Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2019 7:38:13 PM EDT
I am a first time user of Tempilaq. My Tempilaq is the consistency of bad model paint. Watery with small clumps of the substance sticking and drying on the casing. It is almost looking dry as there is still darker areas in the thickest part of the brushed on goop. Is this normal?
I don't want to overcook, or not actually anneal my brass.

Z
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is normal, but they make a thinner that you add to get rid of the clumps and make it spread better...I normally go thru about a 1/2 bottle of thinner per bottle of tempilaq...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
That's normal. I shake the heck out of the bottle and just use a small dab on the inside the case mouth. Doesn't take much.

As AKSR indicates, you can use the thinner it to make the bottle last longer or if the paint gets too thick for your liking. I put the cap on immediately after dabbing a few cases and haven't needed to use the thinner yet. Same bottle for 3 years now, but I'm using a machine and just need to mark about 6-8 cases when running 100 - 500 cases through the machine.

The thickness of the paint doesn't effect the paint's ability to register the temperature threshold. The paint color disappears when the designated temperature is reached.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:18:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#3]
Thank for the replies.

ETA - The brass stays hot longer than I thought it would. The aim of the flame seems to be key as well. Getting the heat to go about 1/8" past the shoulder requires adjusting the aim of the torch different from 308 to 6.5cm.

Thanks again.

Z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top