help... it was about 9:30 on a Friday night. That to me is a guy who stands behind his product, and doesn't abandon his customer after the sale.
Priced where it's at and combined with that kind of performance you can see why they are gaining popularity fast.

Buy with confidence
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrydouglaswhitaker] [#17]
In a heavy gun like a MPA 6.5 very little
@Yarael
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Great company. Lots of innovation and always upgrading. Regardless of what the action or build is, i WILL have a competition rid in an MPA chassis one day. Soon. Ish.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
What mags for the 6.5 do you suggest? Binder or no binder?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Fleetsbay23:
What mags for the 6.5 do you suggest? Binder or no binder?
View Quote
I like MDT mags, but pmags will work too.

I load Berger hybrids to 2.88 so I can just scrape by with a binder plate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Tikka T3 in MPA chassis. YHM .30 cal phantom suppressor
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#22]

I was in the same boat.  Bought an action and was looking at barrels.

A buddy had an older MPA.  I shot it and liked it.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#23]
It’s the best value in precision rifles IMO. I may buy one in 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot production class PRS next year. The triggertech special is one of the best triggers(short of the Diamond) on the market. Curtis action (Axiom clone) will take shouldered prefit barrels if you ever want to change caliber and upgrade. The MPA brakes are BRUTAL to shoot next to, but effective in reducing recoil.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-pro-competition-rifle/

any thoughts on the rifle for the PRS production class?  
MPA BA PMR “Pro” Competition Rifle in 6.5CM
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]
My brother has one. Very very nice rifle.
Did I mention it’s like..super very nice?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top