Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/7/2022 1:19:20 PM EDT
Not sure what the hivemind thinks about these shorty bolt actions here on ARFCOM, but I cannot be the only one that thinks they just look really awesome and fun.  I have been looking at something like this for a while trying to try and justify one for myself.  They seem so impractical at first glance, maybe they are.  I finally came to the conclusion that the only justification I needed was that I wanted one!  I was looking for a discussion thread on these guns before I picked mine up and couldn't find one, so I figured I would start it myself since I picked up this beauty at my LGS last week.  There are several of them out and Im sure many guys have made their own.  I prefer a chassis for these types, but I know some of us have SBRd and cut down an old Mosin or the likes.  I had to do some research to even find out the manufacturers that put them out, and I m sure that I didnt even find them all...  I wanted a short 300 AAC BLK in bolt action so that I could be as quiet as possible...

Here is my choice.  This is a Christensen Arms MPP chambered in 300 BLK.  It has a 7.5" Barrel.  The thing that helped sell me was the 1:5 twist.   I also love the carbon fiber.  I wanted to make sure the bullet was stabilized since I was going to be primarily shooting suppressed.  I figured it the Sig rattler uses the twist rate on the 5.5" it would definitely work.  I still need to change the muzzle devise so i can run my Elite Iron Bravo 1 on here.  And I am going to put some magnified glass on here maybe an LPVO, but maybe something with more top end if it proves to be able to make longer range hits.  

This is the day I bought it I put about 5 rounds through it with no optic at my property.  I did find out it has ejection problems.  I shot both super and sub, and it did not eject any of the rounds.  It did extract them from the chamber, just no ejection.  

This was yesterday in my backyard when I was sitting out back watching the smoker...

Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jlgil73] [#1]
Here is a list that of these that I will update as new products come out, or people let me know about them.

Christensen Arms MPP
Q Mini Fix
Bergara Sidekick
JTAC Elf Owl
Black Collar Arms Pork Sword ( kits for now I believe)
Savage 110 PCS
Remington CP
Gear Head Works One (current production schedule unclear)
B&T 300 SPR (discontinued)
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
that christensen arms pistol is awesome , i want one in 300 blk now

here's my contribution to the thread.  it's a homebrew built around a remington 700 action with a 13.5" mcgowen barrel in 308 with a 1in10 twist

i will be loading mostly subs for it but will also see how it does out to 500 with supers also

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
that christensen arms pistol is awesome , i want one in 300 blk now

here's my contribution to the thread.  it's a homebrew built around a remington 700 action with a 13.5" mcgowen barrel in 308 with a 1in10 twist

i will be loading mostly subs for it but will also see how it does out to 500 with supers also

https://i.postimg.cc/1XGhbTkD/20211226_161835.jpg

View Quote

That's an awesome rig.  Love short 308's.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:46:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: west2746] [#4]
Gearhead works “one”

Not sure if still in production or not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Does a gas-less side-charging AR count as a boot action?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
View Quote

I'd have to say unfortunately not...
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I vote yes. It’s basically a spring assisted straight pull bolt action
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:

I vote yes. It's basically a spring assisted straight pull bolt action
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I vote yes. It's basically a spring assisted straight pull bolt action
i'd say yes also , just to be able to see that bad boy
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

What chassis setup is that? I must have this gun! I have a 16.5" 308 but these little micro bolt actions like the OP's have always intrigued me.

Maybe something I can shoot subsonic 308 out of? Brownells had short action actions in stock last week.
View Quote

It is the Q SideChick chassis...
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Just picked up a Uintah bolt action upper in .300Blk for my SBR. Doesn't look very short set up like this, but it's a 10.5" barrel.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Ok, I'll have to use indian creek design or another cheaper option haha.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:

It is the Q SideChick chassis...

Ok, I'll have to use indian creek design or another cheaper option haha.

yes Q sidechick chassis , it's pretty awesome

there are alot of decent chassis out there to build on , i almost picked up a yankee hill mark chassis but kind of fell into the sidechick

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#14]
This build is coming together nicely.  I finally got an optic for her and changed the muzzle devise so I could run my Elite Iron suppressor on her.  I also threw on a GG&G Bipod.  This gun as purchased only weighs a claimed 4.4 lbs so I wanted to keep her as light as possible.  I chose the Leupold Mk3 HD 4-12x40.  I picked it up used, it came with the Seekins low rings.  I will likely need to get higher rings so I can move the optic forward for better eye relief due to the short LOP.  Right now the magnification ring touches if it is any more forward.   If she turns out to be reliable, I will probably SBR her and pick up a LW direct thread titanium can.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:14:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#15]

I vote yes. It’s basically a spring assisted straight pull bolt action
View Quote

Originally Posted By 1iviper:
i'd say yes also , just to be able to see that bad boy
View Quote

Ok...

300 blackout; 7” barrel
SBR Lower
BCA side charging upper
no gas tube for extra quietness
Q Full Nelson
Sig Bravo 5 Prism Scope
Federal AE 220gr SMK
Popper/Gong @ 210 yards
35MOA of drop - LOL

210 yard gong; no fancy rest or bipod or bags...

To really get a sense of it, note the volume of the crickets and the gong that’s 200+ yards away.  It’s no shit as quiet as my integral 22LR.  It’s the quietest gun I’ve ever heard.  

Once we figured out the drop (had to hold 5+ MOA under the bottom of the reticle - LOL) we were hitting like 50% at 200yds.  It shoots about 1” at 50yds with AE 220’s and Remington 220‘s and S&B 200’s ... I think it’s going about 930 FPS based on the drops.

The Bravo 3 and Bravo 5 prism optics are really cool for blackout, too.  Dual BDC tree that lets you (theoretically/ideally) zero 110 supers at 100yd with drops to 600yd and then has a second set of drops points for subs from 50 to 200 yards.  I don’t shoot any supers through this, but the drops do agree with my ballistics app if I did... I guess it depends on if you get lucky with a rifle that doesn’t throw supers or subs with a lot of left/right offset.  And the optics themselves are sharp, incredibly flat edge to edge, nuclear daylight bright center, and the FOV kicks even ACOGs ass; at it’s got more FOV than 3x/3.5x/4x ACOGs...
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#16]
This build is coming together nicely.  I finally got an optic for her and changed the muzzle devise so I could run my Elite Iron suppressor on her.  I also threw on a GG&G Bipod.  This gun as purchased only weighs a claimed 4.4 lbs so I wanted to keep her as light as possible.  I chose the Leupold Mk3 HD 4-12x40.  I picked it up used, it came with the Seekins low rings.  I will likely need to get higher rings so I can move the optic forward for better eye relief due to the short LOP.  Right now the magnification ring touches if it is any more forward.   If she turns out to be reliable, I will probably SBR her and pick up a LW direct thread titanium can.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51949170943_87f23c07bd_k.jpg" target="_blank">https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51949170943_87f23c07bd_k.jpg
View Quote
that little rifle is turning out tits

you know she's going to be a great shooter , might as well get the paperwork started

if you got a lemon from christensen arms i'd be surprised
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Ok...

300 blackout; 7" barrel
SBR Lower
BCA side charging upper
no gas tube for extra quietness
Q Full Nelson
Sig Bravo 5 Prism Scope
Federal AE 220gr SMK
Popper/Gong @ 210 yards
35MOA of drop - LOL

210 yard gong; no fancy rest or bipod or bags...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3fnG5Uv4z4

To really get a sense of it, note the volume of the crickets and the gong that's 200+ yards away.  It's no shit as quiet as my integral 22LR.  It's the quietest gun I've ever heard.  

Once we figured out the drop (had to hold 5+ MOA under the bottom of the reticle - LOL) we were hitting like 50% at 200yds.  It shoots about 1" at 50yds with AE 220's and Remington 220's and S&B 200's ... I think it's going about 930 FPS based on the drops.

The Bravo 3 and Bravo 5 prism optics are really cool for blackout, too.  Dual BDC tree that lets you (theoretically/ideally) zero 110 supers at 100yd with drops to 600yd and then has a second set of drops points for subs from 50 to 200 yards.  I don't shoot any supers through this, but the drops do agree with my ballistics app if I did... I guess it depends on if you get lucky with a rifle that doesn't throw supers or subs with a lot of left/right offset.  And the optics themselves are sharp, incredibly flat edge to edge, nuclear daylight bright center, and the FOV kicks even ACOGs ass; at it's got more FOV than 3x/3.5x/4x ACOGs...
View Quote
i like it , two thumbs up
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:10:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#18]
My Christensen Arms MPP, optic, mount, and suppressor not shown

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

(listed in the EE)
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51949170943_87f23c07bd_k.jpg
View Quote

That MPP looks killer, outfitted like that. Nice to finally see one, ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Clint50:

That MPP looks killer, outfitted like that. Nice to finally see one, ready to go.
View Quote

Thanks.  I haven't found any pics anywhere of another one done up either...
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Thanks.  I haven't found any pics anywhere of another one done up either...
View Quote

These MPP's are sweet little weapons.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]
No one else have one of these type pistols?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
No one else have one of these type pistols?
View Quote

Im sure there are, but they probably just are not seeing this thread...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I just found this Thread by chance and i am absolutely in Love

Are there any other manufactureres that build guns like that, maybe at a little less than the 2.4k for the CA ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Baq:
I just found this Thread by chance and i am absolutely in Love

Are there any other manufactureres that build guns like that, maybe at a little less than the 2.4k for the CA ?
View Quote

The second post has the ones I'm aware of. Remington, savage, and bergara all make them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Love that Carbon Fiber...

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Just stuck my Steiner P4Xi and Warne QD mount on my MPP today, for grins.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Just stuck my Steiner P4Xi and Warne QD mount on my MPP today, for grins.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52988/MPP-14_JPG-2344816.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52988/MPP-15_JPG-2344817.JPG
View Quote

Want.

What's the barrel length on that?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#29]
Originally Posted By PA452:

Want.

What's the barrel length on that?
View Quote

7.5" barrel with 1/5 twist
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Made a couple small changes.  I changed the grip to a MK Machine Precision Vertical Crossover Grip (same as Driven Arms Co grip)  I also changed to a higher ring to move the scope forward a bit.  The lower Seekens Rings that I had would not clear the magnifier ring on the rail.  So these NF came up on the EE.  Also have it in the LRA Bi-Pod to keep the carbon fiber theme.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:55:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#31]
Made a couple small changes.  I changed the grip to a MK Machine Precision Vertical Crossover Grip (same as Driven Arms Co grip)  I also changed to a higher ring to move the scope forward a bit.  The lower Seekens Rings that I had would not clear the magnifier ring on the rail.  So these NF came up on the EE.  Also have it in the LRA Bi-Pod to keep the carbon fiber theme.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52003889307_3aabe610e4_k.jpg
View Quote

Really like that new bipod but those are probably too rich for my blood, price-wise. I'll probably go with either a Magpul or Atlas, for my MPP.
That grip is a cool piece, too. I've got a Fortis Mfg Torque carbon fiber pistol grip, on order.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Had the MPP out yesterday...  

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Taggage
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I love these guns and really wanted one. However, I have not yet been able to come up with a use that isn't already covered by something else I own.

Small rifle caliber? Rattler. Small PCC? Flux Glock. Cheap quiet plinking? savage 22 with cans and sub.
the spy/assassin movie fan in me loves them, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I "need" one. As soon as I come up with a reason though I'll get one. Seems like it would make an amazing hunting rifle in places that are either no semi-auto or have a different pistol and rifle season. But I don't hunt
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I love these guns and really wanted one. However, I have not yet been able to come up with a use that isn't already covered by something else I own.

Small rifle caliber? Rattler. Small PCC? Flux Glock. Cheap quiet plinking? savage 22 with cans and sub.
the spy/assassin movie fan in me loves them, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I "need" one. As soon as I come up with a reason though I'll get one. Seems like it would make an amazing hunting rifle in places that are either no semi-auto or have a different pistol and rifle season. But I don't hunt
View Quote

Since when is gun ownership about "need"??  BTW, Unique, cool, fun, "want" have always been good enough reasons for me...  

However, If you are looking for a reason, Alabama Aresnal's Youtube page has a q Mini Fix in 300BLK making hits at 1k yards with subs.  That's why I "need" this.  To try and do that!

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

I just wrapped this goofy SOB up, and I love it. 285 grain subsonics are hilarious. I got them down to under 700 FPS before they no longer stabilize. Going to try some 185 Lapua open tips for supers, see how that goes.

It has a Harris mounted to a 7" MDT Arca rail, but it didn't balance nicely for the picture
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WhiteDingo:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65278/IMG_20220429_115400676_HDR_jpg-2370307.JPG

I just wrapped this goofy SOB up, and I love it. 285 grain subsonics are hilarious. I got them down to under 700 FPS before they no longer stabilize. Going to try some 185 Lapua open tips for supers, see how that goes.

It has a Harris mounted to a 7" MDT Arca rail, but it didn't balance nicely for the picture
View Quote

What's the caliber? Which 285 you using?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:43:04 AM EDT
[#38]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65278/IMG_20220429_115400676_HDR_jpg-2370307.JPG

View Quote

I love it!  We NEED details!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

What's the caliber? Which 285 you using?
View Quote

It's chambered in 9x39 Russian with the PT&G reamer and Green Mountain barrel blank. The 17.5" blank was chopped squarely in half, finished barrel length is about 8.5"
I didn't feel like offsetting the tailstock and turning a taper contour, so I turned the barrel down to 1.165" (just under receiver diameter) and cut a big 'ole 4 pitch ball thread to shed some weight. Reminds me of the Type 99 or DSHK barrels. Threaded for my Rex MG7K with 9mm bore.

Initial test firing was done with Norma Oryx bonded soft points, but I have some Hornady 250GMX and Nosler 286gr flat point solids to try as well.
It's been a super easy cartridge to fire form. Just neck up, load to the lands, and shoot. The 7.62 case has more body taper than the 9x39, so there's not really a shoulder when you resize.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Cool deal. That caliber intrigues me and when the Wolf started coming in I looked into it a bit but it got hosed by Covid shortages like so many others. I hope we see more domestic options. Any weirdness getting it to feed?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Cool deal. That caliber intrigues me and when the Wolf started coming in I looked into it a bit but it got hosed by Covid shortages like so many others. I hope we see more domestic options. Any weirdness getting it to feed?
View Quote

No issues out of the Howa 7.62/Grendel magazines, but they're only 5 rounds.

I'm definitely bummed about the lack of imported ammo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#42]

It's chambered in 9x39 Russian with the PT&G reamer and Green Mountain barrel blank. The 17.5" blank was chopped squarely in half, finished barrel length is about 8.5"
I didn't feel like offsetting the tailstock and turning a taper contour, so I turned the barrel down to 1.165" (just under receiver diameter) and cut a big 'ole 4 pitch ball thread to shed some weight. Reminds me of the Type 99 or DSHK barrels. Threaded for my Rex MG7K with 9mm bore.

Initial test firing was done with Norma Oryx bonded soft points, but I have some Hornady 250GMX and Nosler 286gr flat point solids to try as well.
It's been a super easy cartridge to fire form. Just neck up, load to the lands, and shoot. The 7.62 case has more body taper than the 9x39, so there's not really a shoulder when you resize.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65278/IMG_20220427_202524061_2_jpg-2370642.JPG
View Quote

That is so cool and unique.  Very fitting for this thread!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

It’s had a bolt and you have to manually operate the action so why not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
yup , that's "bad ass approved"
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#45]
Has anyone necked up a 6.5 Creedmoor case to .338?
I know about the .338 federal but hear me out.    I have a ton of 6.5 brass and just because it doesn’t make sense to do doesn’t mean its not fun just to do it.

I have a virgin bighorn origin action and a older XLR chassis that has the old modular tube setup.   I’m a shouldered prefit away from a diy pistol.  

Necking up the 6.5C just seems like something that would upset the Fudds.  .338 Manbun Thumper

Seriously doing a .338 federal as a subsonic pistol has crossed my mind.  300 grain SMK would have decent reach I’d think.
.750 BC under 1800 fps is what’s advertised

Edit
Looks like the 8.6 Creedmoor is already a thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Yup the new 8.6 Blackout is pretty close. It’s not just  a neck up though I’m pretty sure it’s shortened a bit to allow those long ass 338 bullets
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Yup the new 8.6 Blackout is pretty close. It’s not just  a neck up though I’m pretty sure it’s shortened a bit to allow those long ass 338 bullets
View Quote

The 8.6 blackout was going to be called 8.6 creedmoor.   What started with me being sarcastic may actually be a cool pistol round.

I didn’t get around to mentioning it, but what I’d really like is a 9mm bolt action pistol with a length appropriate action.   I’m not sure how much demand there would be.  It would be a very cool suppressor host with 147 subs.   The draw would be cheap to shoot especially if reloading.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mc556:

The 8.6 blackout was going to be called 8.6 creedmoor.   What started with me being sarcastic may actually be a cool pistol round.

I didn’t get around to mentioning it, but what I’d really like is a 9mm bolt action pistol with a length appropriate action.   I’m not sure how much demand there would be.  It would be a very cool suppressor host with 147 subs.   The draw would be cheap to shoot especially if reloading.
View All Quotes

There was a thread on Snipershide with some 9mm bolt action pre order but I think it was a 700 based action which didn't make any sense to me. I totally agree that a dedicated 9mm sized or just pistol caliber sized action would be pretty cool. Something like a toggle or straight pull with high cap mags would be fantastic. Couple people have converted the Armscor/RIA 22 TCM bolt actions to 9mm with some success.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

There was a thread on Snipershide with some 9mm bolt action pre order but I think it was a 700 based action which didn't make any sense to me. I totally agree that a dedicated 9mm sized or just pistol caliber sized action would be pretty cool. Something like a toggle or straight pull with high cap mags would be fantastic. I think the reason we don't see them is most prefer a semi auto. Couple people have converted the Armscor/RIA 22 TCM bolt actions to 9mm with some success.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

There was a thread on Snipershide with some 9mm bolt action pre order but I think it was a 700 based action which didn't make any sense to me. I totally agree that a dedicated 9mm sized or just pistol caliber sized action would be pretty cool. Something like a toggle or straight pull with high cap mags would be fantastic. I think the reason we don't see them is most prefer a semi auto. Couple people have converted the Armscor/RIA 22 TCM bolt actions to 9mm with some success.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top